June Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Ran this morning, and instead of power walking afterwards we took a nice leisurely stroll along the river and enjoyed ourselves. We saw two snakes, one heron, many many caterpillars, butterflies and dragonflies galore, and a bunch of turtles in the sun.

This evening we are going to a horse show. It's gonna be hot! I sort of miss it - I used to be quite the competitor - but I don't miss being out there in a helmet and jacket in 100 degree heat!

Re: crafts. My two favorite crafts are miniature quilting (dollhouse scale) and miniature tack making. I haven't done either in a while, I should pull out my stuff and see what I can come up with. Tack making in particular is very therapeutic for me - I just like the feel and smell of working with leather. And it's cool that when you're done you have something really nice to show for it.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    Did some healthier grocery shopping and meal planning. In a little pain, so using an ice pack and hope to feel better tomorrow
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,140 Member
    Options
    June 6: breakfast & reading outside in the morning! So lovely.

June 7: breakfast & reading outside! Took a long sunset walk instead of parking close to an event. Visited the garden where we were married along the way - was struck by its beauty & as I walked toward the pond was greeted by a jackrabbit (or large rabbit) who was just as curious about me as I was by him...and a family of Mallard’s swimming lazily round...and then I saw a large bird statue on the end of a balustrade which magically came to life flying off in an arc with beautiful blue tail feathers... a cherished memory I now have!”

June 8: Breakfast outside with DH -lots of smiles and laughter! And I think a bubble/Epsom bath later after Pilates and my walk!!

Have a beautiful day!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Enjoying this month of self-care so much. However, feeling a bit low today after a busy week. I have these energy cycles. My self-care today is staying in my pj's, watching some cozy things on Netflix, drinking tea, eating healthy fruits and veggies, and cancelling a "yes" RSVP to an event tonight. Giving myself permission to do these things is a new one for me.

Best type of self care xoxo You'll recharge and tomorrow will feel better.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Did a ton of errands today, so tomorrow can be more relaxing and fun.
  • S_Tr_S
    S_Tr_S Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've done 3 shorter courses so far this year, in photography, training & endurance, and nutrition.

I've been using an app called Todoist which lets me make lists and reminders for different days, and it's been SO helpful!

Sounds great! That's a pretty wide range of interests to keep your focus sharp.

I don't get too much time to take courses (I've got three small kids at home and I'm trying to set up a business), but I love to take at least a few each year. I've taken marketing and business courses this year (the one I just signed up to is a marketing one), and also Irish language and coding just for fun.

ETA: I use an app called FreedCamp, and I love it too. I have projects for everything from my new business venture to changing my car to getting my oldest daughter off to college.
  • S_Tr_S
    Options
    I've missed logging here for a couple of days because I've been so busy that I haven't made time for self-care. :# This shows me how automatic it is for me to put myself last even when I'm focusing on that exact thing.

Friday is the one day every week that I send my kids to the childminder and focus all day on my business. I always feel like it's a day all about me even though I'm working hard the entire time. It really can't be considered self-care, though.

I'm realising that I'm very bad at this.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile, I wish for you a glorious, sugar-free birthday cake. Sounds like someone in your community is missing out on a great business opportunity.

After a hibernating "recovery" day yesterday, I'm going to get outside in the sun today (with sunscreen) and enjoy the farmers market and a monthly art festival in our town square. Inertia makes me want to default to yet another pj day, but I'm not going to give in to that.
  • saltypickle
    saltypickle Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I didn’t do well on self care both Thursday and Friday; so ate junk to comfort myself when stressed. Luckily, every day is new, so went to the gym today and later going out with friends for play time.
  • Amerikanka5
    Amerikanka5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went for a hike with new friends today.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep from overworking my knee while it recovers - so tempting to run more often! But today was a walk day. Very very hot. We saw a meadowlark, and stopped to look at the river. My husband with his polarized lenses could see all the way to the bottom, so he let me borrow them for a minute. Turns out there are GINORMOUS catfish down there! About ten of them lying on the bottom. I swear one of them was as big as my leg. I knew there were some big ol fish down there, since we saw a giant bass leap out of the river during the flooding earlier this year, but it was funny to think we walk so close to all those huge fish every day without noticing. Think how smart those big old cats must be, since there are fisherman out there all the time, and they haven't been caught for long enough to get that big!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    Walk and bike with my boys. Tired now but good to get up and out
  • S_Tr_S
    Options
    Instead of working late I watched a movie with my five-year-old. It felt great!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,140 Member
    Options
    June 9
    Breakfast outdoors with DH & later on, a lovely, new hour-long hike with DH!!
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yesterday - allowed myself to soak in the hot tub 3 times and sat in the sun for 10 minutes. I'm usually always thinking about the next thing to do. But this was nice and relaxing.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Slept for nearly 9 hours last night. That's a record. Am just taking today to recover from sinus infection. Have a candle burning, coffee nearby, and a book on the nightstand. I'm going to read To Kill A Mockingbird. It's wordy and a little laborious but so good for the mind. As I'm reading, I am in the present moment only thinking about the words on the page. Happy Sunday!
  • katy_maher
    katy_maher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think I haven't checked in for a couple days - Friday I took myself thrifting which is one of my new favorite hobbies, then I watched a couple episodes of Jersey Shore online, which is one of my guilty pleasure shows from like 10 years ago when it was originally on TV.

Yesterday I had a dance performance that I was stressed about but that went well! Afterwards the exhaustion from feeling the stress and anxiety finally set in so I ended up taking a nap, which I never do.