WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did hula hooping for 5 minutes, held my plank for 3 minutes, then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to use this machine that I understand is a lot like a ski machine. Should be interesting.

Kim – I agree, real friends don’t take advantage of one another. I would never dream of taking advantage of a friend. I would (and have) asked a friend for a price quote. If the person lowers their price for me, that’s fine. But I certainly don’t expect it.

My daughter had the Tone-It-Up protein powder and when she moved I took the chocolate. The thing I like about it is that it doesn’t contain any added sugar or artificial sugars. The bad thing is that I think it takes some getting used to. You expect chocolate to be on the sweet side. After all, chocolate IS sweet. But this isn’t. However…I’ve found that adding cinnamon you don’t even notice that the chocolate is in there. I’m thinking that this might be good to add to baked goods. Now at first I wasn’t crazy at all about the shirataki noodles, now I’d prefer to have them than regular pasta. So I think it’s all in what you get used to. Right now I’m just using ½ a scoop. I understand Target sells it, so after I’ve finished hers I might buy some for myself.

Uhhhh…why did I do this? I had a brownie this morning, now I feel “yuk”. Serves me right. Well, I’ll log it.

Just saw about the laughing cow cheese cups. I wonder if they need refrigeration? Might be something good to take on a road trip if they don’t have to be refrigerated. I know the wheels of LC don’t need to be refrigerated until they are opened. Why, I don’t know. But if you take an individual triangle, that should be refrigerated.

As usual, Mondays have been busy. Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army (found this really cute shirt), then Aldi who had bananas on sale for 22 cents a pound, so you know I bought and I am planning to freeze them. Then bowling, ceramics, then mahjongg

As I was about to leave for ceramics, my glasses broke. Then, when I came out of ceramics it was raining so I went to open my umbrella, it’s broken.

Meg – I’m so sorry about your friend. That IS young

I log my weight weekly, regardless if there is a loss or a gain. Unfortunately, it always seems to be in the same general area

KJ – you’ve made me want to have a beer butt chicken. Haven’t had that in a while

Kristen – way to go!

Michele in NC
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Rye – Thanks for the idea of a cantaloupe or watermelon blender drink. Right now they are saying not to buy pre-cut fruit; but, I am sure I could buy one that hasn’t been cut up. Makes you wonder about people washing their hands before handling food. I’m surprised there are not more food illnesses. I like both fruits. In fact, there is very few fruits that I don’t like. I’ll even try something I have never seen before. I forgot what the lady in the fruit department called it. Look like a beet with horns. She cut it up and it had a pretty bland taste and texture. Sort of like a Kiwi, just not tart like one. I’ve belched and burped a lot. Then I suddenly can’t catch my breath and my chest hurts like hell-o kitty. Drinking something hot, usually makes that go away. I don’t like the feeling of not being able to ‘catch my breath’ and the MD said that between 2 and 4 weeks, it would really be rough; but, part of that is the healing of the incision and that it was important to push through it.

Kelly – One of my 1st cousins was the Retile Keeper at the Atlanta Zoo in the early 70’s. He always had critters and snakes in their basement growing up. I’d stay with my Aunt Virginia, thank you very much. He is also the one who brought the firecrackers for the Reunion in the summer. He dared me to go put a lit cherry bomb in a milk can and lay the top on it lightly. I knew to get away; it went off just a few seconds after I did it and it blew the lid off it, I jumped off the porch and ran around the side of the house as Daddy and Layfield were running out the door stripping their belts out of the loops. Everybody ‘old enough’ got a whupping; I came back into the house as if I had taken a nap. I remember it like it was last week; but, Don doesn’t remember it at all. Snakes and tattoos … bet on is of a snake, right?

Kelly and Rye – I remember a young woman that was at an Easter egg hunt at my DnL’s SnL’s house and very pregnant. She had had a sun tattooed around her belly button and she pulled up her top to show everybody how it had stretched with her belly. She had stretch marks; and, I commented that it might look like a ‘setting sun’ after the baby was born. I don’t think she liked that; but, hey … could be. One reason I don’t have any tattoos either. Not that I think they are bad. I’ve ‘thought’ of a few things; but, never gone so far as look at a tattoo bar. Youngest son had one, I made him make the choice of having it removed or having it tattooed over. He chose to have it tattooed over and then he had that one tattooed over – although he ‘swears’ he didn’t. He did!

Katla – I am really happy for you with your husband ‘coming alive right in front of your eyes’. When my BnL had a stroke, the surgeons told them that it was the worst bleed they had ever seen in all their years of practice and 2 years later, the only thing he cannot do is play tennis because of some weakness in his arm. He moves slower; but, he had already started moving slower before the stroke. He was always alert when they brought him out of surgery (he had 3 of them) and talked to the MDs and answered questions appropriated, he’d get a little mixed up with some dates; but, I would classify him as a ‘walking miracle’.

Margaret – Thank you. While I have been burping and belching like a locomotion, at least I am NOT having that ‘acid reflux’ that I did for so many years.

Janetr OKC – I have taken all my vitamins, supplements, and OTC medications out of my pill box. None of these are chewable or come in liquid form or can be cut or crushed. I figure it won’t hurt to not take them. I do take my regular meds – bipolar and seizure. I haven’t cut a couple of the other out; but, they are all small. I know this won’t be something that will plague me this bad, forever – might be a lifetime of learning how to eat slowly; but, that is working better today than it was 3 days ago. I’ll get used to it.

Barbie – I have been trying (along with Trey) to talk Louis into a smartphone; right now he has the old standard ‘flip phone’ and to text on it is difficult and slow. I figure he will end up being pulled over by the cops and either ‘warned’ the first time or given a ticket for talking on it, even at a red light. They did have it on the news again tonight and it goes into effect on the 1st. He did listen to it. And, when the trooper said there would be ‘points’ added to his driving record, I ‘think’ that maybe he knew that he did to want to mess up and 60-year driving record.

Dana – Thank you. It’s been a trying 6 months for sure; but, I’m a ‘tough old bird’. I just hope that the MD will be able to come up with a solution for the excessive daytime sleepiness. I’m going to remember to tell him about the seizures and getting Dilantin Toxic because of the MD changing my seizure meds (before my Neurologist got me back on to what I was on pre-hospitalization.

Michelle – Taylor has a college education and is going back to school so that she can study to pass a test that she’ll have to pass to get into PT School and she has had several jobs as a ‘sales clerk’ and HATED it. She finally got a job in a library (don’t know if it is the school library or city library) but at least she can work and study. Not a very demanding job; and, she likes to read anyway and I would think that would be something helpful. Waitressing is not an easy job; but, a good one in a good restaurant can make pretty good tips. Bartenders are the ones who bring in the big tips. Especially if they are good (or gone to bartending school – not just ‘on the job training’).

Katla – I think as soon as the ‘can’t catch my breath feeling eases up’ I will feel a lot better. When it suddenly hits and there is pain in the middle of my chest it is a little scary; but, I know that has to be part of it. He had told me that between week 2 and 4 would be my worst. I think I see that now. See the MD tomorrow and hopefully everything will be as it should and maybe he can give me some pointers.

Auntiebk – I did not ‘think’ about that. You’re probably right. The Alfredo sauce probably would have been a lot better for me. Note to myself. No Marinara sauce for a while anyway.

Kate – Thanks. I’m sure it would have been nice to see them while they were filming their Carpool Karaoke. I remember one of my former HS classmates and a couple of her friends during HS going to see the Beetles when the mother of one took them to Atlanta to see them ‘in person’ … just as they were getting famous here.

Okie – I guess it is just a new thing I will have to learn (at least for a while).

NYKAREN – Thanks!

Margaret – I remember making figs perserves and giving a jar to a friend; then when I opened up one of ours there was ‘mold’ on it. I called and told them about it and the man ‘laughed’ and said, ‘you’re probably too young to remember home canned food’ and ‘scraping off the top layer along with the mold’. UGH. Yeah, I remember, just never saw anybody doing it (except for my paternal grandmother – but, she was ‘weird’ anyway …). She made me drink a glass of freshly milked cow milk with a raw egg in it (she thought I was sickly) … I was surprised when she was trying to teach me how to milk the cow, when she squirted me and it was warm. I had always had ‘cold’ milk – delivered to our home in glass bottles. LOL!!!!

Lisa – I don’t know why I ‘thought’ spaghetti would be something good to eat. I’m going to have to learn to eat a LOT slower. The surgeon says, dime-sized pieces of ‘fork-only’ cut stuff, put it in my mouth and put the fork down and chew for 30 seconds until it is the consistency of baby food … UGH! It’ll get better. He told me to expect to be the last one to finish my meal.
    I hope the closing of the house goes well. Y’all are going to have a ‘big project’ on your hands; cutting the yard and washing it down to get that black mold knocked down. Make sure you wear goggles and a mask when you do start that part of it. It is going to be a real change of life for me; but, I can do it! On your FB ‘blog’ I guess it was – where I saw the house, if that ‘view’ what you have at the house over overlooking an area? My Gosh, that would make me buy a tent if I could buy the land only.
    Just make sure to have everything, especially the ‘gas’ water heater checked out to make sure there are no leaks in it. Make sure you ‘ask’ for an inspection of the house in the event there are things that would cost you a lot of money to have to fix. Looks like it would be a house that you would be able to ‘negotiate’ the price … given the apparent length of time since someone has lived there.
    I know what you mean by not getting all excited until the paperwork is signed. Our first home was a 2-story house in an older section of Jacksonville, FL and it had been empty for 2+ years. A rotting potato is the worst smell I think I have ever smelled. And we had a ‘rat’ that would come up into the space oil heater. Loved the house; but, we got transferred to Albany, GA (for the first time) about 18 months after we moved there from Atlanta. But, I think, besides this house, my favorite house was a 2-story house in another older section of town that we moved into after being transferred back from Macon, GA; but, as I say – God moves (you) in mysterious ways. I don’t believe in ‘fate’; but, life would have been different if the paths that got crossed never got crossed.
    As for hot water without electricity – use it sparingly before it gets cold, and then hope and pray that the power gets turned back on quickly. The new, smaller but more efficient hot water heaters they now have out might be the way to go. From all I have heard is that they never run out of hot water. While I wonder if they mean that 15 people can take a shower and have hot water or they don’t tell you that in their advertisements.

Machka in Oz – While your husband went through a helluva lot to get to this point, I can remember how I felt after getting released from the hospital after 4 weeks on a floor that I would rather have not ever had to have been on in the first place. I came home and slept most of the time. A good bit of that was the fact that my seizure medications were ‘dicked with’ and should not have been. Got Dilantin Toxic in January and really felt like $#*T warmed over. The Neurologist told me that being Toxic was like ‘chug-a-lugging’ a 5th of liquor a day. I’d be foggy-headed, stumble and/or fall, slur my words … everything he said, I had done, then some. I don’t think I have gotten over that yet; but, Wednesday evening going back to the ‘sleep MD’ to talk to him since that was the 1st step my Neurologist told me to do. If he can’t do anything; then, I am going back to Neurologist and have an EEG performed. I have not had one since I started going to him, I had one by the Neurologist that he took over for. I don’t know what to expect or think – but, I want to believe that my DH will have a reason to give up thinking that I should just ‘give up driving’. But, I also want to make sure that I am not a danger to myself or others; but, it is getting old for others to have to be “Driving Miss Daisy”. It isn’t convenient for me or for them, when they work 25-30 miles away and I have a mid-morning or mid-afternoon appointment. I don’t have anywhere for me to stay and I don’t have any control over when the MDs can see me. I have not driven on an Interstate in more than 3 years.
    Fatigue (meltdown) like shopping on Black Friday or the last moment before Christmas – you could not pay me enough. One reason that Christmas gifts have now become ‘gift cards’ … they can shop!

Rye – I can drink ‘hot’ water (and our hot water heater is set up) with lemon juice with no problems, if I take it slow; but, it either has to be ‘hot’ or it has to be ‘iced’ for me to drink enough liquids.

Kelly – When our oldest granddaughter was in the summer between her junior and senior year, she went on a week vacation with her best friend and her family to Nevada and got a henna tattoo on her back side and sent a picture of it to her Daddy … who sort of ‘freaked’; but, shortly after that (and before it was good and dry) she swiped her hand over a portion of it and smeared it. It apparently wasn’t setting well with her body; so she washed most of it off and took Benadryl for the itching.

Rebecca – OH $#*T – Nipple piercings … that I cannot handle. It hurts just ‘thinking’ about it! My DDnL#1 had the inside of her ear pierce to help with ‘migraines’. Talk about killer headaches from an infection … she was screaming when they finally were able to take it out (after a course of antibiotics). I’ve seen piercings (my niece has a lot of them; and, I want to ask, ‘how do you ……??????’; but, not real sure I want to know.

Carole – You’ve got bragging rights for sure … that is great!!!!!

I’m so far behind I will never be able to catch up … but; thanks for all the prayers and suggestions on how to ‘change my eating habits’. Now to jump to the last page and post this (hopefully I won’t lose it).

Lenora
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lenora "Janetr OKC – I have taken all my vitamins, supplements, and OTC medications out of my pill box. None of these are chewable or come in liquid form or can be cut or crushed. I figure it won’t hurt to not take them. I do take my regular meds – bipolar and seizure. I haven’t cut a couple of the other out; but, they are all small. I know this won’t be something that will plague me this bad, forever – might be a lifetime of learning how to eat slowly; but, that is working better today than it was 3 days ago. I’ll get used to it."

I'm glad to hear it is slowly getting better. I hope it continues in that dtection. You have had enough going on for a while now, you need a break and just be able to feel good and enjoy life. I also eat too fast, I have all my life. I try to make a conscious effort to slow down, sometimes Jack will remind me, which helps. It's a bad habit for sure. Hugs and hope you continue to mend. How is your wrist?

Janetr OKC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Lenora,
    No worries, you never need to catch up, just check in now and again. Hugs,
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue: I was late and missed the chance to ride yesterday. I was supposed to have a lesson and blew it :embarassed: The next opportunity to ride with my teacher's instruction will be in about a month, but I expect to ride frequently between now and then. :smiley:

Lanette: You are right about DH, and about our health being connected to our overall happiness. This is a project that he is excited about and it makes him happier than he has been in quite a long time. Attitude has amazing power for good and for bad. :heart:

Rita: I hope that Winslow, Arizona has a great fourth of July celebration. "Take it easy . . ." I'll be thinking of you. We will be in a county park away form all fireworks for the fourth of July. It will be our first real outing in the Bounder. :smiley:

Mary: Keeping your daughter and DIL in my prayers. I hope they're both okay and enjoying life again soon. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Congrats on your weight loss success!!!!! Graphs can sure be motivating. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I'm glad that you're looking at your food choices and making good changes. Congratulations! :bigsmile;

Kristingjertsen: Congratulations on your great progress! Making better choices is powerful. :star:

Mary from MN & AZ: Sending prayers for your daughter and daughter in law. :heart:

Lenora: Thank you for your kind words regarding DH. :smiley: I agree with Rebecca about catching up. Check in when you can and don't worry about it when you have other things that are more urgent. :star:

Yoga today was a high point. I really enjoyed the class. We have a couple of errands to do in Portland tomorrow. I hope we are able to avoid unpleasant traffic and get back home relatively quickly.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.”
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Carol - Brilliant for your granddaughter. She looks like a champion. <3

Mary - What a worry for you. Sending healing thoughts. <3 I don't envy you sorting out the rental. :#

I got up at 6.30 this morning and went running in the lanes. Lovely! Listened to the BBC Soul Music podcasts. Anyone else listening to them? They are great.
    Now yoga. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,704 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Slept well and am up and dressed and having my tea..will get the pooch out for a walk...
    I will be working the 7th of July which I was going to take off, I really wanted to go up to the cottage, but it hasnt been opened,because it needs some work...and with all the stuff with my dads estate going on we haven't had time to do anything.. so I will not be going or doing anything this summer.., but it could be worse..
    I have to look at it...as a roof over my head, a pup who loves me and wonderful family and friends .... I am blessed..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Just popping in! Life is happening and a crazy one it is! Haven't slowed down. Keep up your awesome support!
    <3
    Kylia in crazy, twisted, unorganized Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: I think cycling is one of the best forms of exercise, along with walking, swimming and yoga. Does your weather make it a pleasure during this season? I ride a stationary bike at the gym regularly before my yoga class. It gets my whole body tuned up for yoga & the day. :bigsmile:

No, the winter weather here isn't particularly nice. It's not like the Canadian prairie winters I'm used to ... it's like the Pacific Northwest winters: chilly, rainy, damp, windy. Nights get down to about freezing. Daytime highs hit about 10°C. It often snows at higher elevations, and will occasionally snow as far down as sea level.

Snow here is predicted by elevation. Today, there's supposed to be snow down to 800 metres ... we're at about 50 metres above sea level. Our local mountain is about 1200 metres, so it will be topped with snow.

Today is 10°C with winds gusting to 60 km/h providing us with a "feels like" temperature of about 6°C, and they're predicting that it is going to start raining here (snowing at higher elevations) within the next couple hours.

It's also very hilly here, so trying to battle all that plus haul my butt up hills is really unpleasant.

Also, since my husband had his accident and has been in hospital, it has been pitch dark by the time I get home after visiting him. I don't mind riding at night when the weather isn't too bad, but the idea of going out in the dark, cold, wind, and often rain after a long day of work and being at the hospital ... just ... nope.

So, I brought my bicycle and trainer into the lounge room, set it all up in front of the TV, and that's where I've been riding for the past month or 6 weeks or so. :) Bright, climate controlled, and I can do as much or as little as I want to do. :)

A friend at work uses Zwift, so I got some information from him about how to set that up, and now I ride the Zwift courses. Yesterday I just wanted to do about half an hour, got on the course, and discovered that there were a series of sprints. First one I wasn't paying much attention, but I went flat out for the next two ... and today my legs are feeling it a bit!

Last Saturday, I did a longer course on Zwift and ended up riding an hour and 20 minutes. That's the longest ride I've done on a trainer in quite some time! Usually I only do 30-60 minutes. But the Zwift course was motivating enough for me to keep going.

I was running outside on weekends early in the day before going into the hospital, but I might have to give my feet a break from that for a little while.

I also walk quite a bit ... averaging about 30 km/week, but this week I'm down to 21 km. Again, trying to give my feet a break.

The one thing I do need to add back into my exercise routine is weights and core work. And a bit more stretching too! :grimace:

Machka in Oz

What part of the Canadian Prairies are you from Machka?

Tracey in Edmonton

All of it!

Most of my life in Alberta, in several different locations including Edmonton (where I got one of my degrees) but mostly near Grande Prairie and Red Deer.

Next longest period in Manitoba ... Winnipeg.

And a few years in Saskatchewan ... Regina.

Machka, the Canadian in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

Machka - Prayers continue for you and your husband. I may not remember to tell you often enough, but you are in my prayers daily.

Question for you Ladies - Do you think my needing to gain about 5 lbs is playing in to me wanting to eat ALL THE TIME? For the last 3 or 4 weeks, I have wanted to eat constantly. I'm not talking binge eating, starting and not being able to stop. I'm talking wanting to constantly graze. A handful of popcorn, two cheez-its, a chunk of watermelon, etc. I am not going over my daily cals, it all fits, it is just more of a graze with 3 small meals in between. I know that it has to be mental, I am not truly hungry but I want to eat. It is similar to when I was on liquids only for my jaw and just wanted to chew something. My jaw has been giving me some problems again, maybe I am eating more often to store up chewing for fear of being put back on liquids again for a week or two? I really don't know. It isn't a big problem, I am just curious if you have any thoughts.

Have a great day Ladies - I am heading in to my desk to get my workday started. The commute is a killer :smiley:

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    B)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    Mary does your daughter have any insight to what is causing her pain. She knows her body the best and I hope she finds the right help that can help her address the root cause and start a plan towards healing. Her pain is real and I think she is right covering it up is only a temporary solution.

Karen she did not address the fat versus non fat issue in yogurt. She did talk about eating non sugared yogurts and look at what the active cultures the yogurts have. Another thing to consider is what the cow was fed. I am looking for yogurts that say the cows are pasture or grass fed. When they are fed grains like corn their bodies are not meant to digest these foods particularly corn and it creates more inflammation for them and thus for us when eat those products. For the same reason I try to eat grass fed beef or bison. For cost reasons it is often grass fed hamburger. I am not able to do this 100% but I am becoming more aware and more picky what I eat.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Llll
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Mary I am guessing your house & cabin will be done in no time flat. We will be waiting to get some more news about your daughter's worrisome abdominal mass. Can you rely on her husband to stay in frequent contact with you? I am sorry your daughter doesn't want you there right now, but I get it because I am similar...although if I had to undergo surgery, my first choice would be my mother to be with me (if she was still alive). She was the very best advocate & caretaker an ill/hospitalized person could hope for. (((Hugs)))

And continued healing thoughts for your daughter-in-law with C. difficile.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mary, Biggest big hugs ever. You certainly have a lot on your plate. I'll be praying for my you and your family <3

Janetr OKC
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Mary - hugs and prayers continue!

Okie
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    While enjoying my second cup of after exercise coffee who decided to wander into my backyard??!!

A momma with 4!!little ones. And I thought they were nocturnal!!!