What's with the diet shaming?

Options

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I tell people I ate an egg salad sandwich out of a vending machine in a bathroom in an interstellar truck stop. Usually short circuits the conversation.

Did you contract space worms that jazzercized your muscles from the inside?

I play the holophoner now too.

:D
  • kittyluvduck
    kittyluvduck Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tell people I ate an egg salad sandwich out of a vending machine in a bathroom in an interstellar truck stop. Usually short circuits the conversation. [/quote

Did it help you to play the holophonor?
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    LOL I hear what you're saying. Lucky for me my husband is my champion and anytime someone comments about my weight or nutrition he chimes in and will say "Are you kidding me? she eats more than you and I both!" haha! In my case, I am a master licensed nutritionist, actual college and not an on-line course. I always have people first telling me what should be done, and what THEY do... and then I get the questions and some even fishing for free information or whatever. I'll never forget the "carb" conversation with a family member:
    Her: "I am giving up carbs!"
    Me: "Why?"
    Her: "Because I need to lose weight I am tired of being fat"
    Me: "Ok but carbs don't make you fat, too many calories do"
    Her: "Oh ok, so I should eat only good carbs"
    Me: "No, you should eat whatever kind of carbs you want but you would weigh, measure and log them"
    Her: "Oh, but I don't eat a lot"
    Me: "How do you know?"
    Her: "I don't know"
    Me: "Start tracking your calories to see how much you're consuming"
    Her: "Ok, and I should give up carbs because they make you fat right"

Ugh... you get the idea....

If carbs was a person, I'd pity on that person, it gets all the blame, it's not even funny. I don't know how it got to the point where a single macro gets all the bad reputation.

I think carbs are the younger sibling to sodium. They have such bad reputations, but unless you have a medical reason, there's nothing wrong with either. Also, I live in the West Texas desert (current temp at my house 101° in the shade) I drink 2-3 gallons of water a day because of the heat, I need to up my salt intake or I can get really sick.

I wonder if it has something to do with all the footballers in the 80's (at least here in Australia) talking about carbon loading the night before a match, then getting fat in retirement. I know as a kid before athletics, cross country or race walking days (so Friday or Saturday dinners) Dad always cooked us a big plate of spaghetti. We needed it as goodness knew what we would eat the next day. Of course now I need to eat more carbs due to the nature of my job, but my sister is most likely trying not to have so many.
  • rgg71
    rgg71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading the posts above, I generally find most people demonise fat over carbs, and the shops are full of 'low fat' options.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rgg71 wrote: »
    Interesting reading the posts above, I generally find most people demonise fat over carbs, and the shops are full of 'low fat' options.

Where do you live? Here in the US, low carbohydrate has been the preferred diet method since the Atkins craze of the late 1990s. In fact, ketogenic diets (which are prioritize fat) are probably the trendiest thing in the fitness community right now.