Anyone cutting after a bulk?

11112141617107

Replies

  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,202 Member
    edited June 2018
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I vote for a lean bulk! Honestly, you're so lean that if you slow, like 200 to 300 cals above TDEE, you won't gain much fat and you'll be able to maintain your physique.

    That’s probably what I’ll do. I have project coming up anyways where I’ll need to be slightly bigger or atleast “fuller”. I’m digging right now with calories lol. Had to drop weight fast for something. I finished my bulk at around 5.5-6k calories a day, prob ramp up a 250 cals this week or next and see how it goes depending on my current projects I’m doing

    damn.. how tall are you? 6k to bulk sounds great but then I remember top of my bulk at 3500 and it got annoying to eat that much everyday. without eating a ton of garbage anyways

    6’2 with very high tdee

    Nice. Very lean. I didn't realize how tall you were. I'm 6'1 and for some reason most of the guys I see in my gym are very short and stocky. However, it's nice to be able to grab the pullup bar without having to jump up like a rabbit or use a box. ;)

    What's causing the high tdee? Even when I was 240+ I was only eating about 5K and half of that was liquid. I can't imagine stuffing that much down even if I picked at it all day.

    What's up with that?! I'd say most of the guys at my gym are close to my height (5'5"). Crazy.

    I know, right?

    I've a theory - and it's probably based on a little envy on my end.... but those short dudes seem to be able to pack on a lot of mass in a relatively short time compared to us tall guys and they look beefy and aesthetic relatively quickly. It's annoying sometimes how much mass a tall guy has to pack on to look jacked... and then there is the entire "compensation" theory that the .misc and bb.com subsribe to. ;)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,255 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I vote for a lean bulk! Honestly, you're so lean that if you slow, like 200 to 300 cals above TDEE, you won't gain much fat and you'll be able to maintain your physique.

    That’s probably what I’ll do. I have project coming up anyways where I’ll need to be slightly bigger or atleast “fuller”. I’m digging right now with calories lol. Had to drop weight fast for something. I finished my bulk at around 5.5-6k calories a day, prob ramp up a 250 cals this week or next and see how it goes depending on my current projects I’m doing

    damn.. how tall are you? 6k to bulk sounds great but then I remember top of my bulk at 3500 and it got annoying to eat that much everyday. without eating a ton of garbage anyways

    6’2 with very high tdee

    Nice. Very lean. I didn't realize how tall you were. I'm 6'1 and for some reason most of the guys I see in my gym are very short and stocky. However, it's nice to be able to grab the pullup bar without having to jump up like a rabbit or use a box. ;)

    What's causing the high tdee? Even when I was 240+ I was only eating about 5K and half of that was liquid. I can't imagine stuffing that much down even if I picked at it all day.

    I’m just extremely active. Labor intense work along with training and other factors that all add up!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I vote for a lean bulk! Honestly, you're so lean that if you slow, like 200 to 300 cals above TDEE, you won't gain much fat and you'll be able to maintain your physique.

    That’s probably what I’ll do. I have project coming up anyways where I’ll need to be slightly bigger or atleast “fuller”. I’m digging right now with calories lol. Had to drop weight fast for something. I finished my bulk at around 5.5-6k calories a day, prob ramp up a 250 cals this week or next and see how it goes depending on my current projects I’m doing

    damn.. how tall are you? 6k to bulk sounds great but then I remember top of my bulk at 3500 and it got annoying to eat that much everyday. without eating a ton of garbage anyways

    6’2 with very high tdee

    I was wondering that myself!
    Son is 6'4 at 185 and still on the slender side but making progress.


  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,183 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I vote for a lean bulk! Honestly, you're so lean that if you slow, like 200 to 300 cals above TDEE, you won't gain much fat and you'll be able to maintain your physique.

    That’s probably what I’ll do. I have project coming up anyways where I’ll need to be slightly bigger or atleast “fuller”. I’m digging right now with calories lol. Had to drop weight fast for something. I finished my bulk at around 5.5-6k calories a day, prob ramp up a 250 cals this week or next and see how it goes depending on my current projects I’m doing

    damn.. how tall are you? 6k to bulk sounds great but then I remember top of my bulk at 3500 and it got annoying to eat that much everyday. without eating a ton of garbage anyways

    6’2 with very high tdee

    Nice. Very lean. I didn't realize how tall you were. I'm 6'1 and for some reason most of the guys I see in my gym are very short and stocky. However, it's nice to be able to grab the pullup bar without having to jump up like a rabbit or use a box. ;)

    What's causing the high tdee? Even when I was 240+ I was only eating about 5K and half of that was liquid. I can't imagine stuffing that much down even if I picked at it all day.

    What's up with that?! I'd say most of the guys at my gym are close to my height (5'5"). Crazy.

    I know, right?

    I've a theory - and it's probably based on a little envy on my end.... but those short dudes seem to be able to pack on a lot of mass in a relatively short time compared to us tall guys and they look beefy and aesthetic relatively quickly. It's annoying sometimes how much mass a tall guy has to pack on to look jacked... and then there is the entire "compensation" theory that the .misc and bb.com subsribe to. ;)

    I mean, I get it. I’m between 6’ and 6’1” and feel the need to compensate for my perceived relative lack of height.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    About 3 months in on my cut. Started at 195. 2 days ago I was 176, had a refeed and had 800 grams of carbs as I posted before this lol, 36 hours later I weigh 175.....oh and I ate all of those carbs after ten pm for those bro science dieters lol. 20lbs down, debating whether to start lean bulking but my image pays the bills lol so we will see

    h4g6slxami4e.jpeg

    I would lean bulk starting now. I usually go by visually (if you have access to a dexa scan, it would be more accurate however), in my case, the moment I see 6-8 packs abs on me clearly, that's a usually a sign that it's time to lean bulk again and I can definitely see your abs popping, cutting wouldn't do you any favors unless your prepping up for a show or a photoshoot where you are required to be super shredded. Good job by the way.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,255 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    About 3 months in on my cut. Started at 195. 2 days ago I was 176, had a refeed and had 800 grams of carbs as I posted before this lol, 36 hours later I weigh 175.....oh and I ate all of those carbs after ten pm for those bro science dieters lol. 20lbs down, debating whether to start lean bulking but my image pays the bills lol so we will see

    h4g6slxami4e.jpeg

    I would lean bulk starting now. I usually go by visually (if you have access to a dexa scan, it would be more accurate however), in my case, the moment I see 6-8 packs abs on me clearly, that's a usually a sign that it's time to lean bulk again and I can definitely see your abs popping, cutting wouldn't do you any favors unless your prepping up for a show or a photoshoot where you are required to be super shredded. Good job by the way.
    fb47 wrote: »
    About 3 months in on my cut. Started at 195. 2 days ago I was 176, had a refeed and had 800 grams of carbs as I posted before this lol, 36 hours later I weigh 175.....oh and I ate all of those carbs after ten pm for those bro science dieters lol. 20lbs down, debating whether to start lean bulking but my image pays the bills lol so we will see

    h4g6slxami4e.jpeg

    I would lean bulk starting now. I usually go by visually (if you have access to a dexa scan, it would be more accurate however), in my case, the moment I see 6-8 packs abs on me clearly, that's a usually a sign that it's time to lean bulk again and I can definitely see your abs popping, cutting wouldn't do you any favors unless your prepping up for a show or a photoshoot where you are required to be super shredded. Good job by the way.

    I usually give the same advice regarding when to start bulking cause most people don’t have a competition. Unfortunately (and fortunately lol), my image and aesthetics pays the bills.....
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 695 Member
    well back to cutting tomorrow. This week off of vacation was probably 3500-5000 per day over 6 days. probably never met my protein goals. So nothing crazy cal wise and plenty of waking. real interested to see what I weigh in a few days. pretty damn bloated at the moment. I did my best to let go, not track etc but it was admittedly very hard. This is really my first real whatever week in two years.

    anyhow.. Considering this a solid refeed and reset of leptin lol and I have a tennis elbow problem I'm hoping feels much better.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 695 Member
    I uh... didn't gain a single ounce. go figure
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    I regret replying to this thread. The notifications never stop!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    I regret replying to this thread. The notifications never stop!

    Just remove the star at the top next to the title
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I regret replying to this thread. The notifications never stop!

    Just remove the star at the top next to the title

    It’s not that, I never stared it and it isn’t stared currently. Supposedly, when you reply to a thread, you’ll get notifications forever unless you turn off ALL notifications.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    edited June 2018
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I regret replying to this thread. The notifications never stop!

    Just remove the star at the top next to the title

    It’s not that, I never stared it and it isn’t stared currently. Supposedly, when you reply to a thread, you’ll get notifications forever unless you turn off ALL notifications.

    I don't get any notifications for threads I replied to unless I star them. Maybe it's something in your settings.

    Here in notification settings, untick the last box

    bzjvyhe97tns.jpg
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,202 Member
    ufg36fcluuiu.png
    I regret replying to this thread. The notifications never stop!

  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,295 Member
    So, after like 2 weeks of recomping after my bulk I'm back to bulking a little because I dropped like 4 lbs. Blah.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    So, after like 2 weeks of recomping after my bulk I'm back to bulking a little because I dropped like 4 lbs. Blah.

    But that's pretty standard after you lose a lot of water and food volume. I dropped from 144 to 141 in a week but then my weight loss just stopped.

    Why did you stop your bulk in the first place though, if it wasn't because of body composition (bodyfat getting too high) I don't see why you couldn't keep going.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,295 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So, after like 2 weeks of recomping after my bulk I'm back to bulking a little because I dropped like 4 lbs. Blah.

    But that's pretty standard after you lose a lot of water and food volume. I dropped from 144 to 141 in a week but then my weight loss just stopped.

    Why did you stop your bulk in the first place though, if it wasn't because of body composition (bodyfat getting too high) I don't see why you couldn't keep going.

    When I stopped, I wasn't taking into account the drop in water weight, so I wasn't really thinking straight until I saw the scale so far under where I want to be. I'm mostly just tired of eating so much. I was still on 2800, so I didn't really think I'd drop. Back to 3k for while.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So, after like 2 weeks of recomping after my bulk I'm back to bulking a little because I dropped like 4 lbs. Blah.

    But that's pretty standard after you lose a lot of water and food volume. I dropped from 144 to 141 in a week but then my weight loss just stopped.

    Why did you stop your bulk in the first place though, if it wasn't because of body composition (bodyfat getting too high) I don't see why you couldn't keep going.

    When I stopped, I wasn't taking into account the drop in water weight, so I wasn't really thinking straight until I saw the scale so far under where I want to be. I'm mostly just tired of eating so much. I was still on 2800, so I didn't really think I'd drop. Back to 3k for while.

    Yea I hear ya. It can get to be a lot. But now I miss it because I'm on like 2200-2400 .. brutal. :s
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,295 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So, after like 2 weeks of recomping after my bulk I'm back to bulking a little because I dropped like 4 lbs. Blah.

    But that's pretty standard after you lose a lot of water and food volume. I dropped from 144 to 141 in a week but then my weight loss just stopped.

    Why did you stop your bulk in the first place though, if it wasn't because of body composition (bodyfat getting too high) I don't see why you couldn't keep going.

    When I stopped, I wasn't taking into account the drop in water weight, so I wasn't really thinking straight until I saw the scale so far under where I want to be. I'm mostly just tired of eating so much. I was still on 2800, so I didn't really think I'd drop. Back to 3k for while.

    Yea I hear ya. It can get to be a lot. But now I miss it because I'm on like 2200-2400 .. brutal. :s

    My TDEE is huge because I never stop moving lol
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,183 Member
    That note about TDEE has sparked many questions and subsequently, I seek the wisdom of those here in this thread, many of whom have achieved a level of lean I’ve not yet accomplished.

    Overall, should I be doing more?
    My TDEE is only 2450 at present. I lift for about an hour 5 days per week on a modified program largely based on PHUL and adjusted for MAV volume ranges. I’ve posted pictures previously but would be happy to take current photos this evening or tomorrow morning if that would be helpful. I finally got things going on my cut from a recent high moving average weigh of 176.8 on 5/21, though since 6/1 I’ve been pretty flat, bouncing between 172 and 175. Granted, I could be more consistent hitting my calorie and macro goals, have had a disproportionate number of family gathering and crap to attend over the last two weeks, though I’ve still averaged a deficit, a small one at around 200 cals/day. I aim for 1800 cals, 200g protein daily, loosely keep carbs <100g and don’t fuss about fat much. Aside from the obvious of buckling down to my target calories, does anyone see anything more I should be trying to get to a quality lean bf%? Steeper deficit? cardio? Calorie and/or carb cycling? Or do I just need to buck up and execute my current cal/macros?

  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 695 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    That note about TDEE has sparked many questions and subsequently, I seek the wisdom of those here in this thread, many of whom have achieved a level of lean I’ve not yet accomplished.

    Overall, should I be doing more?
    My TDEE is only 2450 at present. I lift for about an hour 5 days per week on a modified program largely based on PHUL and adjusted for MAV volume ranges. I’ve posted pictures previously but would be happy to take current photos this evening or tomorrow morning if that would be helpful. I finally got things going on my cut from a recent high moving average weigh of 176.8 on 5/21, though since 6/1 I’ve been pretty flat, bouncing between 172 and 175. Granted, I could be more consistent hitting my calorie and macro goals, have had a disproportionate number of family gathering and crap to attend over the last two weeks, though I’ve still averaged a deficit, a small one at around 200 cals/day. I aim for 1800 cals, 200g protein daily, loosely keep carbs <100g and don’t fuss about fat much. Aside from the obvious of buckling down to my target calories, does anyone see anything more I should be trying to get to a quality lean bf%? Steeper deficit? cardio? Calorie and/or carb cycling? Or do I just need to buck up and execute my current cal/macros?

    What would you guess your BF is at now and how low you want to go? When was the last time you dropped cals. What were they before drop

    Concerned about the Fat statement. Do you get at least 50g?