• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies!

Katla - it's great your DH has new found enthusiasm with the RV!! Everyone needs a project. I couldn't believe my DH who often can barely walk and is in the doldrums actually stacked and split a small pile of firewood in the past couple days. He walked just fine. I think the state of our health is often in our heads. B)

Allie - welcome "home" and good luck on your X-ray exam, I'm sure you'll do great.

Rebecca
    - glad your step-sis responded about getting your stuff back. We agree with Jake - we no longer loan $$ to people. If we can spare, we just give it and that's it.

I read a couple great books in the past few days, both by Tom Ryan - Following Atticus and Will's Red Coat. The first one is about Tom getting a mini schnauzer pup and taking it on lots of hikes, the second one is about an older dog he adopted and nursed through it's final couple years. Kleenex book. But, the stories are about much more than just dogs - lots of thought provoking comments on the ups and downs of life.

Lisa
    , these books remind me of you and your writing. Ryan used to have his own little newspaper.

And, I've started walking our little dogs again. Pup Rosie is no Atticus, but she does very well in her little harness walking proudly on our little private road. Gives me a new appreciation for her. And old Sophie needs the exercise so she's ready to go. She walked a lot when she was younger.

Barbie, I don't know how you walk 2 dogs at a time, lol. I admire you!

I've just started reading another book - Brain Food by Dr. Lisa Mosconi. Just finished a chapter about why drinking "hard" water is so good for our brains. I've always heard "drink lots of water" during weight loss and for general kidney health and such, but I had no idea why it keeps our gray matter healthy as well.

That's the quick and dirty. Have a great week!

Lanette
    Cool & rainy SW WA State where we had house-shaking thunderstorms last night.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,267 Member
    Options
    Phone download still sticking. He's now trying a different programme which is more sophisticated, so it may get done at last. :*;)

Talking with our estate agents. Nothing new to report. :'(

It's an official heatwave here. Should last a week. I did my bonus calories cycling indoors with the curtains drawn, fan on and a crime thriller on my tablet. Hotter here than Los Angeles. :o
    Not my favourite weather.

Seabass and spinach tonight. Wanted to make Feta Pie, but our local supermarket had sold out of Feta. Boo!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: I think cycling is one of the best forms of exercise, along with walking, swimming and yoga. Does your weather make it a pleasure during this season? I ride a stationary bike at the gym regularly before my yoga class. It gets my whole body tuned up for yoga & the day. :bigsmile:

No, the winter weather here isn't particularly nice. It's not like the Canadian prairie winters I'm used to ... it's like the Pacific Northwest winters: chilly, rainy, damp, windy. Nights get down to about freezing. Daytime highs hit about 10°C. It often snows at higher elevations, and will occasionally snow as far down as sea level.

Snow here is predicted by elevation. Today, there's supposed to be snow down to 800 metres ... we're at about 50 metres above sea level. Our local mountain is about 1200 metres, so it will be topped with snow.

Today is 10°C with winds gusting to 60 km/h providing us with a "feels like" temperature of about 6°C, and they're predicting that it is going to start raining here (snowing at higher elevations) within the next couple hours.

It's also very hilly here, so trying to battle all that plus haul my butt up hills is really unpleasant.

Also, since my husband had his accident and has been in hospital, it has been pitch dark by the time I get home after visiting him. I don't mind riding at night when the weather isn't too bad, but the idea of going out in the dark, cold, wind, and often rain after a long day of work and being at the hospital ... just ... nope.

So, I brought my bicycle and trainer into the lounge room, set it all up in front of the TV, and that's where I've been riding for the past month or 6 weeks or so. :) Bright, climate controlled, and I can do as much or as little as I want to do. :)

A friend at work uses Zwift, so I got some information from him about how to set that up, and now I ride the Zwift courses. Yesterday I just wanted to do about half an hour, got on the course, and discovered that there were a series of sprints. First one I wasn't paying much attention, but I went flat out for the next two ... and today my legs are feeling it a bit!

Last Saturday, I did a longer course on Zwift and ended up riding an hour and 20 minutes. That's the longest ride I've done on a trainer in quite some time! Usually I only do 30-60 minutes. But the Zwift course was motivating enough for me to keep going.

I was running outside on weekends early in the day before going into the hospital, but I might have to give my feet a break from that for a little while.

I also walk quite a bit ... averaging about 30 km/week, but this week I'm down to 21 km. Again, trying to give my feet a break.

The one thing I do need to add back into my exercise routine is weights and core work. And a bit more stretching too! :grimace:

Machka in Oz

What part of the Canadian Prairies are you from Machka?

Tracey in Edmonton
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Lanette I used to walk 5 dogs when I was raising Rat Terriers in TN.

Katla yes, we will be in Winslow for the Fourth of July. Going to stay there for two weeks.

RV Rita still in Grants New Mexico
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options

Question. What do you ladies do when a relative doesn't make good on their word? Ok, my step sister has a bunch of pages showing her recently passed father and my mother, like when they met etc. I sent them to her for his funeral this last March. She said she'd sent it all back. Nothing. I have emailed her our new address, etc, and she has replied stating its by her door waiting to get packed up. That's as far as its gotten. I even told her a white lie stating I was making photo albums for each of the boys, and would really like those pictures back, since Grandpa Bob was really the only grandpa they knew. No response! Aack! Any suggestions? I have sent her an email that just says, I would really appreciate those pictures back.

Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

WHAT DO YOU MEAN. ! I CALL THEM OUT!!
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    lol Lenora- I have been reading about the snake massages. I love snakes and could say that those would be right up my alley! Kind of like a rolling stone massage with muscles. I work with small children, was a scout leader, volunteer and docent for our local museum. Most people don't know about my affinity for snakes. Snakes are kind of like tattoos. People always think you are tough or a hard-a** if you like/have them. I love snakes (had a boa as a pet) and I got my first tattoo at 50. And I look like a nice sweet grandma. B) KJ (Kelly)

KJ I love snakes too! All reptiles really. (But, there is a good chance with my long straight hair that I *might* qualify as hippy looking (tho I tend to solid color clothes, not prints)

I draw the line at tattoos tho, I’ve never been able to think of ANYTHING I’d be willing to have drawn on my body that I would not regret in 10 years. And looking back at the few tattoo designs I’ve thought might be nice over the years, yup, I sure would regret them now.

Rye

I had always thought the same thing about tattoos, nothing meant enough to me to have my self permanently marked. In 2012 when my Dad was sick I was in NB and my daughters and husband were still in AB. My girls were grown and out of the house, but they had gone and had dinner with their Dad. The three of them together decided that we should all get a tattoo with the word Ohana in it. They sort of ganged up on me and I promised I would get one. I finally after years figured out what I want, now I just need the money to go with it. I am going to get a bouquet of violets with a ribbon that says Ohana. Violets are the official flower for NB where my heart will always be and it is the flower for February which is when both of my girls were born. I also love the colour purple. My eldest daughter has hers started, she has a full leg piece with birth month flowers of those closest to her. Her husband, children, grandparents, my husband and I and one very special friend. My youngest is just getting the word tattoed and my husband is thinking of a DNA strand.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I'm sitting here waiting for my husband to come back with painting supplies so I can get started on painting at the rental house. It's amazing how in eight months someone can almost tear apart all the previous hard work. Broken door dog scratches all over the wooden floor where they must have tied him to the couch or other furniture and scratches all over the bathroom door they must have locked the dog in the bathroom when they were gone. Broken closet door. New tenant has two cats so hopefully damage will be kept to a minimum. At least we have a higher damage deposit with this one.

My daughter is out of the hospital but was sent home with pain pills and is actually really in need of being back in. My daughter-in-law is still having issues and is in quarantine. Please keep both of them in your prayers or thoughts!

Water I also like to drink room temperature water especially if exercising. And even more so when I mix it with apple cider vinegar! Coldwater makes it 10 times more repulsive! :#
    Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota\Arizona
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Good evening!

DH and I took the grandkids to a flea market today. They didn’t know what it was and Zech the older of the two asked me on the way there what was sold there. I told him fleas! LOL! We drove up to a back parking lot with gravel covering most of it and the woods growing right up to the edge. Kind of spooky looking back there really. It’s a huge old warehouse from years past and they must have 100 spaces for antiques, treasures and just stuff. Gabby found beanie babies and a sleeping kitten that had rabbit fur on it. It looks real and is battery operated to make it look like it’s breathing. It’s cute! I have to take s nail file to the battery connections to get off some rust but I put the batteries in it and it works! Zech found a car he liked. He’s getting into the age where he would rather put things on a shelf. Last week I told them I would get them something; he opted for a live plant! He likes plants. Go figure! I never know what to expect.
    It’s been 15 days now since DYD dropped them off. It is starting to wear on us. We just can’t take off like we like, you know it’s hard after all the kids have been gone for over 20 years.

Lenora I’m so sorry you have been having such a hard time if it lately. Prayers for you dear!

Have a good evening, I’m trying to leave to snacks alone! I’m winning!!
    Dana in Arkansas

I can't imagine having my grandkids for that length of time it's nice to have them, but not to have to be responsible 24 hours a day.

My MIL and FIL have raised my niece she is 18 now, but being in their 70's I think it's time they were able to be alone and enjoy their life.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I have made egg’s home one of my favorites. I look forward to following along as you help that house reach its full potential.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Okie, Barbie, and Katla- Count me in as someone who likes to drink room temperature water. I actually have a 20 oz water bottle that I fill with room temp water and work my way through that (refilling it when empty). I placed blue hair elastics on it and move them from the top to the bottom, to track how many ounces I have drank during the day. I usually get a good 50 ounces down before 9am. Then I taper off after dinner, so that I am not up all night peeing!
    Barbara-the tattoo I got when I turned 50 was one I had in my mind for many years. My son paid for it for a birthday gift. SO...I have the words "carpe diem" in script at the nape of my neck. Most of the time my hair covers it. I have had plans for another tattoo for about eight years. It would be larger and more expensive and probably partially visible in the summer as it would travel up my spine.
    Heather- the music podcasts sound interesting! I find it very interesting to think about how different music speaks to different people and why.

Well, I got my shopping and paperwork done yesterday. We will see how much of the baseboards I can get painted today. I used some bonus points that I earned from scholastic book orders and was able to get about 10 books for Joaquin! I found out that he had no Eric Carle books, among other children's classic books! DD is an Usborne consultant so he has lots of very cool Usborne books; but so many schools and classes refer to certain children's books like Goodnight Moon, Runaway Bunny, Very Hungry Caterpillar, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, etc. I am very excited! The order is due to arrive this week and I can send them home with DD and Joaquin after their visit in THREE WEEKS!!!

Well, I better get busy! It is a overcast yucky day and if I don't get moving, I could easily let this be a day of sitting on my butt. This type of weather always makes me feel like doing nothing! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I love buying books for my grandchildren, we buy them a book for birthday and Christmas each year. I like giving them books based on their personality and interest each time but I also try to find some my SIL will enjoy as well. He is not a big fan of reading out loud, but every other night he still reads to them so I try to make it enjoyable for him as well.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Morning, all...

Kind of off-cycle from beginning each month on the 1st, as I started this re-dedication to the proposition of getting healthier and losing weight on January 24, but pleased to say I've lost nearly four pounds this month (after only two last month). I think it was Snowflake who was asking about how much you should try to lose weekly... and the answer still remains whatever you can stick with. I know that my body will snap back if I try to lose too much too fast. For my fellow numbers junkies, the graphs are below for this five-month journey so far. The overall goal seems to recede into the distance on occasion, but I went into it as a long-term thing, knowing that it would reasonably take me at least a year. So, I just do my best to take it literally one day at a time.

Am averaging now about one pound loss over every five to six days. I'm tracking to hit my first major weight-loss goal (150) at almost exactly the one-year mark from my start date. I know loss will slow down between now and then, so pretty relaxed about the end date on that. When I get there, I'll decide whether I wish to continue down to 135, which would put me in the "normal" BMI for the first time since I was 19 years old.

For those who don't know me, I had gastric bypass done in Sept. 2005, when I weighed 303 pounds, lost 99 pounds in the first six months after the surgery, and within the following year, hit my low of 137. Got divorced, remarried, happy, and the scale started inching back upward. The 217.9 point that I hit in January of this year was my highest since the surgery.

Anyway, for now, the most immediate goal is 164, which would put me at "overweight" instead of "obese." Working on getting to that by Thanksgiving.

Feeling pretty pleased, overall, with my journey from 217.9 pounds to 190.5:

056x7xj2rbrg.jpg

l6t3ehxquezp.jpg

di2v6fdr4dpd.jpg

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas

That was me asking, thanks for sharing your graphs, it helps put things in perspective. I feel like I've plateaued for the last three or 4 weeks. I just need to have patience and determination I think.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Mary so sorry for the stress on your family. Prayers.

I am down 10 pounds since I have changed my diet. I like what a friend said to me. Think about the delicious food I am able to eat and enjoy versus what is no longer on the menu. I also respect that others may not feel as strongly as I do about the changes I have made. Everyone has to come up with a diet that works for them to keep them healthy. I am using the word diet to mean the food choices you make.

The change came from reading Bright Line Eating that had a more rigorous approach and The Microbiome Solution. I will caution you if you read Bright Line Eating and take the how addicted to sweets you are you will be on her e-mail list. When I see her e-mails I use it as a check to see if my diet is on track. She also recommends you watch how much you exercise and I am not on that page with her. I do like her basic diet and sticking to three meals a day. Her diet is in line with helping you establish a healthier gut. The Microbiome Solution diet is similar to hers, but it is easier for me to follow. The Bright Line Eating convinced me to remove as much as I could from my diet sugar and refined grains from my diet. The Microbiome got me to look more closely at corn, soybeans, and wheat and how they are grown. I also look for foods that are non GMOS.

:heart: Margaret
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Question. What do you ladies do when a relative doesn't make good on their word? Ok, my step sister has a bunch of pages showing her recently passed father and my mother, like when they met etc. I sent them to her for his funeral this last March. She said she'd sent it all back. Nothing. I have emailed her our new address, etc, and she has replied stating its by her door waiting to get packed up. That's as far as its gotten. I even told her a white lie stating I was making photo albums for each of the boys, and would really like those pictures back, since Grandpa Bob was really the only grandpa they knew. No response! Aack! Any suggestions? I have sent her an email that just says, I would really appreciate those pictures back.

Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

WHAT DO YOU MEAN. ! I CALL THEM OUT!!

Well, being that her father had passed/ my step father, I wanted to be respectful of that. People do have different time tables than mine, and to demand my pictures seemed a bit callous.
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie Bug: Lisa, I have made egg’s home one of my favorites. I look forward to following along as you help that house reach its full potential.

Thanks, Kay! I'm just trying to keep myself busy in the next 3.7 weeks (not that I'm counting or anything) until we close. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll put up the inside pics. Lots and lots (and lots) of work, but we'll make a priority list and knock them down one at a time. Going to take some serious Kilz painting to knock down the smoke smell in a couple rooms. Will probably have to wash walls just to get the paint to stick. Evidently the older lady who's selling it kept it up beautifully, but when she moved into town, the son and girlfriend moved in and just let everything go to heck in a handbasket.
    Tracy in Edmonton: That was me asking, thanks for sharing your graphs, it helps put things in perspective. I feel like I've plateaued for the last three or 4 weeks. I just need to have patience and determination I think.

Tracy - that's one of the reasons I use the graphs so extensively. If you look at them, the month by month one looks like a nice, smooth progression. The weekly one looks more jagged, and the daily one looks like a road you would drive very carefully. It's never as smooth as it looks in the long-term... it's days and sometimes a week of setbacks, and without the graphs, I'd get very discouraged.

And because I really am a numbers junkie, this one helps the most:

aktmn356afcv.jpg

Every point on this graph is the difference between the weight I am on a given day and the weight I was a week prior--so Tuesday compares to the previous Tuesday. Obviously, I'd like them all to be below that center 0 line, but they're not, and they never have been. But, one noticeable pattern is that when I struggle for a week or so, I see more losing points. It looks like a heartbeat pattern on a monitor, almost, and tells me that things always swing the other way before dropping or rising again. As long as I'm continuing to stick very close to my eating plan, I can ignore the daily blows that the scale can often give, if that makes sense, as this tells me it's rhythmic and not straight line.

More than you ever wanted to know, I'm thinking!

Love y'all!
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Dr. Katie Bug: Lisa, I have made egg’s home one of my favorites. I look forward to following along as you help that house reach its full potential.

Thanks, Kay! I'm just trying to keep myself busy in the next 3.7 weeks (not that I'm counting or anything) until we close. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll put up the inside pics. Lots and lots (and lots) of work, but we'll make a priority list and knock them down one at a time. Going to take some serious Kilz painting to knock down the smoke smell in a couple rooms. Will probably have to wash walls just to get the paint to stick. Evidently the older lady who's selling it kept it up beautifully, but when she moved into town, the son and girlfriend moved in and just let everything go to heck in a handbasket.
    Tracy in Edmonton: That was me asking, thanks for sharing your graphs, it helps put things in perspective. I feel like I've plateaued for the last three or 4 weeks. I just need to have patience and determination I think.

Tracy - that's one of the reasons I use the graphs so extensively. If you look at them, the month by month one looks like a nice, smooth progression. The weekly one looks more jagged, and the daily one looks like a road you would drive very carefully. It's never as smooth as it looks in the long-term... it's days and sometimes a week of setbacks, and without the graphs, I'd get very discouraged.

And because I really am a numbers junkie, this one helps the most:

aktmn356afcv.jpg

Every point on this graph is the difference between the weight I am on a given day and the weight I was a week prior--so Tuesday compares to the previous Tuesday. Obviously, I'd like them all to be below that center 0 line, but they're not, and they never have been. But, one noticeable pattern is that when I struggle for a week or so, I see more losing points. It looks like a heartbeat pattern on a monitor, almost, and tells me that things always swing the other way before dropping or rising again. As long as I'm continuing to stick very close to my eating plan, I can ignore the daily blows that the scale can often give, if that makes sense, as this tells me it's rhythmic and not straight line.

More than you ever wanted to know, I'm thinking!

Love y'all!
    Lisa in Arkansas

That's awesome, do you log your weight daily? I only put losses in over 1/2 a pound and I never enter gains.