June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @seanevan10 I fix old stuff. By that I mean I'm an architectural conservator, working with old buildings, sculptures, decorative plaster and terracotta.

Right now I'm running projects taking down a church bell tower; restoring a fountain commemorating some Czech paratroopers, and advising the Roman Baths how to take care of their....Roman stuff.

It's a pretty varied job - our workshop is an old farm barn I think it was a dairy, so the door high up may have been access to the upper floor whilst the cows were kept inside. The farmhouse attached also has a room high up separate from the rest of the house which was apparently a cheese store.

I think you may get the award for Coolest Job Ever.
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments about the race. Should have commented sooner, but my rest day after last Saturday’s 10k turned into days. Finally, yesterday my husband convinced me to go for a run after getting home from work. Guessing back to back weekends of soccer tournaments and nightly activities finally took a toll as Mon and Tues I was dragging. It was in the low 80F’s and a slight breeze. Made it to 2.5 miles and walked about a mile back to the house. Felt stiff going in and first run back so plan was 2-3 miles. We are heading to the camper for the weekend so planning on getting some runs in by the lake. It will be hot (90’s) so need to either get up early or go later.

6/6 - 3 miles
    6/7 - 1 mile walk
    6/9 - 6.2 miles - 10k Race
    6/11- 4 mile walk
    6/13 - 2.5 miles/ 1 mile walk

Total: 11.7 miles
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @seanevan10 I fix old stuff. By that I mean I'm an architectural conservator, working with old buildings, sculptures, decorative plaster and terracotta.

Right now I'm running projects taking down a church bell tower; restoring a fountain commemorating some Czech paratroopers, and advising the Roman Baths how to take care of their....Roman stuff.

It's a pretty varied job - our workshop is an old farm barn I think it was a dairy, so the door high up may have been access to the upper floor whilst the cows were kept inside. The farmhouse attached also has a room high up separate from the rest of the house which was apparently a cheese store.

I think you may get the award for Coolest Job Ever.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking!!!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Didn't get in a run this morning despite eleventy million alarms (my husband hates me now). But it should be easy to get in an hour later today. Welllll... maybe 55 minutes. If I wear my fast shoes ;)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    6/1 = 4 miles
    6/2 = 5.5 miles
    6/3 = 10 miles
    6/4 = 3 miles
    6/5 = forced rest day (stupid work)
    6/6 = 13 miles
    6/7 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/8 = 12 miles
    6/9 = rest day
    6/10 = 8 miles
    6/11 = 4 miles & 45 minutes strength training
    6/12 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/13 = 10 miles
    6/14 = 30 minutes strength training at home

My shins are sore today so I am taking a running rest day.

RE: running slow
    My pace has been slowing down a lot lately. I did a lot of speed work last year and managed to get my mile pace just under 10 minutes a mile. After I ran a marathon in December, and injured my foot, the speed work stopped. I am just not motivated right now to start speed work again. This weather is making it a struggle to keep my miles under 11:30 - 12 minutes. I consider it an accomplishment just to get out there and get the miles completed - at any pace. I hate summer.

150 goal miles / 69.5 miles complete

Upcoming Races (so far):
    6/23/2018 -Fit Foodie 5k
    10/10/2018 -Tough Mudder Half
    10/27/2018 -Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    1/26/2019 -Fitbit Topical 5k
    1/27/2019 -Miami Marathon
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I still think you are fast. According to Garmin, my 1 mile PR is 3:39.58. And it was from a training run in Aug. 2017 - which seems to be around my peak time in speed. But I can't keep up speed for as long.

Believe it or not, I've received some various data from my DNA. Some of it indicates I should build more fast twitch muscle fibers, so I should be fast and not so good with distance. Unfortunately, I want to do distance anyway. Stupid DNA...
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    On slow pace - I'm not fast either. I've heard that every 10 lbs. adds 0:30 - 1:00 per mile. I put on 32 lbs. when I took a "diet break" from 12/27/17 - 1/15/18. Of that 32 lbs., 19 was fat. As of today, I still have 16.5 lbs. of excess fat to lose and it isn't coming off anytime soon. I just hope to keep upping my mileage because I'm not likely to eat less anytime soon.

ETA: The 0:30 - 1:00 per mile comes out about right for my ~15-20 extra lbs. when considering other factors like weather and BG problems I've had. My 16.5 lbs. is based on excess fat to reach a goal fat %, but I'm still 20 lbs. heavier than my lowest weight. Some of that is lean tissue that I don't mind keeping.

I am in the same boat. I gained 20 pounds back when I injured my foot and could not run in January. I have only managed to lose 5 pounds since then. I don't understand how people diet without running or working out in some way. I can't imagine only eating 1200 calories. I would kill everyone in a hangry rage after a week.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    On slow pace - I'm not fast either. I've heard that every 10 lbs. adds 0:30 - 1:00 per mile. I put on 32 lbs. when I took a "diet break" from 12/27/17 - 1/15/18. Of that 32 lbs., 19 was fat. As of today, I still have 16.5 lbs. of excess fat to lose and it isn't coming off anytime soon. I just hope to keep upping my mileage because I'm not likely to eat less anytime soon.

ETA: The 0:30 - 1:00 per mile comes out about right for my ~15-20 extra lbs. when considering other factors like weather and BG problems I've had. My 16.5 lbs. is based on excess fat to reach a goal fat %, but I'm still 20 lbs. heavier than my lowest weight. Some of that is lean tissue that I don't mind keeping.

I am in the same boat. I gained 20 pounds back when I injured my foot and could not run in January. I have only managed to lose 5 pounds since then. I don't understand how people diet without running or working out in some way. I can't imagine only eating 1200 calories. I would kill everyone in a hangry rage after a week.

I found it easier to diet when I took a break from running and focused on losing body fat. I lifted weights during that time, but no cardio. I wasn't rungry. I was hungry, but it was easier to control that hunger.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    on sweating:
    this had come up in a thread a while ago. it's hereditary. and my parents cursed me.
    one parent gets red, one parent gets soppy. i inherited both.
    i've had people ask me if they should call emergency services or maybe i should sit and rest. and i feel fine. I feel like a hot mess, but fine
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    June 2018 Running
    06/01: XT
    06/02: 3.02 mile easy run, 8:51 pace + XT
    06/03: 14.01 mile long run, 9:09 pace
    06/04: 3.01 mile easy run, 9:19 pace + XT
    06/05: 7.26 miles- 1.6 wu, 4x(1M@10K/90" rest), 1.6 cd
    06/06: Off, rest day
    06/07: 6.26 miles- 2 wu, 5K race (21:59), 1 cd
    06/08: XT + core
    06/09: 3.01 mile easy run, 9:20 pace + XT
    06/10: 14.05 mile long run with 10x1' pickups + strength
    06/11: 10.07 mile trail run, 9:26 pace
    06/12: Off, rest day
    06/13: 3.10 mile easy run, 9:20 pace + XT
    06/14: 8.02 miles- 1.6 wu; 2@10K pace; 2.8 miles fartlek; 1.6 cd + strength
    Total: 71.82 miles

Workout notes:
    Today was a rather failed workout. Originally scheduled to do 2x2.5M at 10K pace, which I decided last night should be 2x2M since I'm feeling pretty fatigued this week. Warm up pace was slower than it felt which wasn't a great sign. I ran the first 2M interval a little slower than goal (7:31, 7:30 splits, goal was 7:25) and felt very very tired by the end. Did 1/2 mile recovery instead of the 1/4 mile the plan called for. I could tell I didn't have another 2M in me, so I decided to do it as 2x1M instead with 1/4 mile between. Except 0.55 miles in to the first mile, I started feeling light headed and nauseous so I stopped. Decided to do the rest of the run as a fartlek, roughly 300-400m easy pace/200m at 5K pace or faster. HR was really high for the last half of this run, and it barely went down even during the 1.6 mile cool down. At least I still got some fast running in, it was just very discouraging to have 10K pace feel so hard, especially this close to race day! I think my legs are definitely ready for a cutback next week!

What do you guys do to help bounce back from a bad workout/run?

Upcoming Races
    06/07: Strides for Peace 5K PR and 3rd OA - 21:59
    06/24: Chicago 10K
    07/22: Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 10K
    10/07: Chicago Marathon
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Re: slow running (again)
    I know I will never be front of the pack. I am actually happy being a solid middle of the pack runner. I got 3rd in an age group once and 4th another because the races were super small. I think there were only 4 or 5 people in each age group. My issue is knowing where I was and not being there. I get frustrated with my current times because I know I can go faster. I can be competitive (I like picking people off at races and I've been known to go a little faster on the treadmill if someone next to me is going faster) and I want to compete against myself and my times and my last run/race etc.

Did your 3rd place come with a "well, it's a super-small race with not many people in it" disclaimer? Nope, it did not. It's a 3rd place and something to shout about from the rooftops.

I'm used to being middle of the pack, but have placed a few times in my age-group including a couple of firsts. I'm a fairly average runner for my age, but it just depends on the size of the race and who turns up on the day. And when I place, you can bet I will be crowing about it for days.

Having said that, I was totally freaked out during a 5k race in April when I finished fourth overall and was the second-placed woman. I'm not used to being at the front and was almost tempted to drop back into my comfort zone. Luckily my competitive side won out and I decided there was no way I was going to let the guy right on my shoulder pass me on the finishing line.

(And I love picking people off when I'm racing too.)

No but I was more embarrassed and anxious when my name was called even though I knew it was coming. I'm not one for the spotlight so to speak.

Re: weight and pace
    I have about 30 pounds I'd like to lose to be closer to "racing weight". I'd be ok dropping 20 though. Thats where I was when I was getting close to breaking 10.

I find I can't lose weight without running (or cardio). When I do weight lifting alone I don't seem to lose. It's fascinating how we all differ here.