JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,191 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    I did the Sweaty Betty routine again!
    Didn't complete it all although I didn't expect too but that's my new goal, to successfully complete it!
    Those from JFT 2017 will know the one I mean!

I deserve a treat!

Great job Bex!!!!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    @toaljasa @Snowflake1968 @mytime6630

I really appreciate the solidarity and encouragement. I think if I hadn't come to this thread and posted this could easily have been a multi day disaster, but right now I'm feeling optimistic about tomorrow. Thank you all so much.

And mytime6630, I will definitely come here first if I'm tempted to do this again, and now I'll look for you to do the same! :)

Also, one final thought, when I was @ing Snowflake, someone came up with the screenname "Snowflake Kisses" Isn't that a lovely image? Makes me think of kids spinning in a light snowfall with their faces turned up to the sky while gentle snowflakes slip onto their cheeks.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,191 Member

I do, but let me start off by saying I am quite tall and heavy so I get more calories than a lot of others do. I've been playing with my calories quite a bit this year as I started the year on medication that made me hungry all the blasted time. So my suggested calories were right around 1800 and I ended up increasing to 2270. I'm off the meds now so I haven't been as hungry and while I still lost weight it was pretty slow, so I've just cut back to 2070 to see how it goes. But don't be afraid to play with it a little bit and if you do increase your calories slightly, be prepared to hold on to a little weight that first week. When I adjusted upward it took me about 2 1/2 weeks to see the scale move down again, but it did. I think the important part is feeling good rather than losing really fast. I mean, I could have gutted it out at 1800 calories and been chewing on the wooden furniture, but what I found myself doing was miserably holding out for a few days, then overeating by a significant amount. It wasn't worth it to me.

That was a LOT of words to say basically this: they are YOUR calories. It is YOUR food plan. As long as you are getting enough nutrition (i.e., not below 1200, no matter what, and not hungry all the time or feeling like a wreck, getting adequate nutrients, fat, and protein) there is no "wrong" way to allocate them. Unless you are already quite tiny, you will almost certainly lose weight well at 1400 calories too.

How tall are you? I am 5'11", and I've had so many tell me I need to eat more. I think I attempt to keep my calories between 1200-1400, and I am beginning to wonder if that is backfiring on me. That maybe if I increase it more, I won't be as tempted to binge eat. I only have 10 pounds to lose now to get out of the "overweight" range, but just can't seem to get that done. I've been playing back and forth with those last 15 pounds since last October!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I am ALSO 5'11", at least in shoes. Without them, I'm 5'10 and most of an inch. ;) Do you know what rate of loss you have your mfp settings at? You might try inputting a 1 lb a week loss and see what the system suggests for you. When I cut too far back on my calories it's just really, really hard for me to stay under.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    OMG!!! I think there are like 75 posts just for today!! Such a active thread -- I almost gave up trying to find my last post (and realized I didn't even post any monday goals)! I had to go back almost 6 pages!! Love it though!

After my terrible binge over the weekend, today was not the best, but not nearly as bad.

@nickssweetheart -- you are definitely not alone!! Ice cream is my worse downfall.... and once I get started, its like my brain leaves my head, and I just go numb.

But ... you did great in logging it all, and being accountable. That alone is a NSV! LIke @toaljasa said, it is only ONE day, and the best thing is to get right back on track (don't let it turn into 3 days like I did). This is the key to being successful. We don't have to be perfect everyday, just when we stumble, get right back on track, and put that day behind us!.. This for me is my biggest obstacle. I do great as long as I stay perfect. When I get off, it takes me so long to get back on track. I eventually do get back on track, because I want to be successful, and get those stubborn last 10 pounds off, but it is hard for me. Thats why I love this thread.

And BTW @toaljasa -- thank you so much for being the best, biggest motivator to all of us!! I don't always have time to comment, but I absolutely love how you encourage each of us!

These were my sunday goals:
    1. go to the gym :) Already did this, so off to a good start today
    2. log all food :)
    3. april challenge = 8+ cups water :)
    4. may challenge - 15 minute walk tonite :/
    5. june challenge - mindful eating. Stay away from emotional stuff. :)
    6. clean house :):)
    7. get back on here - be accountable
    8. do NOT weigh myself until next sunday .... and do not give up. :/ WHY do I do this! The scale is NOT going to move everyday, no matter how good I am!!

Here are my goals for tomorrow
    1. getting haircut and colored, so light breakfast
    2. log ALL food
    3. april challenge - 8+ cups of water
    4. may challenge - get out for a walk. Since I can't get to the gym in the morning, maybe a afternoon trip to the gym?
    5. june challene - mindful eating
    6. sip on water in the evening. Get back out of that habit of nitetime grazing.
    7. DO NOT WEIGH myself. Just stay on track

The bolded section above is I think absolutely at the heart of this all @mytime6630 and @nickssweetheart

It really isn’t about the ability to be perfect/eat clean/exercise every day. It’s about moving forward immediately from the times when we aren’t. This is why JFT is so useful to me as I think it helps keep it all in perspective. We’ve all had rough days but we are here still. And there is always a brand new day.

Let’s make today a good one x
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,064 Member
    Didn't complete it all although I didn't expect too but that's my new goal, to successfully complete it!

https://youtu.be/t5Xyb2h_KHo

There's the link! If anyone wants to try!

I've burned 700 calories today! And ate 1500!

I deserve a treat!

I'm trying this workout!

Let me know how you find it! 😈
  • Bex953172
    Can anyone explain why my weight is up today? By 1lb? 😡😡😡

Don’t worry I’m not discouraged, if anything I’m more motivated to get those numbers down!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :)
    - Stick to food plan :)
    - 4 bottles water :)
    - No alcohol :/ Boyfriend suggested gin and I was in a bad mood so I said yes (see below on emotional eating!) Will swap this no alcohol day to another day this week
    - 30+ mins lunch break :smile:
    - French article, podcast, Duolingo, book :smile:
    - Do some french revision :/ Was exhausted after a long day so didn't do this
    - Don't exceed 9.5 hours work :neutral: Did 9.75... hence being exhausted!

June challenge:

June 10: "I'm on holiday" = chocolate :s
    June 11: Stress = gin, no food :neutral:
    June 12: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 13: 'celebratory' mood + pub + burger/ ice cream :s
    June 14: No emotional eating :smiley:
    June 15: Greed rather than emotions.. :neutral:
    June 16: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 17: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 18: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 19: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 20: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 21: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 22: Greed rather than emotions... :neutral:
    June 23: "F&ck it mood" - pub food/drink :/
    June 24: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 25: Was in a really grumpy, overworked mood. Can't remember why, probably just because of excessive work yesterday. So I had two gins that I hadn't planned :/

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 3 bottles water
    - No alcohol

- 30+ mins lunch break
    - Duolingo, French podcast, French book
    - Stop working at 6pm (to prepare for French)
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    @toaljasa what an inspiration you are love the goals and recap of the past six months. I feel in some ways I have back slidden since I started to work from home. I love not having to go anywhere but that has made me more complicit and lazy in some ways. Need to work on knowing it’s ok to not be ok but that there is a purpose in my walk as well.
    Just found this thread, so far, I have achieved the tracking my food everyday in June. Goals for next month:
    1. Track all food that goes in my mouth
    2. Hit 10,000 steps at least 1x per week (minimum of 5,000 per day).
    3. Get back up no matter how many times I fall.

Thanks for a place to be accountable.

Am new to meal prepping, any ideas that might help me love it? I don't mind the prepping, love the convenience of always having something healthy to grab, but have really been sick of what I've made after the second day.

Great goals. Yes accountability is my need as well. We can do this together. Can’t suggest meal prep I feel the same way you stated. But trying to stick to only healthy food in pantry has helped some. But need to claim you #3 goal.
  • mepeiffer
    toaljasa wrote: »
    Where is the post regarding the half way mark of the year? Can’t find it.. 😒

Well, I posted this one last night...it's the one Tracie, Snowflake, and I have been discussing...

Fellow Sojourners: This is the last week of the first half of 2018! Wow!

We've got six months left in this year to make significant changes on our body, mind, and spirit! We are going for a whole transformation!

We've done well--we persevere. We may stall but we don't quit!

Review or make goals for Dec. 31. Where do you want to be by then? Review/revise/make a plan to get to those goals! Then focus on the process so you will see progress.

We've got to be willing to keep moving and keep changing---we are transforming unhealthy habits into good ones.

Peace and joy, my strong, determined, friends! Now, let's go out there and slay some dragons!

What have you changed/are you changing to reach your goal?
    w4z07s0df5p8.png

Wow do not know what to say but thank you for reposting this. I need you three as my Peter,John,and Paul.
  • mepeiffer
    I have to do a whole bunch of laundry tonight but all I want to do is curl up and go to bed super early! I'm having a seriously hard time keeping my eyes open!

Give in you need extra sleep sometimes (((((hugs)))))
  • mepeiffer

https://youtu.be/t5Xyb2h_KHo

There's the link! If anyone wants to try!

I've burned 700 calories today! And ate 1500!

I deserve a treat!

This is my goal for today to try to exercise
  • mepeiffer
    I am thousands of calories over today and it wasn't emotional eating. I wanted a giant bowl of pasta and a half a pint of ice cream and I ate it. Le sigh. Not even close to what I had planned for the day. I now feel ill and mad at myself. As soon as I feel better I'll try working out for a bit, but that won't even make a dent in the amount of calories I ate today.

Hugs and today is a new day. Don’t let yesterday bring down how well you are going to do today
  • mepeiffer
    jeschepp wrote: »
    Checkin'-in

House chores ✅-super easy since I went gung ho last night
    Start next report at work ✅-barely, but I did some!
    Get to work on time-spectacularly failed. ARG Mondays!
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise ✅
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅-day 22/30!
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow:
    House chores
    Finish report at work
    Get to work on time
    30 minutes exercise
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise
    Track food and exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability

I was able to meet the 1200 net calories today, but I did it by tacking on some items for dinner. I need to add some more sustenance to breakfast and afternoon snack so I'm not so hungry/worn down. I have been eating pretty clean, which I'm proud of. Today's menu allowed for a red potato with a small portion of butter and sour cream. Honestly, with how clean I have been eating, it was like dessert. :smiley: Amazing how perspective can change!

My 6 month goals are to get under 175 lbs. (I plateau here every time!), find a place (and ideally move) close to my sister, start getting out of the house/doing something social every week, read my pile of borrowed books (8), and pay down at least ½ of my credit card.

Great work on goals. Love you 6 mo goals. I need to start posting mine and achieving them.
  • mepeiffer
    Need to get some sleep 💤 will post goals later today.
  • Bex953172
    toaljasa wrote: »

Fellow Sojourners: This is the last week of the first half of 2018! Wow!

We've got six months left in this year to make significant changes on our body, mind, and spirit! We are going for a whole transformation!

We've done well--we persevere. We may stall but we don't quit!

Review or make goals for Dec. 31. Where do you want to be by then? Review/revise/make a plan to get to those goals! Then focus on the process so you will see progress.

We've got to be willing to keep moving and keep changing---we are transforming unhealthy habits into good ones.

Peace and joy, my strong, determined, friends! Now, let's go out there and slay some dragons!

What have you changed/are you changing to reach your goal?

Well like many others I was shocked that we’re nearly at the 6m mark! I feel a bit meh because I’ve not achieved, well, anything health wise.
    But I did bring a beautiful baby into the world.
    My mood is improving every day (I hate being pregnant, literally hate it, it takes a toll on my hormones too much!) but it’s the last baby. It’s strange, before Casey me and my partner were always talking about the kids and schools and moving to a bigger house to accommodate them. Now all the kids are here and we’re not having any more all of our conversations have changed, we’re looking to the future a lot more, we hope in 2 years time to have our own business. Me and my partner are getting on better now I’m not hormonal all the time. Feel like my brain is going back to normal!

So since she’s been born (end of Feb) I spent the first 8 - 12 weeks basically doing nothing health wise because .. well because I’d just had a baby LOL!

But the last few weeks I’ve had to overhaul my diet again, and try get some exercise in, which admittedly wasn’t physically hard to do but it was hard to form it into a consistent thing rather than working at it for a few days then slacking again.

So, going forward. By Dec 31st I want to be as close to 165 as possible!
    13lbs. I just lost 2 in less than a week so it should be do-able!

To do this I need to just keep going on as I’m doing. Keep exercising, keep being in the green and keep drinking! These 3 things WILL get me there! And more importantly, the support off all of you.
    All I will have to change is exercise intensity.
    And I want to master the video I posted.

I don’t want to wait around anymore, I want to get to where I want to be!
  • Bex953172
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    It's been awhile!! Lol!!

Update:
    Baby Noah had his surgery June 8th. The pediatric surgeon's removed his lower right lung lobe and the CCAM lung mass. We stayed in the hospital for 6 days then came home with NO supplemental oxygen needed!!!! Little guy is on the road of recovery!! It's been a long summer but God has been caring for us all through this season. I'm very thankful to all of you who have stayed by my side during this and have been in prayer for our family!! I'm not fully back yet bc our family has decideed to take a nice vacation to the mountains. We leave this weekend and will return July 9th. We're all looking forward to some much needed R&R!! Once we return, I hope to start tackling my health needs, Lol!! Maybe now my body will start recovering :lol:

I know I have months of posts to catch up on but until I can.......Welcome to the new-comers, everyone keep up the hard work (the year is half done!!) and I've missed all you gals :blush:

6/26/18 JFT:

✔Post an update on MFP-JFT

Yay glad your back! Welcome and go enjoy that holiday!