June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Because of various circumstances, I have had to shift my workouts to the morning before work. I won't go into detail here, but it's the best thing for my mental health to get it done before work.

I am NOT a morning person, so getting up early is very tough. Luckily I have a fiance to prepare my chai and wake me up. :smile:

Today was a walk day. 3 miles in the AM and a couple additional breaks to get more steps during the day. I will also be doing yoga after work. (Doing yoga after work is also good for my mental health!)

Tomorrow will be a running day, and my goal will be 2.5 miles again.

Hang on to that fiance of yours ;) My husband's response to the alarm going off at 4:30 AM was "You're insane".

My fiance is usually up by 5:30, even on weekends. He's weird that way.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    01/06 3.52 miles
    05/06 3.09 miles

exercise.png

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @lporter229, @RespectTheKitty, @polskagirl01, @midwesterner85: High five and lots of respect to anyone who's managing to get up early even though they struggle with mornings! I'm fine in the morning so long as I get enough sleep and it's still a drag getting out of bed sometimes - I don't know if I could do it if I genuinely wasn't a morning person. I feel very grateful this isn't the case as the weather in the early morning has been quite a lot cooler than the rest of the day - I grew up in California and it's really strange to me that it very often doesn't cool off after dark in the Midwest until quite late into the night/morning.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I don't like Coppertone Sport either - although it's not the smell, it's the stickiness that bothers me. Since you mentioned it I picked up the Neutrogena Cooldry and turns out I like it much better and so far it doesn't seem to give me heat rash, which is a problem I have with most lotion sunscreens. Thanks for the recommendation!

5k through the woods for my husband and me, heat was almost tolerable since the humidity was low. Tomorrow we're under an Orange Air Quality alert so I'm glad we got a run in today. I need to start running before the sun comes up but when I get up that early, I collapse at about 8 pm and don't get anything done!

exercise.png
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    On the topic of morning runs - I'm not a morning person at all. But as we are now in the 90F+ season for afternoons, I may have to start.

ETA: I need to be at work by 7:15am, so to run + shower in the morning, I need to wake up before sunrise.

That's what I do. I get up at 4am to do my runs.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    It was 110 yesterday. Last Sunday I was dying by 8 am heat. I get up at 4am, out the doir between 415 and 430 and am at work at 7 am.

Its hard. I feel more tired during the day but also more content. And on my rest days I feel off not running. When I get to longer workouts during the week not sure what I will do. I can get in up to 45 minutes.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @bride001 I was going to take a rest day tomorrow but I’m going to push it off until
    Thursday and run tomorrow.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    6/1 14miles
    6/2 6miles (walk)
    6/3 rest
    6/4 6.71miles
    6/5 8miles

Felt great today! The weather was warm, but not muggy. I did 8 miles at an average pace of 9:30. I didn’t even take water with me and I felt ok. I was thirsty by the end, but I made it back to the car ok. Thought about stopping at McDonalds and asking for a cup of ice water, but didn’t know if they’d want me to buy something too.

Here, restaurants are required by law to give ice water, but they don't have to give it in a certain sized cup. So ice water cups are about the size of a Dixie cup. And there's no law that says the restaurant has to be pleasant about it! They tend to give you the stank eye when you walk in off the street and ask for ice, which I used to do a lot as a teen who had to walk in the heat.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I don't like Coppertone Sport either - although it's not the smell, it's the stickiness that bothers me. Since you mentioned it I picked up the Neutrogena Cooldry and turns out I like it much better and so far it doesn't seem to give me heat rash, which is a problem I have with most lotion sunscreens. Thanks for the recommendation!

5k through the woods for my husband and me, heat was almost tolerable since the humidity was low. Tomorrow we're under an Orange Air Quality alert so I'm glad we got a run in today. I need to start running before the sun comes up but when I get up that early, I collapse at about 8 pm and don't get anything done!

exercise.png

Hey cool, you’re welcome! Neutrogena makes a stick sunscreen that I use on my face but is a pain to apply more broadly, so when I ran out of lotion (which ive never been good about applying) I tried their spray and was surprised how quickly the sticky feel fades. I was hoping for a less expensive alternative in the Coppertone but that experiment was not a success. The smell was the worst for me, but I didn’t love the stickiness either.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    IM 70.3 Muncie Training

Goals 6/4/18 - 6/10/18:
    Run: 50 miles
    TSS > 650

June Running:
    06.01.18 - 8 miles.
    06.02.18 - 11 miles.
    06.03.18 - 6.5 miles. Weekly TSS 497 / Weekly Miles 41.5
    06.04.18 - 9.5 miles. (CT - Swim 900 yds)
    06.05.18 - 7 miles. EZ Right Knee pain.

Fall Running Events:
    10.14.18 - Lake Tahoe Marathon
    10.21.18 - Atlantic City Marathon
    11.03.18 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
    12.08.18 - Tucson Marathon

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I admire all you early morning runners. Maybe someday, but I'm fortunate my work schedule does not require the 4-5 am start that some of you need.

I also use Neutrogena sunscreen, the ultra-sheer dry touch spray and lotion. I really like it. I have also tried the drug store brand that's basically the same thing and been happy with it. I keep the spray in my car so I can spray down before any run.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/18 :::: 1.4 :::: 1.4
    06/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 1.4
    06/03/18 :::: 13.1 :::: 14.5
    06/04/18 :::: 0.8 :::: 15.3
    06/05/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 18.9
    Goal = 110 miles

First night of marathon training tonight, officially if not in actual intensity. I will actually usually go on Wednesday nights but tomorrow I have the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, so I swapped to the other group across town. I just did a base run instead of the workout also due to just finishing the HM on Sunday and having the race tomorrow night - although I'm not sure I'll run that one hard either. The last thing I want to do is injure myself at the start of training. Marathon is 20 weeks and 5 days away (I promise I am not planning to count down every day).

We are having unseasonably cool weather here - not to rub it in to those with 90-100 temps but it was chilly today with a high of only 62 F. With the wind tonight I was cold before we started running and contemplated wearing gloves!

Upcoming races:
    6/6/18 JP Morgan Corporate Challenge (3.5 mile), Syracuse NY
    7/8/18 Boilermaker 15K, Utica NY
    8/19/18 Falmouth Road Race (7 miles), Falmouth, MA
    8/26/18 18.12 Challenge, Sackets Harbor, NY??? (not yet signed up)
    10/28/18 Marine Corps Marathon, Arlington VA
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I used coppertone sport and have never noticed a smell. Although I've had it for a few years and the scent formula may have changed. I typically use banana boat dry argan oil spf 8. Face I have banana boat active 100, or cetaphil 50 (not active, but does fine for an hour). I'm out of the coppertone, so I'll make sure to get bull frog next time to avoid and stinkums.

4 am? Y'all. I don't have to be up and gone tomorrow until 11am. No way I'll even consider getting a run in before 4pm. :smiley: although being world running day, I may reconsider. Especially since I over ate today... Now to pop over an confess all my food sins.. :naughty:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    6/1 - CROSS (walk, yoga)
    6/2 - 10 miles
    6/3 - REST
    6/4 - 5.3 (trail)
    6/5 - 3

Decided to for 3 tonight and do a rest day or cross train tomorrow and give an A+ effort to a race pace run on Thursday. Twas hot and now I know why I run before the sun comes up!