Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me why my employee health survey has questions about my finances on it? I so desperately want to tell them, "if you think we might be stressed about our finances, just pay us more;" unfortunately, there was no space for comments.
    I confess that I am very unhappy with HR right now.

Can't be sure, but they may be looking to see whether there are correlations between pay level and healthy behaviors (there often are).

I can't imagine anyone admitting that they have too much debt or financial stress on a survey with their name on it. I didn't, because I am super fortunate that my husband's job pays our bills and I buy extras or car repairs when they come up, but I know I have coworkers who lied about it on the survey. They told me they did.

Whatever you want to know about my money, if you want an honest answer, don't ask the question on the survey that partially determines my health insurance premiums. If you ask me another time, I am highly likely to tell you it's none of your business, but most people don't have my sense of privacy.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me why my employee health survey has questions about my finances on it? I so desperately want to tell them, "if you think we might be stressed about our finances, just pay us more;" unfortunately, there was no space for comments.

Can't be sure, but they may be looking to see whether there are correlations between pay level and healthy behaviors (there often are).

I can't imagine anyone admitting that they have too much debt or financial stress on a survey with their name on it. I didn't, because I am super fortunate that my husband's job pays our bills and I buy extras or car repairs when they come up, but I know I have coworkers who lied about it on the survey. They told me they did.

Whatever you want to know about my money, if you want an honest answer, don't ask the question on the survey that partially determines my health insurance premiums. If you ask me another time, I am highly likely to tell you it's none of your business, but most people don't have my sense of privacy.

I don't suppose there was an "I do not wish to answer this" option? I dunno, I might be calling the insurance company to question them. Grrh!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I guess the good thing about getting to work at 3:00 a.m. is that I get to leave at 11:00 a.m. But it's currently 7:00 and I'm already exhausted. A nap is definitely in my future.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I only have a couple of proper dresses for Ellie as she wears a lot if Andrew's old stuff. But I am trying to put her in them as often as possible right now because she looks like she might crawl soon and they'd be a hindrance to that.

It really annoys me that so much girl stuff is impractical because apparently being pretty is more important than actually being able to move properly. I never had to think about this with my son - all his clothes and shoes allowed him to walk and crawl and stomp to his heart's content. But I'm noticing more and more that it's not so with girl stuff. Shoes that don't offer any actual protection, dresses that get in the way of crawling, but they are so pretty.

The inequality and societal expectations start early! Rant over.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

I don't suppose there was an "I do not wish to answer this" option? I dunno, I might be calling the insurance company to question them. Grrh!

This doesn't come from our insurance company. It comes from our Employee Health department, which is an arm of our HR department. You can dinged for smoking, drinking more often than they think you should, labs outside the normal weight and BMI. The actually draw blood and test it for nicotine, alcohol, recreational drugs, and the normal blood work you doctor would do at a routine physical and make you step on the scale so that you can't lie about those things on the survey. If you don't participate, you have to pay twice the lowest available premium. If you smoke, you have to pay twice the lowest premium. If you have lab results or a BMI they don't like you have to meet with a health coach three times a year. If everything is the way they like it, your health coach calls you once to tell you.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I only have a couple of proper dresses for Ellie as she wears a lot if Andrew's old stuff. But I am trying to put her in them as often as possible right now because she looks like she might crawl soon and they'd be a hindrance to that.

It really annoys me that so much girl stuff is impractical because apparently being pretty is more important than actually being able to move properly. I never had to think about this with my son - all his clothes and shoes allowed him to walk and crawl and stomp to his heart's content. But I'm noticing more and more that it's not so with girl stuff. Shoes that don't offer any actual protection, dresses that get in the way of crawling, but they are so pretty.

And yet, my daughter the girly girl picked those things, even at 1. I remember her reaching for the dresses with ruffles and bows and getting mad when I put her in shorts, a t shirt and proper sneakers.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I will bring balance to the world by confessing I cannot stand pizza (or anything tomato based)!

I could (and do) eat chocolate all day long. I'm going to have to curb that as I start breastfeeding less.

My favorite pizzas have nothing tomato based on them.

I also eat chocolate all day long. :D
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options

This doesn't come from our insurance company. It comes from our Employee Health department, which is an arm of our HR department. You can dinged for smoking, drinking more often than they think you should, labs outside the normal weight and BMI. The actually draw blood and test it for nicotine, alcohol, recreational drugs, and the normal blood work you doctor would do at a routine physical and make you step on the scale so that you can't lie about those things on the survey. If you don't participate, you have to pay twice the lowest available premium. If you smoke, you have to pay twice the lowest premium. If you have lab results or a BMI they don't like you have to meet with a health coach three times a year. If everything is the way they like it, your health coach calls you once to tell you.

Wow I find that all really heavy handed. I know it's ultimately in your best interest to be as healthy as you can be, but it doesn't look like it's coming from a caring place! Not if it comes with a financial penalty. Does your work help with quitting smoking or weight loss programs at least?

I also find it really odd that sicker people have to pay more money than healthier people. Surely if you have ill health, you're probably worse off from missing work and need more financial assistance?

I admit to not having the first clue to how American healthcare actually functions on a practical level. It seems very scary to me!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Everybody in my family orders their own pizza. I try to eat half and save half for the next day. I usually can.

QFT!! Mine is unusual, so no one else in the family eats it. The rest usually get some form of pepperoni. I tend to go for the thin crust, sometimes the hand tossed. Deep dish is too much bread for me. I get pizza for the toppings. Better stop now or I will be ordering pizza for dinner instead of cooking my mahi.

I tried a Chicago Deep Dish like pizza that I bought at Aldis & it tasted amazing, but I found it was definitely way too much bread. I'm not much of a bread eater to begin with. I'm more of a cheese fanatic as far as pizzas go & usually pick the cheese off first & eat it(I know I'm a weirdo).

I usually can fit a frozen pizza into my calories if it's 900-1000 calories & I eat lightly for the rest of the day, but I don't order takeout pizza since I'm sure I'd want to demolish the whole thing at once. Once I get my moderation back in check I'll order a pizza.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

My sister put her daughters in onesies for much of their first years & usually only put them in fancier stuff for church/family get togethers.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

Wow I find that all really heavy handed. I know it's ultimately in your best interest to be as healthy as you can be, but it doesn't look like it's coming from a caring place! Not if it comes with a financial penalty. Does your work help with quitting smoking or weight loss programs at least?

I also find it really odd that sicker people have to pay more money than healthier people. Surely if you have ill health, you're probably worse off from missing work and need more financial assistance?

I admit to not having the first clue to how American healthcare actually functions on a practical level. It seems very scary to me!

I work for a not for profit healthcare system with 16 (I think) hospitals, 14 urgent care clinics, and I have no idea how many other doctors' offices and ancillary services like physical therapy since we merged in February. We never deny care to anyone regardless of their ability to pay and our heart, lung, and cancer docs are on the cutting edge of new treatments and research, working with the medical schools at both Duke and Vanderbilt. And we are working with a local medical school on solutions to opioid addiction, because it's a huge problem where I live. (I sound like a commercial, but I didn't meant too.)

My employer has literally been taking care of my kids since before they were born. And they saved my life when I was 7, even if they aren't quite sure why I woke up from a coma. They will definitely help us stop smoking and they do have the health coaches to help us improve our health from year to year. I just hate talking to them. They pay me extra for exercising and get me a deep discount at my gym.

It is kind of heavy handed, but we are supposed to set an example for the rest of the community that we serve. They won't fire us for being sick or anything and the highest premiums for my family coverage are still less than my husband's individual premium at his job. They just want to reward those of us who are setting the best example, I think. I have never not qualified for the lowest premiums and I have not had to sit down with a coach since they started this six years ago. I was just stunned at the financial questions this time.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

My husbands grand mother was a front runner in convincing the private school she taught in during the 60-70s to let little girls where pants to school. She tool the principle to the playground and had him watch the girls swinging from their knees from the monkey bars. She really really had a point there.
  • raymax4
    Options

At my work place they have the same thing except they frame it differently. All have the same rates but if you have good health habits, ant you are generally healthy you get a discount on your insurance. It is incentive to stay healthy which will cost the insurance company less money to pay for your health needs. Up until the last three years the insurance companies made money on me. Even though I do get all the discounts they haven't made money on me the last three years.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about kicking out of work early today. I've got the "summer's here and I don't want to be sitting in the office" blues.

Hubby wants ribs for Father's Day, so I'll go find some yummy ones and pick up his prescription.

I also took July 5 and 6 off for a five day weekend. We're going camping!
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I lied to my food log yesterday. I had a crazy day and ended up just having cheese and crackers for dinner, and that was after a fairly light breakfast and lunch, so when I logged it all in I came in at 1157 calories. I didn't feel like having MyFP complain at me for being under 1200 so I told it I had more cheese than I actually did.

It occurs to me this morning that I could have actually gone and eaten more stuff, but I didn't. I don't even know why not. This may be the first time I've lied and said I ate *more* than I actually did. FSM knows I've lied the other way.
  • raymax4
    Options
    deagh93 wrote: »
    I lied to my food log yesterday. I had a crazy day and ended up just having cheese and crackers for dinner, and that was after a fairly light breakfast and lunch, so when I logged it all in I came in at 1157 calories. I didn't feel like having MyFP complain at me for being under 1200 so I told it I had more cheese than I actually did.

It occurs to me this morning that I could have actually gone and eaten more stuff, but I didn't. I don't even know why not. This may be the first time I've lied and said I ate *more* than I actually did. FSM knows I've lied the other way.

I have left my diary open until the next day when I am under calories in case i get hungry and want to put some breakfast calories on yesterdays diary to catch up. I don't like their lectures either
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    I have left my diary open until the next day when I am under calories in case i get hungry and want to put some breakfast calories on yesterdays diary to catch up. I don't like their lectures either

Omg you are a genius! I've noticed that when I'm low on one day I'm almost always high the next day, usually by about the same amount (if I'm 300 under one day, I'll be 300 over the next). I am so gonna start doing this.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about kicking out of work early today. I've got the "summer's here and I don't want to be sitting in the office" blues.

Hubby wants ribs for Father's Day, so I'll go find some yummy ones and pick up his prescription.

I also took July 5 and 6 off for a five day weekend. We're going camping!

I am trying to decide do I take Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday. I want to make it a long weekend too.