JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 Your daughter did a great job and you look great! I love being able to put a face to the names on here and really enjoy the pics you post. Good luck with the new job prospect. Sounds exciting!! Congrats on your walk/run progress. Nice job!

@AJB1014 You have so much going on! Sounds like you had a great couple of days though. I hope your DH enjoys his birthday. Love the 365 days of Happy gift. I know you've explained it but I totally forgot if it is things you love about him or being married to him that you write? You make 365 of them and put them in a box for him to pick one each day? Is that how it works? That is the gift that just keeps giving all year...what a cool idea. Have fun today!

@cschmitz110515 I cannot believe you walked almost 4 miles this morning! I seriously turn into a slug in weather like this. I could never live in the south...I'd never leave my house! LOL! :mrgreen: (I know...I'm pathetic!) I have a very quiet office today too. I'm so happy about it, I could get up and dance (if I thought nobody'd see me...) I am so far behind in emails, it's crazy. I'm hoping to get caught up on those and get caught up on my groups/threads on MFP too! Great minds...
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    JFY (Wednesday, 7/4/18)
    1) Log all my food :)
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories :)
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake :/
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke :)
    5) Go to the gym :)
    6) Laundry :)

JFT (Thursday, 7/5/18)
    1) Log all my food
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke
    5) Go to the gym
    6) Complete 3 orders from my shop
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Just for Wednesday - July 4
    1. Log every bite and stay in the GREEN. :star:
    2. Study for Epic IP Proc Orders certification exam. :star:
    3. Study for Epic IP Clinical Documentation certification exam. :naughty: Ran out of time. Studied all day until 9 pm and only got through one manual. There are three >800 page manuals for the two exams.
    4. Work on July budget :naughty: Moving to today. Spent day studying.
    5. Pay beginning of month's bills :star: Started...
    6. Pack tomorrow's lunchbox, and pick out tomorrow's clothes . :star:
    7. Finish quilt top by adding finishing the last row. :wink: Didn't finish, but got all strips cut and ready to go
    8. Pin quilt so I can bring to work and pick out thread for the quilting on top. :p See #7
    9. Address each one: Body, Mind & Spirit :naughty::star::star:
    13. Gratitude journal (5 things I'm grateful for today), read Simple Abundance book, unplug by 9:00 p.m. :star::star::naughty:

Well, I studied my butt off last night (not literally...trust me, most of it is still there...spreading wider as I type) and then ended up having to reschedule the exams anyway! Part of me is very frustrated because I spent the whole 4th of July holiday studying and feeling really anxious and stressed, instead of spending time with family. But the other part of me is happy that I at least got through one of the manuals and have two more weeks to study now. It is what it is, I guess!

Today my focus HAS to be on drinking more water! I have been slacking the last two days on this and my fingers are swollen like little sausages today and my feet are swollen too. I downloaded an app on my phone that goes off every 30 minutes to remind me to Stand Up, so I am going to use that reminder to move every 30 minutes and drink every hour. I set the notification to sound like loons on a lake, so it's quiet and pleasant and won't disrupt my colleagues, although only a few of us are here today.

Just for Today / July 5:
    1. log every bite & stick to packed lunch and snacks today
    2. Drink eight 8 oz glasses of water, at the very least!
    3. Get up and move every 30 minutes when alarm sounds
    4. Remove self from negativity. No water cooler gossip. Just walk away. Do not engage, period.
    5. Perform one random act of kindness. Be the change I'd like to see in the world
    6. July budget / bills after work
    7. Pack tomorrow's lunchbox and set out clothes (Friday is jeans day, so this should be easy!)
    8. Take a real lunch hour today. Leave the building and run errands.
    9. Do something to refresh each: Body / Mind / Spirit
    10. Unplug 9 pm, journal 5 things I'm grateful for today, Simple Abundance's daily reading

July 1: Water :star: / Walk/Move :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 2: Water :star: / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :( [/quote]
    July 3: Water :( / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :( [/quote]
    July 4: Water :naughty: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star: [/quote]
    July 5: Water / Walk / Mindful Eating / Planning

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @slittlemeister, that is a really, really good list
    @jeschepp, the only way I have ever been able to stomach eggplant was when my college roommate's mother cooked it with lots of oil and indian spices. It's really the only food I just don't like!

Just For Today I will:

1. Log everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal.
    2. Do physical therapy morning and evening.
    3. Drink 80 oz of water (I've got 32 down, so I should HAVE this)
    4. Cook the chickpea curry I've put off for two days so I have dinner tonight and some freezer meals.
    5. Grocery shopping. I need almost nothing, but I've discovered I have a lot more success in the evenings if I have some fizzy water to sip on, so I'm picking up 20 liters of flavored sparkling water to get me through the next few weeks, plus a few odds and ends like celery and apples.
    6. Eat only when hungry. This saved me from a snack attack yesterday. I went to the gas station and really wanted potato chips, but when I asked myself if I was HUNGRY, the answer was "no."
    7. Try to resume weight training. Third time's the charm, I hope!
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 I see your point about your list being things you want to make habits out of. That being said, I’m going to work on my list !

@PackerFanInGB Here’s to eating more veggies ! And, to drinking more water. Hopefully your app helped you with that.

@nickssweetheart I tried frozen kale once. It was by mistake - I thought I had picked up frozen spinach. That’ll teach me to read the package instead of just looking at the picture. It was the first and last time I’ve had it - haha. So exciting that you’re starting a new job.

Well I ate the entire package of riced cauliflower and broccoli. It was only 80 calories and a surprising 8g of protein and 8g of fiber. I added some lite honey mustard to it. I’ve never had the fresh version of the riced veggies, so I have nothing to compare the frozen one to. But, on its own, I really liked it. I just think it needs an add in. I’m going to put a slice of cheese in with the cauliflower one I’m going to have at lunch today.

I’m going to be working on my JFT list today. I’ll post it later.

I love all of your lists ! Keep up the great work everyone :)
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    JFT - Friday July 6

Eat under 1300 calories
    Focus on protein today to feel more full
    Eat veggies
    Reach my 15k step goal
    Do elliptical, treadmill, or walking
    Do some form of strength training - even if only for 2 minutes
    Do some side stepping to work on ab/adductors
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water
    Read a chapter in a book
    Do something creative or artistic like maybe a pencil sketching
    Make sure bills are up to date
    Decide on weekend plans
    Look over your weight loss history to feel good about your weight loss, even though you’re at a current stand still because of monthly water retention.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,733 Member
    Options
    JFT - Thursday July 5
    2L of Water - :) Yes 2.75
    Stay in Green - :) Yes 300 Calories to spare
    Outside 15 Minutes - :)
    Write in Journal - :)
    Walk - :) Walked 5.62 at a 10:58 pace. It was 29 degrees last night so I didn't try running
    Read Policy Manual and make notes - :) Yes, I have a lot to do with this
    Sell this afternoon - :(

JFT - Friday July 6
    2L of Water
    Stay in Green by 150
    Outside 15 minutes
    Write in Journal
    Walk
    Work on Policy
    Sell

Had a good day again yesterday, hubby isn't so confident about my new opportunity but I feel this is a good decision. I guess time will tell.

OK, off to sell today, will be back later.
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    JFY (Thursday, 7/5/18)
    1) Log all my food :)
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories :)
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake :/
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke :)
    5) Go to the gym :)
    6) Complete 3 orders from my shop :)

JFT (Friday, 7/6/18)
    1) Log all my food
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke
    5) Go to the gym
    6) Complete 3 orders from my shop
    7) Complete Day 1 in my new Beck Diet Solutions workbook
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    JFT Thursday Recap
    1. Lots of water >:)
    2. Finish 365 Days of Happy! It doesnt have to be perfect - it's literally the thought that counts on this one. :)
    3. Meds AM and PM >:)
    4. Try magnesium lotion for cramps :)
    5. Reasonable lunch choices >:)
    6. Make birthday card for DH :)
    7. Be kind :)

@PackerFanInGB Thats exactly it! Thanks :) Good luck with your new app! Give us a review in a few days time

I'm on a roll right now - and usually this would be the beginning of the end for me. One bad day turns into 3 turns into a month turns into I DONT CARE. But I'm going with the flow here - ate out last night, woke up late this morning so had to rush to the mechanic as to not miss my appointment - skipped all my food prep and got a sausage egg and cheese that I used to eat almost every day that I had not eaten in months and months. But you know what - it's delicious and really nice to enjoy as a treat. And I know that if this continues (the excuses) - I'm the one who says STOP - not anybody else. I'm learning! But - by involving myself in this awesome community I've also added in a little accountability and it's making all the difference this time around to have that support - so thanks everyone! I've also learned that the weekends are harder for me than the weeks. And this is another busy one with LOTS of clean up and reorganizing things to get back in the swing of things. Gosh it's such a cycle - you eat good to feel good but then youre so tired of working so hard to eat good that you just want to eat whatever. Then you eat whatever and feel bad but your too tired to eat well because it's work! I guess I just needed to get that out of my system - it's that time of the month and Im really really tired. Also just remembered that my tracking has showed me that I am not only a carb monster this time of month but also a bottomless pit - eating at maintenance hardly keeps me satiated for a few days during so I need to take that into account as well - it's all feedback and information to learn from. I know I wont feel this way forever and I will get back to the swing of things. So just for today! I too, need to focus on lots of water today. Between the breakfast sandwhich, the chinese food, and the holiday hot dogs I am heavily salted.

JFT Friday
    1. Drink 3 waters before noon - start now - then drink another 3 before leaving
    2. Be kind - a positive attitude and present in the now
    3. Log all food
    4. Stay around maintenance for today - since my breakfast sandwich was almost half my daily calories I KNOW I'll be hungry and grumpy if I try to eat at a deficit today.
    5. Do some squaring off around the house so things are more pleasant to look at while they are in piles waiting to be cleaned this weekend lol
    6. Dont worry. Be happy

• cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Almost caught up with JFT ~ only about 15 pages left to go. ;) I love how this thread is so welcoming, encouraging, and yes, fun! We really are a band of friends, and the more the merrier! So many great ideas & posts I'd like to reply to, maybe later...

Recap 7/5 R ~ ANOTHER hot & humid day ~ 73 and very humid at 5:45 a.m.
    1) Walked dog before work / 3.26 mi 57:20 / stretched after = happy & panting dog B) & happy, dripping me :sweat_smile:
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks at work = Fitbit 13,741 steps, 250+ steps 14/14 (boom!) & 38 floors :smiley:
    3) Net calories green / monitor usual = Ack, ack, ack!!! >:) Did ok until another evening snack attack of dry roasted peanuts directly from the jar! One portion would've been enough. I know better than this, again I think overtired got me when I was feeling a bit hungry. That, and recent lack of meal planning ~ which I hate to do when the weather is so suffocating. Next time I feel the peanut snack need, I will measure out one portion on my little scale and eat only that portion.
    4) Boil eggs :smiley: / wash dishes :/ nope but I did wash up a few before work on F a.m. / keep on to-do list = only one but a biggie ~ mileage reimbursement check from work finally arrived, so took care of multiple banking tasks :smiley:
    5) Unplug 9:00 :neutral: late diary close on MFP ~ yes, I logged (guessed) those darn peanuts / floss :smiley: after the peanut fiasco, I had to redeem myself somehow / retainers :smiley: / bed & TV off 10:15 :neutral: in bed on time, just fell asleep w/ TV on again :s need to stop this habit (walk dog F before work)

JFT 7/6/F ~ heat & humidity finally broke late yesterday, AC off & windows once again open ~ gorgeous morning!
    1) Walked dog before work / 3.65 mi 1:00:54 / saw crane flying low overhead in beautiful blue sky / stretched after = happy dog B) & happy me B)
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks at work
    3) Net calories green / know I can do this!
    4) Evening: make cucumber salad, couscous salad & rhubarb crisp for Sat. party / wash rest of dishes
    5) Unplug 9:30 / floss / retainers / bed & TV off 10:30

Sat. we are heading to BIL's house for family party, with total drive-time 1.5 hours, so will be sedentary day. My plan is hit the farmers market early & walk dog before leaving. With party being potluck, I will choose carefully and focus on portion control and staying hydrated (with water) ~ no alcohol at party so no temptations there.

Have a great day everyone!
  • ready2change18
    ready2change18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Second attempt here on this feed. So to make sure I'm following this correctly, it's as simple as posting what our daily goals are.? Do we post at the end of the day to say weather or not we completed all of them or not? 😃😊
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Hi @ready2change18 - Yep, simple as that! Most people usually follow up the next day on how they did on their goals. But you can do whatever works best for you! Welcome :)
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    June Goals / Results: a little late, but finally....
    • Walk 6/9/18 Bellin Run 10K in < 1:30 (heat & humidity please stay away) = Weather was nearly ideal. Finished 81 of 206 F60-64 / 3,350 of 5,298 females / 6,670 of 9,353 overall. My goal was < 1:30 and my official time was 1:28:12. :star: Split time 45:03 (2nd half I was faster than 1st 5K ~ very typical for me) and ave. pace 14:12. :star:
    • Walk dog 4-5x per week = Not counting vacation week, walked dog 5x each week B) & very happy dog ~ total 76.21 miles on MapMyWalk for month + didn't use app every hike on vacation :D
    • Workplace step challenge (4/16 - 8/31) / stay w/i top 30 women to win a prize at halfway point 3rd week in June ~ includes vacation week :# = Placed 23 of 30 top women and 26th overall :smiley: ~ won $20 gift certificate to employer's fitness center (not much available to buy, so guess I'll get a shirt or some new water bottles)
    • Cross-train: weight machine & circuit train (home versions) at least 4-6x in June = Took advantage of good weather and walked dog instead + took my rest days = only one time x-trained :/ , but swam on vacation / first time in several years / nice to be in pool again :smile:
    • Log food & beverages every day except: GDO 6/1, family combo bday party 6/16, and 4 vacation days out of town ~ net calories green on workout days = Decided on vacation to completely log off MFP, and I continued that until I returned to work, so did not log for 7 vacation days. Not going to match up workout days with net calories, but at least I was mindful. :neutral:
    • Take measurements 6/30 Sat. a.m. & log on MFP = Done ~ not changed but I'm fit & feeling good plus wearing smaller clothes. :D
    • No scale goal this month ~ maintenance is good for now = Gained 3-4 lbs. on vacation & ok with this. :# Since vacation gained 1-2 lbs. more ~ not ok with this. :(

I know everyone is posting their six month goals, but I've been doing monthly goals for a year now, so I'll stick with that. Plus I joined a group of MFP friends to reach goal weight by 12/31/18.

July Goals:
    • Walk 7/21/18 Packers 5K in < 45:00
    • Walk dog 5-6x per week + take advantage of summer!
    • Cross-train: weight machine & home versions of circuit training when weather does not permit walks.
    • Rest days: at least one per week ~ need to let the body recover + it's nice to sleep in.
    • Log food & beverages every day except: 7/7 BIL family party (potluck), 7/21 middle brother's annual summer party (potluck this year), & 7/30 BFF's bday drinks & dinner (or whatever night we decide) ~ on logging days, net calories green or w/i 100.
    • Take measurements 7/31 a.m. before work T & log on MFP
    • Scale goal: lose those vacation & post-vacation pounds
    Weight loss is not linear ~ at least not for me. The scale is a tool with data. Focus on the process, not the outcome.
  • monstersweetsbyallison
    Options
    JFT July 5th
    Stay in the green!!! :)
    Go to dance class :(
    Go for a run :)
    Practice mindful eating! :)
    Meal plan all 3 meals & snacks! :)
    Water✔/walk✔/mindful eating✔/meal plan✔
    Pick up prescription :)
    Return library books :) & checkout beck diet solution :(
    Pick up grandpas' flags :)

@Snowflake1968 I went to my local library to return my books and they didn't have the beck diet solution. But they can order it for me from another local library so I will go back tomorrow and do that (they're closed today otherwise I'd do it today). Will let you know how it goes ;)

July 6 JFT
    Stay in the green
    Go to dance class
    Go for a run
    Water/walk/mindful eating/meal planning
    Fill out paperwork for my baby's insurance
    Go grocery shopping