Ever Had A Stranger Insult Your Weightloss Success? (A bit of a rant)

Replies

• glorian13vazquez498
    glorian13vazquez498 Posts: 29 Member
    Don’t worry about what people say to you sweetie, keep doing what is best for your health. They always going to talk anyways. If you’re a little overweight they say “you’re too fat, and if you lose weight they say you look anorexic. Ugggggghhh 😡😡😡
    I learned that no matter what you do, you can’t please people, so I’m happy with my success!
    ENJOY YOUR SUCCESS! 👍👍👍
  • mikepongo1
    mikepongo1 Posts: 3 Member
    So here's a question.
    I frequently see woman at the gym, obviously just getting started. I want to encourage them, but I don't want to seem condescending or make them self conscious. Most of the time I just smile at them. Thoughts?
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    I think the best way is to make them feel welcome in that space.
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    I think I may have “wooed” a couple of people because of where the woo is on my phone. I suddenly realized that my thumb hovers over it while I’m scrolling. So perhaps other people are having the same problem... Anyway I’m sorry you had to put up with such rudeness, I think some people don’t have any filter.

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "woo" mean?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    If I was going to the gym and I will not be going to the gym, I wouldn't want encouragement or advice from strangers unless I asked for it. Would you treat a man the same way, that is the question. Say hi or howdy but let them ask you for help not the other way around. It absolutely makes some people want to leave and never go back. There are trainers/owners that can let someone know if they're doing something wrong. The number of gym memberships I've thrown down the toilet...we simply haven't got the time. How's it goin', toots? Anything I can do for you just let me know. Here, let me show you how to do that. I'm packing up stuff and running for the door.
  • m1ssannthropy
    m1ssannthropy Posts: 35 Member
    People just love to think that they can voice their opinion. I love the saying, "opinions are like *kitten* everybody has one" doesn't mean you need their *kitten* shoved in your face right? I lost 40 kilo and I got asked if I lost it on my own (yes, no surgery!!!) got asked if I lost it by choice or illness (ehm, I guess that's maybe something in their personal experience - maybe they complimented someone on losing weight and they were ill?) and generally people telling me "oh don't lose anymore weight you look perfect like this". Ehm... I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much. I will never look anorexic though, I think the last time I looked really skinny is before I started menstruating age 12-13, after that I have been curvy no matter what size.
  • cyndican
    cyndican Posts: 14 Member
    noumena_ wrote: »
    Gotta love it when someone "woos" everything but they have nothing helpful to add.

To be fair, for the first week I was on forums I thought woo was like "wooo/hooray/yay" <3
    i think woo is like great job! good going! & sexy!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    I think I may have “wooed” a couple of people because of where the woo is on my phone. I suddenly realized that my thumb hovers over it while I’m scrolling. So perhaps other people are having the same problem... Anyway I’m sorry you had to put up with such rudeness, I think some people don’t have any filter.

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "woo" mean?

Woo basically means nonsense, generally of the woo woo as seen on tv infomercial variety, Also found from Dr Oz and others.

Stuff like take this pill and eat whatever you want and you'll lose 30 lbs in 30 days with no side effects.

Obviously it's usually a bit more subtle.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited June 2018
    To be fair, for the first week I was on forums I thought woo was like "wooo/hooray/yay" <3

That's because (1) the word "woo" is ambiguous and (2) the folks who set up the site in their wisdom decided to put Woo in between Like and Hug, which implies it's in the same category. But MFP doesn't seem interested in changing it. For the correct definition of woo as used here on MFP, see:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo

It's best to just ignore the number of Woos you're getting, since you have no way of determining what the person clicking Woo meant by it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    vingogly wrote: »

That's because (1) the word "woo" is ambiguous and (2) the folks who set up the site in their wisdom decided to put Woo in between Like and Hug, which implies it's in the same category. But MFP doesn't seem interested in changing it. For the correct definition of woo as used here on MFP, see:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo

It's best to just ignore the number of Woos you're getting, since you have no way of determining what the person clicking Woo meant by it.

Also note that the icon used is rolled eyes and the abbreviation is WTF.

Others that aren't exactly as they appear!
    Hug=Awesome
    inspiring=agree
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Redirect "shouldn't you be more worried that you're walking around with your fly unzipped?" Then when he looks just walk off.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    This is part of it really, some people think it's okay to comment. It passes after a couple of years. I've made similar threads about comments.

-Heads to big for your body now
    -You're to skinny
    -Nice muffin top with vascular arms (it's loose skin, like *kitten* off)

I still get stared at in the change rooms walking to the showers cause of the lose skin, I'd like to say it doesn't bother me but it does. Sometimes I want to ask them if they want to take a picture, but I don't. Rise above or tell people to *kitten* off too.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    That is horrible. Well done on such a difficult transformation! A 65 pound loss, that is extremely impressive!!! Way to go!! :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    cyndican wrote: »
    Gotta love it when someone "woos" everything but they have nothing helpful to add.

i think woo is like great job! good going! & sexy!

Nope, for MFP standards is the opposite. So just use it if you don't like the comment, or don't use it at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

A lot of people think it means "woohoo"
  • Paleo_Babe
    Paleo_Babe Posts: 26 Member

Omg, what does it mean??? lol Isn't it a "horray" ?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Paleo_Babe wrote: »

Omg, what does it mean??? lol Isn't it a "horray" ?

Essentially it means pseudo scientific nonsense.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Candyspun wrote: »
    I find it annoying when ANYONE who is a total stranger comments on anything that anyone else does! My husband bought some steak one time - the woman behind us said "all that red meat is going to KILL YOU, you know." WTF? One time I was behind a quite-pregnant woman in line at the grocery store and the *cashier* was the one giving her *kitten*. "Where's your husband? Wait WHAT? You're driving?! OMG you're doing it wrong and I can't believe you're so irresponsible and why don't you care about your baby?"

I seriously don't understand what people think gives them the right to comment on anything about a complete stranger.

Friends, family - that could be annoying but it seems different.

This. SO this. I've made it a rule of thumb not to make comments to people that are none of my business about their lives.

An example: someone prominent in our small town (and I used to see and talk to her often) lost a lot of weight, and the difference made her look like a whole new person. I was unsure of what to say: if she'd lost the weight deliberately, I wanted to congratulate her. But, also, it's been my experience that sometimes people drop a lot of weight because they've been sick, and I thought, if she has a serious illness, it could be really hurtful to say she looks great. I thought, I could ask her if she was trying to lose weight, but then realised it was none of my business to ask such a personal question. I thought, I could mention, 'you've lost a lot of weight', see what she says, and if I found out it was deliberate, then I could congratulate her. But then I realised, who the hell am I to comment on her weight? That's none of my business to comment on someone's appearance, and I'm sure she was well aware that she had lost weight.

I ended up seeing her on my walks. I STILL refused to ask her about her weight, or comment on it. But I did say hello and it's a lovely day to be walking.

An acquaintance who doesn't like this woman very much brought up her weight to me. In a cranky tone, she stated, 'and I'm sorry, but I think she looked better before!' So I told her it was not her body or her choice.

I've since found out this woman who lost all the weight has cancer. I don't know if the cancer caused the weight loss, or whether she intentionally lost weight before she found out, but you know what? None of that is ANY of my business, and I'm SO glad I never took it upon myself to say anything, despite my wanting to congratulate her if it was intentional. My need to give her positive feedback was not the most important thing.

We need to tread carefully. OP, one day, that guy is really going to put his foot in it and learn his lesson.

In this situation I find the good old faithful "you look really nice/pretty/handsome/etc today" works nicely. It gets your point across (a general compliment) without pointing out anything specific.

And someone who is sick won't generally be offended to be told they look pretty or really nice today even if sick. We all want to look and feel beautiful.

Just refrain from the facial smirk and eyebrow waggle while giving the compliment and you shouldn't come off as a creepy weirdo. Hah!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!