Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Urban Food Desert Myth

1101112131416»

Replies

• Knokr
    Knokr Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2018
    One article claiming that low income areas have all of these booming businesses does not discount all of Obama administrations research. Grocery stores in low income areas can’t stay open - and if they can they can’t afford to keep the shelves stocked. Food deserts exists and definitely contribute to obesity.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I grew up in Los Angeles. We always ate fruits and veggies. It is BS to say that fresh foods are not available in urban areas. Even driving through "the hood" they have the same large chain grocery stores with plenty of healthy options. There are not as many farmer's markets though.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    with the obesity rate being as high as it is in America...I don't think its limited to poor neighborhoods period our obesity problem is not discriminating..we all fat.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I grew up in Los Angeles. We always ate fruits and veggies. It is BS to say that fresh foods are not available in urban areas. Even driving through "the hood" they have the same large chain grocery stores with plenty of healthy options. There are not as many farmer's markets though.

Not every large city is as fortunate as LA. Cities like Detroit and Atlanta had neighborhoods where crime and poverty had driven out any mainstream grocery stores. Any remaining grocers were small operations that couldn't source fresh produce and meat competitively, so they had poorer quality supplies at higher prices than the suburban neighborhoods.

Things have improved in those cities in recent years, but it's been uneven and is mostly driven by gentrification that has it's own controversies.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Here is a weird experience I have...healthy food satisfies me so im not eating it by the boatload...just by portion. crappy food does not satisfy me so...I eat tons of it till I lay down feeling sick. I choose the first option.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    with the obesity rate being as high as it is in America...I don't think its limited to poor neighborhoods period our obesity problem is not discriminating..we all fat.

Obesity isn't limited to poor neighborhoods or the poor, but it does appear that obesity is more common among people who make less money.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6650a1.htm
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »

I don't think this issue can be described in broad general statements. I'm not in America, and we're always amazed at how fat Americans are when we see them. We would be considered a poorer country by international standards, but the lack of wealth hasn't caused us to be all fat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I think health & fitness just becomes a lower priority when you're poor, and you are more likely to go with what instant gratification is financially available to you (ie tasty calorie-dense food) when other enjoyments are financially out of reach or you are too tired just trying to get through day-to-day (future health becomes a lower priority that can be dealt with later when you maybe have more time/energy/money). At least for us it seemed to be so.

On food availability: the closest Bodega does indeed really, really suck for groceries (you will be paying an arm and a leg for smaller sizes of shelved goods which doesn't even include vegetables..and I mean travel-type sizes you will have never seen in a real grocery store for double the price. The tiny freezer section is limited to beer, soda, and breaded-fried things), but.. there are full-fledged supermarkets on all 3 of the nearest major North-South bus lines (all of them within 0.5 miles). And definitely within easy cycling distance. (So opting to pay $4 for the tiniest ever shaker bottle of parmesan when my boyfriend failed to tell me he finished the old one off before I started a batch of cooking is on us and not my neighborhood). (FYI- I'm in a rust-belt city whose mass transit system is often mocked).

To answer a previous post about radius criteria...I would probably argue that if you have a grocery store on a single bus line (no transfers between busses required) in less than a 25ish minute ride with a reasonable schedule within 0.5 mile walk, then you are not really in a food desert. You just have different priorities if you don't take that option. (Outer suburban folk with money go through similar enough effort IMO to get food...albeit required by their own choices). So I don't think we really have as much an issue with *urban* food deserts as is often made out..I'm not saying that none exist, but probably nowhere near as many as presumed. We maybe, if anything, have too many ridiculously over-convenient alternatives that we can lazily opt for (bodega or fast food) which skews our choices (options that would not be as super-convenient versus the grocery store to someone with a car/in the suburbs). Come to think of it, I think someone posted an article link somewhere in these forums to some research that found a much stronger link between obesity and fast food density than between obesity and grocery store availability.

But.. being without a car in one of the poorer non-urban areas IS a completely different story. Many of those would qualify as food deserts IMO.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    (FYI-Also, in comparison: getting to work took 1-2 busses + subway depending on where we lived, and getting to the university took 2 busses for a total of 1h25m each way. ...supermarket was a cake walk in comparison)