June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp that was a smart decision on declining the 7 mile run. I am one that ignores the 'smaller' injuries and pain, and just thinks it will go away. I am stupid and am on the couch at some point every year. Well done to recognize it and get it treated. You'll get through this.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    IM 70.3 Training

Goals 6/11/18 - 6/17/18:
    Run: 45 miles + Swim and Bike
    TSS > 650

June Running:
    05.28.18 - 06.03.18: Running Miles 41.5 / Weekly TSS 497 / Fitness: 71 CTL
    06.04.18 - 06.10.19: Running Miles 46.2 / Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL

Base 1 : Week 2 of 4
    06.11.18 - 3 m. (Swim 900 yrds).
    06.12.18 - 8.9 m.

Fall Running Events:
    10.14.18 - Lake Tahoe Marathon
    10.21.18 - Atlantic City Marathon
    11.03.18 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
    11.10.18 - Tunnel Hill 50 miler
    12.08.18 - Tucson Marathon

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    Does pacing back and forth in a slow elevator because the stupid building you are in LOCKS THE STAIRWELL DOORS count as walking up hill?

Um... isn't that a fire hazard?

Most of the places I've work do this too - you can enter the stairwell on any floor but only exit on the first/ground floor. As I found out when I thought I'd walk from the 14th to 12th floors rather than take an elevator and ended up going down 14 flights in heels.

I didn't think it was a fire hazard as long as you can exit to the stairwell. Entering one floor from another floor at the building I work at is possible but frowned upon because several different state agencies occupy the same building. Protection of data, etc. are the reason given.

Actually it is s fire hazard in the case the fire is below you. All doors should automatically unlock when the fire alarm goes off.

Point. And now that you say that, I remember being told that was supposed to happen during a fire drill once. I understand the other security aspects of it, but I still think it says something about the way we prioritize physical activity that we don't build our buildings in such a way as to encourage more movement.

I agree. By design, our security doors will actually open if you pull on the hard for a fairly short period of time. However, when they open alarms will sound.

In my building, I can take the stairs DOWN from the 5th floor (all though there is a sign on it that says alarm will sound if you do it is lieing), but I can not take them UP because all the entrance doors to the stairs on the first floor are locked. I have no idea why. I have not tried to exit on a level other than mine because there are many other businesses in the building, and some take up complete floors.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Love the staggered alarms! I had 3 set for months. One on my watch and two on my phone. I gave up and turned off two because i think i got up twice. I just accpted that I'm a hot afternoon runner.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    The alarms just reminded me to set mine!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/18 :::: 1.4 :::: 1.4
    06/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 1.4
    06/03/18 :::: 13.1 :::: 14.5
    06/04/18 :::: 0.8 :::: 15.3
    06/05/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 18.9
    06/06/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 22.4
    06/07/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/08/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/09/18 :::: 9.0 :::: 31.4
    06/10/18 :::: 6.9 :::: 38.2
    06/11/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 41.3
    06/12/18 :::: 5.2 :::: 46.5

Marathon group tonight and the workout was hill repeats. If I had known that, I just might have skipped in favor of packing and getting ready for my trip tomorrow. But good thing I didn't know and I went, and I got it done. 30 minutes of hills plus warm-up and cool-down.

Tomorrow I head out to hot and steamy Iowa. Hopefully I'll be reporting back with early morning running. I'm worried about getting my long run in. I'll have to scout out possible shadier options.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    When your determined to get up early enough to finish your run before hellish sun / heat / humidity / dew point / cancerous solar UV rays take over the Texas morning:

rnhamxrcb027.png

LOL!!! Looks a lot like mine. West Texas heat and sun to deal with over hear, also known as a few degrees above the pits of hell.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

My goal is 3 runs per week minimum with a total monthly goal of 70 miles.
    And to keep up with this thread (sort-of)

So somehow I got food poisoning on the night of 6/4 and started vomiting at 4 a.m. on 6/5. It was awful. I slept most of the day and totally lost my appetite. Also missed a week of work.

I decided to go to the gym on Saturday due to wanting to leave quickly if not feeling well. I ran a mile on the treadmill and then strength trained x a half hour. Boy....I really needed that! I decided that day that I would start training in the gym twice a week. The one thing that I hate is the DOMS after lifting weights. Today I am still feeling the effects of my chest and biceps workout.Oh well.

The next day I ran for another 7 miles. Thanks to my fitbit, I can get a little more accuracy on my mileage, I think.

Today was going to be my last workout for a while. Back to the gym for another half hour of lifting. One gets pretty weak when not lifting consistently, and those 10 pound weights felt like boulders. It was supposed to rain but I hit the trail afterward for another 7. The temperature was 79 or 80 degrees with a humidity of 71%. I think @PastorVincent may have something with regard to dew point/humidity. I clearly ran about 3 minutes slower although it felt like the same effort. The only good thing about it being so humid was that I haven't had those hip pains that I had been plagued with.

The last 2 days my appetite had returned. I lost 2 pounds after the illness. (I even received one of those mfp warnings about not eating enough when I could only consume 700 calories). I will be curious to see if I can keep losing weight or regain it again.

6/4....7.07 miles
    6/9...1.07 miles
    6/10...7.08 miles
    6/12...7.19 miles

total= 22.42 miles

Goal is 70 miles.

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Does pacing back and forth in a slow elevator because the stupid building you are in LOCKS THE STAIRWELL DOORS count as walking up hill?

Most of the places I've work do this too - you can enter the stairwell on any floor but only exit on the first/ground floor. As I found out when I thought I'd walk from the 14th to 12th floors rather than take an elevator and ended up going down 14 flights in heels.

I didn't think it was a fire hazard as long as you can exit to the stairwell. Entering one floor from another floor at the building I work at is possible but frowned upon because several different state agencies occupy the same building. Protection of data, etc. are the reason given.

Actually it is s fire hazard in the case the fire is below you. All doors should automatically unlock when the fire alarm goes off.

Point. And now that you say that, I remember being told that was supposed to happen during a fire drill once. I understand the other security aspects of it, but I still think it says something about the way we prioritize physical activity that we don't build our buildings in such a way as to encourage more movement.

I agree. By design, our security doors will actually open if you pull on the hard for a fairly short period of time. However, when they open alarms will sound.

In my building, I can take the stairs DOWN from the 5th floor (all though there is a sign on it that says alarm will sound if you do it is lieing), but I can not take them UP because all the entrance doors to the stairs on the first floor are locked. I have no idea why. I have not tried to exit on a level other than mine because there are many other businesses in the building, and some take up complete floors.

But you can access all of those floors via elevator, right? I'm a bit confused about how locking the stairwell does anything for security.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    RUhgm8.png

1HK2m8.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

But you can access all of those floors via elevator, right? I'm a bit confused about how locking the stairwell does anything for security.

Most of the time there is a card reader that will only allow access to your company’s floor or security at a desk when you get off the elevator. At least that is the case in our buildings. We have card readers on all the stairway doors on one side of the building so if you want to go up the stairs you can go up those. I was a building facility person for years. We have also had floors where you can get off and elevator into a small lobby but glass doors prevented you from hallways. The doors had card readers.

@mobycarp I’m sorry to hear about the test I hope it heals quickly.
    @amymoreorless love the alarms
    @ereck44 glad you are feeling better. Good poisoning is horrible

Rest day for me today.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Security Theater. :) Kind of like most of what you see in airports.