July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    July goals 60 miles. Work up to 5 minutes of running. Bike often. Rehab smart.

1---5.52 mtn bike
    2---2.09 run 3(4,4)
    3---5.58 mtn bike
    4---3.33 mile run 5(4,4)
    4---2.43 road bike
    5---3.42 run 7(3,3)
    6---9.04 mtn bike
    7---6.33 5(4-2,3-2,2-2)
    A bit cooler, 85F. Good run felt like something finally clicked.

MILES
    Running 15.2
    Cycling/MTN bike 22.6

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Just time for a quickie this morning as I woke up late. 2.5 miles. But I met my goal for the week of doing some running every day this week!

Weather is nice again today. May have a walk later.

Your version of a quickie is different to mine... Yay for meeting goal this week!

:grin:

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    A bit cooler, 85F. Good run felt like something finally clicked.

That's awesome! Usually when something clicks on my runs it is an injury ;)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    July Goals: 200 running miles.

July Running:
    07.02.18 - 07.08.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.09.18 - 07.15.19: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.16.18 - 07.22.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.23.18 - 07.29.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL

Goals 07.02.18 - 07.08.18:
    Run: 6 Days, plus a LR of 15 on Wknd.

Base 1 : Week 1 of 4
    07.02.18 - 9.3 m.
    07.03.18 - 9.7 m.
    07.04.18 - 5.2 m.
    07.05.18 - 5.7 m.
    07.07.18 - 9.2 m. & Bike 85 Min.

Upcoming Events:
    08.25.18 - Tour de Donut Bike Ride

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ...it was glorious until I decided to do my best imitation of a movie stunt-woman. I kicked a root and lost my balance. I'm sure you could have seen "oh no...I'm falling...can I catch myself?...why, no...I'm goin' down...hmm, don't want to break my teeth...shoulder roll, shoulder roll!..." across my face as I fell. At least, I'm pretty sure that was my thought process, although it might just have been, "oh, *kitten*!". Not sure. Anyway, a nice lady saw me fall, didn't laugh at me, and helped me up. And then we both kept running. I'm a little bruised and battered, but my teeth and glasses are intact so it's all good.

@5BeautifulDays LOL That's a very well-written description of a millisecond of clever reaction time. :smiley:
    Hope the bruises don't hurt too much.

MobyCarp wrote: »
    Another point of anecdata for you

@MobyCarp How have I not heard that term before? Love it. :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    ...it was glorious until I decided to do my best imitation of a movie stunt-woman. I kicked a root and lost my balance. I'm sure you could have seen "oh no...I'm falling...can I catch myself?...why, no...I'm goin' down...hmm, don't want to break my teeth...shoulder roll, shoulder roll!..." across my face as I fell. At least, I'm pretty sure that was my thought process, although it might just have been, "oh, *kitten*!". Not sure. Anyway, a nice lady saw me fall, didn't laugh at me, and helped me up. And then we both kept running. I'm a little bruised and battered, but my teeth and glasses are intact so it's all good.

@5BeautifulDays LOL That's a very well-written description of a millisecond of clever reaction time. :smiley:
    Hope the bruises don't hurt too much.

It really is amazing how much time seems to pass in that millisecond too! Almost feels like you are in a movie and stopped to do an aside in the middle of a fight or something.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    But the trail bits are bouncy.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @Orphia I am just north of 53°N. @juliet3455 is even further to the north than I am!
    Wow, you are way up there! I am only at 40N. Sunset is 8:53 pm and sunrise is 5:57 am.

I'm at 37.7° S.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @Orphia I am just north of 53°N. @juliet3455 is even further to the north than I am!

Wow, you are way up there! I am only at 40N. Sunset is 8:53 pm and sunrise is 5:57 am.

@PastorVincent @Orphia Yes my little community is North of 56.
    PastorVincent Like you Tailwind does not agree with me. Might have to try a differant flavor in case it's just a reaction to something in the flavoring.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    When Asics discontinued the 33-M, I tried Mizuno Wave Riders as my walking shoes. Felt great, but I got ankle twinges before the tread wore out, using them only for walking.

@MobyCarp I use the Saucony Guide and Mizuno Wave Inspire for running and have never had an issue with them giving me twinges unless they are worn out - my last Inspire pair was at 700km with tread left and not giving me any pains when I decided to retire them for the safety of my body. I did have a pair of Saucony Peregrine 4 Trail shoes that quite literally fell apart while out running - Heel Cup broke - made for a slow uncomfortable stumble home, the good part with my Strava data ( ~90km ) Saucony gave me a store credit for full value. The bad part the 4 was a better shoe than the 7 or 8. Ultimately I don't care if a shoe wears out a little early as long as my Toenails are Happy and the rest of the body is not crying in pain.
    Having terrible shin splints and I’m hoping they get better, but I’m glad I haven’t given up yet!

For me, shin splints is a sign my shoes are wearing out and need replacing - or that I'm wearing the wrong shoes.
    @Arieslife88 I agree with ^^. If you have another pair of shoes - differant brand preferably take them out for a spin. When I experienced shin splint type symptoms with some new shoes I took a hard look at them and their specs and realized they only had 3mm drop and I was used to 8mm. They are still in my rotation but only for short easy runs 5km and less.

@Orphia What App do you use for timing the ParkRuns?

It has been pouring rain all day so am just now getting ready to go out for a run.