How did you meet your SO?

Replies

• ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,002 Member
    met in middle school...5 yrs later started dating senior year of high school. married 31 yrs
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    These are so nice!

I met my OH on OKCupid. He had read my profile and the first thing he said was "asleep in various places? How does that work?" in response to something on my profile that I can't even remember. His profile was interesting and he sounded intelligent so when he randomly asked me to go out for a drink I said yes (I have anxiety so I NEVER just go out with strangers). That drink turned into "watching a film" at his flat and then me driving home at 2am. I decided then and there I loved him, but after a few dates he ended things over text saying he wasn't looking for a serious relationship.

I was broken and so threw myself back into hooking up online and with ex-lovers. After a few months I had a casual boyfriend that I wanted to spend New Year's with, but he was busy. Out of the blue Dan texted me and asked if I wanted to catch a film. I said yes, knowing in my heart what would happen but trying to convince myself it would be strictly platonic (I know, I'm the worst type of person, there's no excuse).

Of course it went exactly as expected, but by this time I had already been burned. I did end things with the casual boyfriend but I always kept Dan at arm's reach and at least one other guy around at the same time. 5 months later while out for drinks he said I should be his girlfriend, and I straight up laughed him off. However slowly I stopped seeing the other guys and eventually we realised neither of us had looked at another person for ages.

That was 6 years ago, we get married in October. There's no way I deserve this happiness, but I'm grabbing it with both hands.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    In an AOL chat room when the internet was brand new. 20 and counting.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    We met in high school. He was "that" older boy that I always liked, but we too chicken to tell because we were really good friends. We stayed in touch even after he graduated. Once I graduated and moved to a different town for college, we lost touch.
    Flash forward to 2006 when i graduated college. Thanks to the help of Facebook, we reconnected. We met up a lot after work, grabbing drinks and just carrying on our friendship. I was dating my now ex husband, but we hadn't really committed to one another at that point. Nothing ever happened with Shawn, but I would have jumped to the moon still, if he had asked, which he never did.
    July 2014- i am now divorced. And we run into one another yet again. This time, he asked me out. On an actual date. On that date, he proceeded to tell me that he had always liked me, but never knew how to tell me, and when he got brave enough to do something, it wasn't ever the right time. We have now been together nearly 4 years. My son adores him, and he adores my son. And I dont think either of us could be happier. <3

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    I never know how to answer these kinds of questions. I mean do I say how I met my husband or my favorite side piece or what
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I never know how to answer these kinds of questions. I mean do I say how I met my husband or my favorite side piece or what

All the above...lets start with that side piece
  • caco_ethes

Lawd have mercy, we’re talking about a perfect 17 out of 10. Met on mfp of course. I mean we always had meaningful PLATONIC conversations but then.. once she started sending nudes I was dunzo.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    I currently do not have a significant other but I'm hopeful.
  • mustacheU2Lift

Lawd have mercy, we’re talking about a perfect 17 out of 10. Met on mfp of course. I mean we always had meaningful PLATONIC conversations but then.. once she started sending nudes I was dunzo.

Did you meet on the ons, date, marry thread?
  • caco_ethes

That’s where I meet all of them. But this one got me like

ecp5k262drcu.gif
  • mustacheU2Lift

ecp5k262drcu.gif

Haha ...aaawww now thats special...i bet you were ABP.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member

ecp5k262drcu.gif

Got you like a baby cat that spills all the milk because it's a weirdo?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    I currently do not have a significant other]

unpossible.

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    I currently do not have a significant other]

unpossible.

It's true! :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    Oops, this ended up longer than expected.

I came to the UK for what was supposed to have been a 5 week holiday / family reunion. My wife had passed away just under year year before the trip. The airline somehow messed up my return flight and I found I couldn't get back to South Africa! So I looked for work, there wasn't anything 'holding' me to S.A. anymore, apart from my flat/apartment and car.

I get a job and move into a professionally run house share with 11 other people, the only day the washing machine was free was on a Friday - so that chore was done instead of going out, upside was I could fill up with my rum whilst the clothes were drying ;)

One Friday I got a brainwave, why not go to the pub I, and some of the housemates had been to the previous evening - they run a bingo type game and I won a nice sum of money, so go and spend some there! Well it was getting late and they said they were closing and I felt they were pretty rude about it. A little annoyed I leg it the 3/4 mile into town to a night club I'd been to once before.
    Get there any they want an entrance fee, so get a bit more annoyed and getting really wound up at the price of the drink!

Right, I'm going to enjoy myself. There was enough rum in me to overcome my usual shyness, walk up to a lady and asked her for a dance, she turns me down - go back to my perch at the bar counter and think this is going well!
    A minute or two later Pam, my SO, comes up to me and says she thought her friend was very rude turning me down and I should go back and ask again which I did and got the same reply, so I turned to Pam and asked if she'd like to dance.

I got to show off some of my awful daddy dancing for the first song, the second was the Chicken Song - a novelty track with quite silly hand and hip movements, Pam looks at me and laughs and at the end of it she goes and sits down - ah well, she must think I'm insane (what I didn't know was she has not long had a triple bypass and couldn't do anything strenuous).
    I go back to my bar perch but I've lost my seat, retrieve my drink and wonder what next, oops I need the loo. Pam's table was right next to the gents so I asked if I could leave my drink on their table whilst I nipped in.

I get out and am told drink up I'm taking you home, I panic can't help but think it's a trap - this sort of thing doesn't happen. Her friends surrounded me so I couldn't escape. I'd been in the club less than 20 minutes! The whole lot walk us up to her flat and then promptly left leaving just the two of us, well I thought there were only two of us. Her teenage son comes out of his room, says Hi but he's sorry he can't shake my hand as he'd just had a w*k - have I just walked into the Addams family?
    My eyes must have bigger than saucers and my heart was pounding.

Pam is clearly unimpressed with my lack of movement towards her and asks me if I'm staying or going home.

The next morning ;) we hear the front door being unlocked. Pam calming announces ah that'll be my husband, WHAT, I'm done for now! Only later she tells me they been separated for 9 years and he comes to see his sons.

It was Pam's birthday but I couldn't see her that evening as I had a date via one of those dating sites. It was to turn out to be as disastrous as every other one I had been on. The meeting didn't last that long, so I headed off to see Pam. She was not pleased to see me and even less impressed at the box of chocolates I bought her, threw the box across the room as she swore at me. Oops I didn't know she was a diabetic. Well that was that then, I leave.

A week later Pam calls me, her eldest son's girlfriend put her up to it. Seems she did fancy me but wasn't happy about my South African past and I could have been too much a product of apartheid and as her skin colour and mine are different it was a worry for her.
    I was invited for supper, elder son and girlfriend want to meet me. Something both boys do every time they see me is shake my hand, apart from the once when it was a bit err sticky ;) So after the handshake the elder son blurts out - what is your intention towards my mother? How do you answer that? They leave and there's the awkwardness, Pam's busy in the kitchen and I've been dispatched to the lounge.
    Have a look at her cassette collection and spot one I know very well, I mention it to Pam and bingo we had a connection have the same music tastes, that broke ice.

That was 12 years ago, we don't live together, speak most evenings and we see each other at the weekends. It works for us.
    Oh and she's still married ;)

Crikey that's a long story, sorry.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Met in 6th grade. Dated in senior year. Got married right out of high school. 2 kids. Married many many years, I left him. Both of us moved in with other people. Day of divorce, everything final. We walk out to say goodbye, and he asked me for date.
    Takes awhile, but we uncouple with our live-ins and get back together. We are remarried, and never been happier. First anniversary is tomorrow. 34 years.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    We met through a dating app. I did not realize at first that is what it was for (I just thought it was like another version of Facebook or something), and when I did figure it out I just decided to go with it. We were long distance, so I truthfully did not expect anything to come of it, but six years later we live together and are married. :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Bringing this back to see where the current forum folk have met their SO. Apparently the gym is a terrible place to meet people so I am curious where one does go when they are open to being hit on

I like bus stops.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Bringing this back to see where the current forum folk have met their SO. Apparently the gym is a terrible place to meet people so I am curious where one does go when they are open to being hit on

Gym, work, or really any place one finds themselves on a somewhat regular schedule are terrible places to meet. More so because if thing fall apart, it usually gets very awkward for at least one person and someone winds up leaving. Besides, no one needs to know personal business..

Beyond that, I'm no use. I generally don't realize when I'm being hit on until it's far too late, such as the drive home. :laugh: