Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

167891012»

Replies

• Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    edited June 2018
    Don't you guys wish our bodies hat some sort of biological mechanism that excreted a pH neutral liquid into our mouths continuously which would neutralize any remains of acidic substances instead of having our teeth soak in it forever?

Yeah it’s called saliva
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Ok, it looks like we have the "back up your point" idea well covered. Can we move forward from here now, back to something or another to do with coffee and sodas.

Don't forget to be polite and respectful to one another please.

4legs
    MFP moderator
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    Ok, it looks like we have the "back up your point" idea well covered. Can we move forward from here now, back to something or another to do with coffee and sodas.

Don't forget to be polite and respectful to one another please.

4legs
    MFP moderator

Why re-open this? I doubt it will go much better the 2nd time around.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited June 2018
    My advice is to give up diet coke as it is unhealthy even if it is 0 calories. And keep coffee but with a change: learn to like black coffee (nothing added). If you slowly over time cut it down and make good quality coffee (not folgers) you can learn to love the taste of black coffee! I limit my diet pops a lot, on occasion I may have one but that is where it stops at one. I dont keep any in the house and if I do go get one its just one serving not a case or 2 liter.

If your goal is weight loss limit your liquid calories which also includes juice! Most Juice is just pop without the fizz. If you want orange juice, eat an orange is what I always say.

Hope this helps, and dont forget its not off limits forever, just limit yourself. Maybe if you a great week Mon-Friday and on saturday you want a mochachochalala coffee drink, get one but have limits and make it a rare treat.

And why is Diet Coke unhealthy?

Here's an interesting take on the subject by way of a clinical trial posted at the NIH.
    It's interesting to ask why this is the case, that is: diet beverages in relation to discretionary food choices.

I won't lie, an ice cold Diet Coke on a hot day tastes great to me. I suppose, like so many things in life, moderation is the key.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24432876
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    I used to be a heavy diet soda drinker for many years, after a kidney stone and just general ongoing malaise I decided to reduce my diet soda intake and drink more water. I think I am sensitive to Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners because I get blinding headaches and weight plateaus when I have had to much of them. This is purely anecdotal and I think some people can tolerate artificial sweeteners more than others. That being said I've always had tea without sweetener and for the past year I've either had my coffee black or with half and half depending on how good the coffee is. I will still have a diet soda without Aspartame once in a great while but I stay away from them just because I just generally feel better not drinking them. I think its a personal choice but it's worth making a change if you have some type of sensitivity in regards to artificial sweeteners. These days my palate has changed so much that most diet sodas are way to sweet and I just don't like them. Cutting that "sweet fix" out of my diet helps me control the sweet/salty snacking mindless eating balancing act that was my routine for many years. If I want something with carbonation I add a little lemon or lime juice to some carbonated water. My go to bar drink is the same thing with some vodka thrown in but that is a rare treat.