I Have Noticed Many People Returning, Having Regained Their Weight ...

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You can't fix a broken brain with a broken brain.

If you have broken metabolic and hunger cues due to genetics, environment, medical condition - all kinds of metabolic breakers - you can't fix it by going on another diet. It won't fix a broken brain. Keep dieting and eating it all back, the metabolism slows down even further with every dieting excursion.

You don't want to go out like that. So stop dieting altogether. You're going to have to create another groove for your brain. It won't like it but just tell your brain to shut up.

You are going to follow through with reasonable restriction and not overrestriction. Track your stats and data points. Stay within your normal river banks, what's right for you. Keep doing this like it's your job each and every day.

Don't look to the left or to the right. Let nothing deter you. When your brain actually knows that you are following through, a shift happens in the brain. It is no longer on mute. You can turn off a muted brain with taking action and reaching your goal.

Self-sabotage is the #1 reason the dieting brain goes on mute. When you stop short of following through with a task the brain goes into self-protection modes and says...we don't need to bother. Let's just lay down on the job and take a nap. The brain is not really lazy but very conserving and efficient.

This doesn't only apply to dieting but doing the laundry, dishes, tasks you really can't stand - not following through mutes the brain and causes more procrastination. Unmute your brain and don't cut it any slack.

Follow through and create a new groove, super highway for the brain. You'll have a much better chance of actually getting there and staying there. I've ridden the merry-go-round and I have taken a big nose dive, sliding back off the goose. I'm not doing it anymore. Draw your line in the sand and refuse to quit and give up.
  • baybonzon
    baybonzon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and walking, but I have a tendency to overindulge in sugary food.,chocolate, bad carbs. I also gave up meat but for some reason started craving chocolate. Now that I am getting older its harder to lose weight. My 10 lbs is like 100 to others. I cant go on extreme bootcamp regimen due to my knees. My downfall is that I go with my friends and family and I love my martini. It doesn't matter if I drink one drink a week it'll still take me the whole week to lose that 1-2 pound gain from the alcohol. I would like to lose 15 pounds and keep it off. I know that logging in my food keeps me in check. I work out in the morning but it seems that the last couple of months I've been Netflix binging a lot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    baybonzon wrote: »
    I do yoga and walking, but I have a tendency to overindulge in sugary food.,chocolate, bad carbs. I also gave up meat but for some reason started craving chocolate. Now that I am getting older its harder to lose weight. My 10 lbs is like 100 to others. I cant go on extreme bootcamp regimen due to my knees. My downfall is that I go with my friends and family and I love my martini. It doesn't matter if I drink one drink a week it'll still take me the whole week to lose that 1-2 pound gain from the alcohol. I would like to lose 15 pounds and keep it off. I know that logging in my food keeps me in check. I work out in the morning but it seems that the last couple of months I've been Netflix binging a lot.

I allow myself to Netflix binge the two days a month when I'm mostly incapacitated due to my period. Other than that, I exercise while Netflixing.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    1st time: lost 24lbs roughly and one day I woke up with horrible pain and throwing up. The pain was so severe I ended up going to hospital. Turned out to be kidney stones! My fault for not drinking. I do blame my diet because I cut fizzy drinks out and I hate water so o barely drank. I fell off the band wagon from there.

2nd time: lost 24lbs roughly and I was doing so well for about 6 months and my weight loss began to stall. Then Christmas came and the temptation too much. Along with my depression getting worse.

Basically it's down to my health and mental health. So one day I looked in the mirror and saw how big I was becoming.. bravley stood on scale and my weight was at its highest ever! Also I noticed I was out of breath alot more and I was worried about my health. 2 weeks In I feel so much better. Lost 4lbs and counting :)
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hubby quite trucking and likes ice cream. Every. Single. Night. I gained what I had lost back over the next year and a half. I was to the point where I hated myself again, and have learned to treat ice cream like the treat it is.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    So, I want to hear your personal stories as to why you regained the weight, and what you would do differently with hindsight.

Would you have stayed on mfp longer, tracking, until you had been in maintenance for a year?
    Would you have lost weight less aggressively so that it was easier to adjust to maintenance?
    Was your entire focus on the weight loss rather than on changing your entire lifestyle?
    Did something health related come up that caused you to 'fall off the proverbial wagon' ?

I, personally, made the mistake of leaving both mfp and the gym and of training at an intensity that was not sustainable in the long term. Leaving this site and that lifestyle lost me a large amount of the fitness and self esteem I had worked so hard to obtain. I was not overweight, but was using mfp to refocus an unhealthy obsession with weight and convert it into a goal of being as fit, lean and strong as I could. So, tell me your stories ...

I did 7 trials of IVF with one success. Each trial with the hormones, the injections and required bed rest/minimal activity, resulted in a gain. It didn't matter how much I would eat or not eat. I still gained thanks to the hormones. The lack of activity required also didn't help much.

I wouldn't call it a mistake but I definitely have to recover some ground that I lost, and put in hard work to get to where I was. But it'll happen, because I LIKE eating the way we do (my husband and I) and I LIKE working out 5-6 days a week.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is where the rubber hits the road. I want to see the success photos about 5, 10 or 15 years down the line. I threw all of my Befores in the bin. I don't want anymore Befores.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I lost 56 pounds with weight watchers 7 years ago. I managed to keep it all off for 3 years, then menopause and surgery with a prolonged recovery put 26 pounds back on. I did keep up with exercise and healthier eating. This January I decided it was time to get serious about getting my weight down again (Middle-aged weight gain comes with some big health costs so I wanted to get rid of the spare tire around my waist). I used MFP to track my calories and exercise because I could not afford to go back to Weight Watchers. I am down 10 pounds since January with 10 to 15 more to go. The answer is that life gets in the way of health goals sometimes and recalibration is the only way to deal with the problem. I was happy that I was able to keep off 30 pounds but I wanted to get back my healthier body.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 stone through diet and exercise but then had a pregnancy, a redundancy, a divorce, a few *kitten* relationships, followed by another redundancy, no exercise, too many take aways and drunken nights out so it all went back on and more.
    I don't think I could have done anything differently as it was such a stressful time but now I'm happily remarried and want to be healthy so determined not to put it back on once I've lost it again.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I gained muscle (I get DEXA scans by the way).
    In 2013, I started at 187 pounds and 43% body fat. After crash dieting (no exercise), I was 121 pounds and 27% body fat by 2015. I also have epilepsy by the way. I began heavy lifting and switched to a diet higher in protein/fat and lower in carbs while cycling my calories (I'll literally eat anywhere from 1,100 to 2,500+ calories depending on my activity level and appetite for the day). I'm now 151 pounds and 23% body fat. My waist is even smaller (23 inches) and have abs and a thigh gap. Legs are more solid too. So technically, I "re-gained" weight (30 pounds in 3 years) but it's in the form of muscle.