Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2018
    steveko89 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So i started reading Lyle McDonalds RFL handbook... This diet is nuts but i might just try it.

For those who have tried it, is compliance as hard as it might seem? Or do you just push through it?

I just finished 4 weeks on it and found it challenging at some points but actually fairly easy for most of the time. It's so rigidly structured that you don't have much room for error. The entire point of it to most efficiently cut fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. So, there isn't a set deficit or carb/fat value; it's as simple as ingesting the proper amount of protein and recommended supplements while reducing carb/fat calories to the bare minimum you can manage. It's not enjoyable - like it gets hard to choke down chicken and egg whites at times. But, in my experience, the results are undeniable. Top key's for me were:
    1. Read the book and take notes, review the website & forums, supplement with reddit r/psmf information, refer back to book, repeat. It's not a perfectly written plan and LM leaves plenty open to interpretation but most of that is minor details that don't matter much in the end.
    2. Have a solid plan. Know your meals/supplements for the entire week and DO NOT deviate.
    3. Follow LM's workout advice. More cardio than he recommends will stall progress and take a serious toll on the body. Lifting weights gets pretty hard and your volume will need reduced. I did a yoga class a couple times that wiped me OUT.
    4. Remember why you're doing this diet and trust the process to be worth the sacrifice.

Certainly 1 phase doesn't make me any sort of expert but I feel like I learned a lot running it so feel free to let me know if you have any questions and I'll let you know my take on it.

- Did you record your calories during those four weeks? What did you average?
    - How much weight did you lose over that span?
    I tracked my intake very specifically (other than 2 refeeds that didn't require close monitoring). Average calories was around 1400/day. Protein requirement was 220g/day.

Forgot to add, lost 16Lbs overall and I'm still stepping up to maintenance so the returning water weight hasn't shown just yet.

Also, I'll make my diary public for a bit in case anyone interested in the most boring list of foods possible lol

Thanks. I am almost done the book now. So I will probably read it next week while i am on travel again. Makes for a good airline read.

Thanks for the input.

ETA, i also have UD2.0 to read to see what i enjoy most.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    New low weigh in on the cut today. That means 800 grams of carbs today for my refeed!!!!! B)

Wine doesn't count as a carb does it? ... rats... :p

Not a fan anyways! I’d rather eat my cals

That's a truckload of carbs. What did that consist of?

More like what didn’t it consist of! Lol here’s a list of what I had:

Potatoes, corn tortillas, tortilla chips, plantains, Black bean beet patty, pita bread, hearty biscuits, pumpkin scone, roasted squash, black/white beans, mixed fruit, brown rice, fat free whipped cream.....hm what else did yesterday consist of..... lol lotsssss of carbs basically.
  • pinggolfer96
    About 3 months in on my cut. Started at 195. 2 days ago I was 176, had a refeed and had 800 grams of carbs as I posted before this lol, 36 hours later I weigh 175.....oh and I ate all of those carbs after ten pm for those bro science dieters lol. 20lbs down, debating whether to start lean bulking but my image pays the bills lol so we will see

h4g6slxami4e.jpeg
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    About 3 months in on my cut. Started at 195. 2 days ago I was 176, had a refeed and had 800 grams of carbs as I posted before this lol, 36 hours later I weigh 175.....oh and I ate all of those carbs after ten pm for those bro science dieters lol. 20lbs down, debating whether to start lean bulking but my image pays the bills lol so we will see

Digging the shoulder veins!

• pinggolfer96
    bioklutz wrote: »

Digging the shoulder veins!

Thanks!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    I vote for a lean bulk! Honestly, you're so lean that if you slow, like 200 to 300 cals above TDEE, you won't gain much fat and you'll be able to maintain your physique.
  • pinggolfer96
    I vote for a lean bulk! Honestly, you're so lean that if you slow, like 200 to 300 cals above TDEE, you won't gain much fat and you'll be able to maintain your physique.

That’s probably what I’ll do. I have project coming up anyways where I’ll need to be slightly bigger or atleast “fuller”. I’m digging right now with calories lol. Had to drop weight fast for something. I finished my bulk at around 5.5-6k calories a day, prob ramp up a 250 cals this week or next and see how it goes depending on my current projects I’m doing
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member

That’s probably what I’ll do. I have project coming up anyways where I’ll need to be slightly bigger or atleast “fuller”. I’m digging right now with calories lol. Had to drop weight fast for something. I finished my bulk at around 5.5-6k calories a day, prob ramp up a 250 cals this week or next and see how it goes depending on my current projects I’m doing

damn.. how tall are you? 6k to bulk sounds great but then I remember top of my bulk at 3500 and it got annoying to eat that much everyday. without eating a ton of garbage anyways
  • pinggolfer96
    jdog022 wrote: »

damn.. how tall are you? 6k to bulk sounds great but then I remember top of my bulk at 3500 and it got annoying to eat that much everyday. without eating a ton of garbage anyways

6’2 with very high tdee
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    @pinggolfer96 nice looking great! I would consider a very lean bulk with mini-cuts when necessary.
  • sardelsa
    I think I *might* actually be in a deficit.. say whattt :p
  • Davidsdottir

Looks like it! I'm actually down from 140 to 137.4 today. Recomp, my butt! LOL
  • sardelsa

You need more donuts ;)
  • Davidsdottir

You need more donuts ;)

I've already had a can of pringles, a burrito, some empanadas, half a bar of chocolate, and toast with nutella today. I'll see if I have time to go grab a donut too!
  • sardelsa

You need more donuts ;)

I've already had a can of pringles, a burrito, some empanadas, half a bar of chocolate, and toast with nutella today. I'll see if I have time to go grab a donut too!

Ooo that all sounds delicious...if you only knew what my cut looked like right now. A bit depressing :'( . But.. I'm having homemade burgers tonight with beer or wine so can't complain too much!
  • sniper300_Rum
    sniper300_Rum Posts: 1,073 Member
    Im trying to bulk alot
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Im trying to bulk alot

"bulk alot" as in bulk quickly or bulk a substantial amount of muscle mass?
  • Davidsdottir

You need more donuts ;)

Ooo that all sounds delicious...if you only knew what my cut looked like right now. A bit depressing :'( . But.. I'm having homemade burgers tonight with beer or wine so can't complain too much!

Beer. Burgers go better with beer ;)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2018

6’2 with very high tdee

Nice. Very lean. I didn't realize how tall you were. I'm 6'1 and for some reason most of the guys I see in my gym are very short and stocky. However, it's nice to be able to grab the pullup bar without having to jump up like a rabbit or use a box. ;)

What's causing the high tdee? Even when I was 240+ I was only eating about 5K and half of that was liquid. I can't imagine stuffing that much down even if I picked at it all day.
  • Davidsdottir
    edited June 2018
    jseams1234 wrote: »

6’2 with very high tdee

Nice. Very lean. I didn't realize how tall you were. I'm 6'1 and for some reason most of the guys I see in my gym are very short and stocky. However, it's nice to be able to grab the pullup bar without having to jump up like a rabbit or use a box. ;)

What's causing the high tdee? Even when I was 240+ I was only eating about 5K and half of that was liquid. I can't imagine stuffing that much down even if I picked at it all day.

What's up with that?! I'd say most of the guys at my gym are close to my height (5'5"). Crazy.