JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,738 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating: I got irritated today and it was also time to eat, and I didn't want what I had planned. I was mad and hungry and just didn't feel like gazpacho. I wanted something I could chew. I also wanted potato chips, but I don't keep those in the house (with good reason!)

But it WAS lunch time. Past, in fact. So I switched my lunch and dinner and ate the Ethiopian lentil stew I had planned for dinner with injera bread. It was totally satisfying, I think at least partly because you eat Ethiopian food with your hands, using the bread as the utensil. By the time I was done I felt like a human being again.

That is what I would call a win
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Holy Crow! I'm 6 pages behind!! Hopefully today I can catch up!

It's been really hard for me to stay on track these last few weeks. I haven't been doing any prep. I haven't been bring lunch with me or making it for the DH or anything like that. I've been a sugar manic the last few weeks also. Like multiple candy bars a day! It's been crazy.

But I haven't liked where I've been the last few weeks. It's time to change. I have been reading a book recently that said most of our biggest problem is the one looking at us in the mirror. That changing anything is 20% knowledge and 80% behavior. I really feel like that is my problem. That no matter how hard I try I just can't find the motivation to keep up on things after a few days or weeks.

So back on the horse I go.

So JFT, 6/19/18

1. Work on budget
    2. Read Total Money Makeover
    3. Research business writing tips
    4. Make dinner!
    5. Do the dishes before bed
    6. Print out poem for meeting
    7. GO TO MEETING
    8. Nightly routine

I think that is all I'm going to do today. I don't have a lot of time between when I get home and my meeting.

I hope everyone had a great day!

I have been struggling as well and it creates a vicious cycle. You don't feel proud of yourself for sticking to it so you eat those emotions. I'll get on the horse with you today :)
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: »
    @jeschepp Great job on checking off your list! Wonderful! So, regarding the April/May/June challenges. Joan (@mytime6630) challenged us to a monthly goal in the month of April. It went so well she has started a new one each month since then. Several of us are wanting to keep the new habits we have acquired through the challenges and so include them in our JFT. You are welcome to join us if it will help you! April was drink 8 cups of water daily. May was be outside for at least 15 minutes daily and June is mindful eating--- "If you’re feeling the slightest bit emotional and want to eat—or it’s even time to eat—force yourself to either do something else or to eat something healthy and wholesome. " Peace and joy!

Thanks for the explanation! I’ll keep my eye out for the July challenge. Such a great idea!
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 There's plenty of room up on this stallion! Lol. The other thing I'm working on is saving money and paying off debt. Hence the 20% knowledge/80% behavior comment from earlier. It's like that with money as well. It takes being uncomfortable for a while to feel comfortable again.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    JFT - Monday June 18
    2L of Water - :)
    Stay in Green - :(
    Outside 15 Minutes - :(
    Walk tonight? - :(
    Laundry - :)

JFT - Tuesday June 19
    2L of Water
    Stay in Green
    Outside 15 Minutes
    Walk Tonight
    Tidy house?

Yesterday morning I had a disturbing conversation with a manager from our head office that got me a little down on myself. The branch I work in is very slow, we need business. When I first started talking to this company they used the words "build a branch" I told everyone I spoke to that I had no idea how to go about doing that, that I can manage but not sell. I have had this conversation over and over for 6 months now and have been told they would help build it. Two weeks ago they told me they were sending someone to help me learn how to sell. I'm not interested in this, but will do it if I have to to keep myself employed. Yesterday I was talking to the sales guy who is coming up to train me, he mentioned that they are talking about closing the branch. This is upsetting because I have at least biweekly suggested ways to save money in the branch until such time we get the business we need to sustain. I never get answers, but am told repeatedly to run it as if it's my own business.

I am trying to decide now, if I should put my efforts into building this or if I should start looking for other employment. I would love to see this business grow and be the leader leading it, I think it can be done, but not the way they are going about it. I struggled immensely finding a job last Winter and don't want to go through that again, it's also a little more difficult as I sold our second car because I was given a company vehicle. I don't like the unknown it leaves me unsettled. The Sales guy was supposed to be here between 7-730, I started work an hour early so I would be here for him, it's now after 8 and he's still not here. Not a good first impression.

So, on a personal note the morning discussion yesterday just made me down. I wanted a cheeseburger and a coke. I didn't fight it, I didn't talk myself out of it. I just went and had it along with a baked potato from Wendy's. I regretted it as soon as I ate it.

Ok, he's here gotta run!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    JFT Monday Recap
    1. Drink Lots of water :)
    2. Log all food :)
    3. Meds AM and PM :)
    4. Eat packed lunch :)
    5. Tidy kitchen :| Did the bare minimum
    6. Pick up cream at farm on way home >:) Closed mondays
    7. Print Quotes for 365 Days of Happy >:) Ran into some formatting issues
    8. Finish Reasons I love you - 365 Days of Happy >:) Busy day with a lot of professional matters so put this on the backburner

Going through a patch of defeatist self talk. Focusing on the positive today. Started worrying about not having the present done in time. DH will love it if he gets it today, tomorrow, or two weeks after our anniversary. We already did "gifts", new hats on our vacation. He's happy - I'm happy - it's not something worth stressing over. This all may be from taking a closer look at finances and trying to tighten up the budget. I always get flustered in matters of personal finances. A little motivation to wake up a little earlier and get that overtime in - and start working on healthier spending habits too! Whenever I have those self limiting thoughts creep in today - I will replace my inner critic with my inner best friend! Funny, I just noticed I didnt include be kind on my list yesterday - thats my reminder to be kind to myself - I spread kindness to others no problem but tend to be my own worst critic. I also did 15 wall push ups/bathroom trip yesterday because it's turned into a habit!

JFT Tuesday
    1. Be kind - replace inner critic with inner best friend/cheerleader
    2. Log all food
    3. Drink lots of water
    4. Meds AM and PM
    5. Bring vitamin B to work tomorrow morning
    6. Tidy kitchen completely - it's driving me nuts so even if I don't feel like cleaning tonight, know that you will be happy to SEE it clean come tomorrow morning
    7. Pick up cream at farm
    8. Make grocery list
    9. Make dinner and lunch ideas list
    10. 20 second wall sit/bathroom trip

• HGSmith0920
    Options
    @AJB1014 I love your goal of be kind. I'm usually kind to other people. Sometimes too much. But I'm often not kind to myself. So I think I will start using that as well! How has the medication been coming?
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 There's plenty of room up on this stallion! Lol. The other thing I'm working on is saving money and paying off debt. Hence the 20% knowledge/80% behavior comment from earlier. It's like that with money as well. It takes being uncomfortable for a while to feel comfortable again.

And you are going to be Gazelle like in paying off debt and living like no one else so one day you can....say it with me...live like no one else, lolol!!! I am excited for you! And truly, budgeting and money issues is like weight loss...you have to be watchful of it all the time. My make up brand is having a promo right now. Thought I'd buy some...but realized, "I ain't got no money allotted for such this month and I can't move any out of one category to go towards it right now, so Oh Well." Having that Every Dollar budget maker really helps, don't you think?
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    @toaljasa It does! I'm also reading Total Money Makeover. I like all the success stories in the book. My thing was that my husband was letting me do whatever I wanted with the budget and wasn't really holding me accountable which is a really really bad thing for me. I have no impulse control and really like instant gratification. So we are going to sit down and have our first ever true budget meeting for July on Saturday. I'm actually excited. I want to be held accountable. I want to get this right and get it of debt!
  • toaljasa
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    JFT Monday Recap

Going through a patch of defeatist self talk. Focusing on the positive today. Started worrying about not having the present done in time. DH will love it if he gets it today, tomorrow, or two weeks after our anniversary. We already did "gifts", new hats on our vacation. He's happy - I'm happy - it's not something worth stressing over. This all may be from taking a closer look at finances and trying to tighten up the budget. I always get flustered in matters of personal finances. A little motivation to wake up a little earlier and get that overtime in - and start working on healthier spending habits too! Whenever I have those self limiting thoughts creep in today - I will replace my inner critic with my inner best friend! Funny, I just noticed I didnt include be kind on my list yesterday - thats my reminder to be kind to myself - I spread kindness to others no problem but tend to be my own worst critic. I also did 15 wall push ups/bathroom trip yesterday because it's turned into a habit!
    Have the wall pushups helped? Can you see a difference, and if so, where?

Yes, being kind to ourselves, helps us to be kind to others, I think. We oftentimes believe we are undeserving ...we forget the second part of "love your neighbor" which is "as you love yourself". Loving ourselves, making sure we are mentally, physically, spiritually healthy, giving us the strength to love others ;) Thanks for the reminder.

Good for you that you realized the only one troubled/upset/bothered by not having your project finished was Y.O.U. I have gotten myself in such a rough emotional state over things that people are not upset over at all. I make a big to do over nothing. Over the last couple of years I have really made an effort to discern what is really important and let go of the other stuff. I do have a rather funny story that I may write about one day soon regarding all that. (kind of a "don't ask for patience" story, haha). I hope you are learning this at a much younger age than I (I was 54, 56 now).

Peace as you let go of the frustration of not getting something done on your timeline and joy when you get the pleasure of presenting it to your husband! :smile:
  • toaljasa
    Options
    @toaljasa It does! I'm also reading Total Money Makeover. I like all the success stories in the book. My thing was that my husband was letting me do whatever I wanted with the budget and wasn't really holding me accountable which is a really really bad thing for me. I have no impulse control and really like instant gratification. So we are going to sit down and have our first ever true budget meeting for July on Saturday. I'm actually excited. I want to be held accountable. I want to get this right and get it of debt!

Oh that is so so great! Yes, TMM is a very good book. Hey, I have the Financial Peace University class ---would you like to borrow it? it's like a 9 week program...if you watch the lessons once a week. I would be happy to send it to you and then you could just mail it back whenever you are finished. It's the CD and book. You could make the lessons a date night, lol! PM me if this is of interest to you.

Also, if the stories motivate you (as they do me), type in Dave Ramsey on You tube...or even be more specific such as Dave Ramsey out of debt scream to hear testimonies of young couples getting out of debt, etc.
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    I would love to take the course! I think it would be a really good idea for us because I could never get my husband to read the books. Lol. Thank you so much! I'll pm you my address!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :)
    - Stick to food plan :)
    - Stick to alcohol plan :)
    - 4 bottles water :| managed 3
    - 30 mins lunch break :smile:
    - French podcast + article + Duolingo :smile:
    - Look at emails at intervals only :smiley:
    - Don't panic! :smile:
    - Leave work by 6pm
    - Get train home at 9.45pm

June challenge:

June 10: "I'm on holiday" = chocolate :s
    June 11: Stress = gin, no food :neutral:
    June 12: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 13: 'celebratory' mood + pub + burger/ ice cream :s
    June 14: No emotional eating :smiley:
    June 15: Greed rather than emotions.. :neutral:
    June 16: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 17: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 18: No emotional eating :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - No alcohol
    - 3 bottles water

- 30 mins lunch break
    - French podcast + article + Duolingo
    - Look at emails at intervals only
    - Don't panic!
    - Stop work by 6pm
    - French hw

Look at all those smiles you have lately! You are kicking *kitten*, girl! :smile:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options

Is that the Dave Ramsey book, you're reading? I've been thinking about reading that one. Every day I want more and more to retire soon. I can't do that without paying off our debt. I've heard his books and his plan is really good.

P.S. Skootch over on that stallion @HGSmith0920 and @Snowflake1968 ....I'm hopping on too. :blush:
  • toaljasa
    Options

Is that the Dave Ramsey book, you're reading? I've been thinking about reading that one. Every day I want more and more to retire soon. I can't do that without paying off our debt. I've heard his books and his plan is really good.

P.S. Skootch over on that stallion @HGSmith0920 and @Snowflake1968 ....I'm hopping on too. :blush:

Well, you are welcome to the course after @HGSmith0920 is finished with it! I think the course only came with one workbook so we either need to have y'all write answers on separate sheets of paper or see about ordering some books to go with it. Let me know if you want to use the course and I'll check with DR to see about ordering extra books.

TBH, we ordered this course with the goal of loaning it out to people. So it will give me great pleasure to have you use it. In the meantime, I really encourage you to listen to the Dave Ramsey radio program and watch the You Tube videos. They will really get you motivated :)
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @AJB1014 I love your goal of be kind. I'm usually kind to other people. Sometimes too much. But I'm often not kind to myself. So I think I will start using that as well! How has the medication been coming?

Yes! I relate so much to that statement ! Getting better on the meds. The habit of having them with me definitely helps, so thanks! :)

I see that you are also focusing on finances at the time - I got a lot of inisghtful info from your last few comments. It's nice to know we all go through the same seasons and learn from each other. Good luck in your achieving those goals as well!

toaljasa wrote: »
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    JFT Monday Recap

Have the wall pushups helped? Can you see a difference, and if so, where?

Yes! I cannot see any visible improvements yet - but, I feel myself sitting up straighter since my trapezius (I think thats the muscle kind of between shoulder blades to shoulder?) is stronger supporting my neck and spine, and I'm engaging my core more regularly. I'm doing squats opposite days of the push ups - and those are also making me feel much stronger at my core and base and helping me focus on good posture.

I look forward to hearing your funny story one day soon! Peace and joy!
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I've done one or two things from the Dave Ramsey books but I've never read one fully. I think I'm on chapter 4. I borrowed it from the library yesterday! Lol. My DH and I are trying to have a baby and I want to be able to stay home and I know that we can't with all of this debt hanging over our heads. Our goal is to be debt free in 3 years. I know this is possible because some of the success stories have people paying off more in less time. Lol. I think it depends on how uncomfortable your willing to be. Lol

@toaljasa I think I see the TV taping of the show all the time but I never actually sit down and listen to it. I think I need to change that. Lol.

@AJB1014 I'm glad I could help with your meds. It's so ingrained on me to take them now that it's totally unconscious. Every night I fill a bottle of water and take my meds right before I turn off the light and then I have the water next to me for the random times I wake up in the middle of the night. Lol.

I actually just got the idea to post on Facebook looking for a few side jobs over the next month or two to fund our emergency savings! I have all weekends off now. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! Lol.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Just for Monday:
    1. Log everything I eat and drink >:) I was going to log it before I went to bed but fell asleep on the couch early.
    2. Drink at least eight 8 oz glasses of water :star:
    3. Study for my Epic CEE's coming up next week (UGH) :star: I began studying. These exams are really hard and if I don't pass, I lose my certifications. So no pressure...
    4. Listen to my podcasts today :star:
    5. Be patient and kind :star:
    6. Journal in my Gratitude journal tonight. >:) Fell asleep before I could. It's okay though. I must've needed it!

So many good insights on here today! I was about 30 posts behind, but I'm glad I took the time to read them. I don't always have time to do that at work, but today I was able to do it while I was on a teleconference meeting.

I especially like the references I read regarding being "kind" to yourself. I have been saying that to my husband a lot too...that we treat strangers and our neighbors nicer than we do each other sometimes and there is just something so wrong about that. Plus, I beat myself up a lot. I mean, A LOT. when I mess up, nobody has to tell me...I don't let myself forget it. So, I will start lumping myself in the "Be kind" goal that I post sometimes. That's a really good point.

Just for Tuesday:
    • Log everything I eat and drink before I begin eating it.
    • Study for my Epic CEE's
    • Listen to podcasts for inspiration: Optimal Living Daily, Optimal Health Daily and Half Size Me
    • April Challenge: Drink at least 64 oz of water
    • May Challenge: 15 minutes outside
    • June Challenge: Be mindful
    • Catch up on my reading and gratitude journal tonight
    • Be grateful, patient and kind

This week's goal: Get up when alarm goes off, without hitting Snooze, at least once this week.

• bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :)
    - Stick to food plan :)
    - Stick to alcohol plan :)
    - 4 bottles water :| managed 3
    - 30 mins lunch break :smile:
    - French podcast + article + Duolingo :smile:
    - Look at emails at intervals only :smiley:
    - Don't panic! :smile:
    - Leave work by 6pm
    - Get train home at 9.45pm

June challenge:

June 10: "I'm on holiday" = chocolate :s
    June 11: Stress = gin, no food :neutral:
    June 12: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 13: 'celebratory' mood + pub + burger/ ice cream :s
    June 14: No emotional eating :smiley:
    June 15: Greed rather than emotions.. :neutral:
    June 16: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 17: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 18: No emotional eating :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - No alcohol
    - 3 bottles water

- 30 mins lunch break
    - French podcast + article + Duolingo
    - Look at emails at intervals only
    - Don't panic!
    - Stop work by 6pm
    - French hw

Look at all those smiles you have lately! You are kicking *kitten*, girl! :smile:

Thanks! I am at the moment, hope it will last!

Realised I forgot to report back on the last two - they were a :smile: and a :neutral: respectively.... (Left work at 6.15 rather than 6.... Not bad compared to previous behaviour though! Or today, ahem....)
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    JFT - Monday June 18
    2L of Water - :)
    Stay in Green - :(
    Outside 15 Minutes - :(
    Walk tonight? - :(
    Laundry - :)

JFT - Tuesday June 19
    2L of Water
    Stay in Green
    Outside 15 Minutes
    Walk Tonight
    Tidy house?

Yesterday morning I had a disturbing conversation with a manager from our head office that got me a little down on myself. The branch I work in is very slow, we need business. When I first started talking to this company they used the words "build a branch" I told everyone I spoke to that I had no idea how to go about doing that, that I can manage but not sell. I have had this conversation over and over for 6 months now and have been told they would help build it. Two weeks ago they told me they were sending someone to help me learn how to sell. I'm not interested in this, but will do it if I have to to keep myself employed. Yesterday I was talking to the sales guy who is coming up to train me, he mentioned that they are talking about closing the branch. This is upsetting because I have at least biweekly suggested ways to save money in the branch until such time we get the business we need to sustain. I never get answers, but am told repeatedly to run it as if it's my own business.

I am trying to decide now, if I should put my efforts into building this or if I should start looking for other employment. I would love to see this business grow and be the leader leading it, I think it can be done, but not the way they are going about it. I struggled immensely finding a job last Winter and don't want to go through that again, it's also a little more difficult as I sold our second car because I was given a company vehicle. I don't like the unknown it leaves me unsettled. The Sales guy was supposed to be here between 7-730, I started work an hour early so I would be here for him, it's now after 8 and he's still not here. Not a good first impression.

So, on a personal note the morning discussion yesterday just made me down. I wanted a cheeseburger and a coke. I didn't fight it, I didn't talk myself out of it. I just went and had it along with a baked potato from Wendy's. I regretted it as soon as I ate it.

Ok, he's here gotta run!

That sounds like a really difficult situation. It's so silly when employers try to make people excel in lots of different things at the same time, when quite often the different things are not generally found together. I'd imagine lots of people who are great at helping customers struggle with selling... Because they care about the customer's needs, not what they can sell them!

Can you do both? Focus really hard during work hours but then look around/ consider your options/ make some speculative applications outside of hours?

You can always decide not to take anything that you get offered if work improves... Just makes you prepared if it doesn't!

I'm doing something similar myself... It helps that currently doing four day weeks though, gives me lots of extra time...