Vegetarian KETO weight loss stall HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Are you weighing your portions with a food scale?
    Yes I am

It looks like you're logging things like "1/2 avocado" and butter by the tablespoon. Are these foods being weighed too?

I am weighing everything - the exception is the avocado- I can start weighing that . I do measure olive oil/ butter using tbsp or tsp

Yeah, I still think six days is too early to worry, but since you already have a scale it is a good idea to weigh calorie-dense foods like avocado and butter. I've found that avocados vary quite a bit in weight and "1/2 avocado" isn't a very useful measurement.

Thanks for sharing , I will sit tight and see what happens ...
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's normal to see a quick and pretty big water weight drop at first on keto. It's also common after a larger water weight drop to have the scale level out for a bit as things re-adjust.

After the gratifying scale drop up front due to water weight adjustment, there's nothing special about keto weight loss. If you're burning more calories than you're eating (whether you're counting calories or not), you'll lose stored body fat . . . usually pretty slowly.

It's possible that you're actually in a calorie deficit and losing stored fat, but the weight loss is masked on the scale by water weight, either from general post-initial-drop re-adjustment, a new exercise program (muscle repair), time of month (could be anytime in the cycle), inflammation from some kind of healing (sunburn, minor infection, etc.), salt/sodium consumption, or various other reasons.

That's why you need 4-6 weeks on a new regimen to see what your true average results are.

On the other hand, after that initial water weight drop, you're subject to the problems that can affect anyone: Logging eating too loosely so lowballing the numbers, over-estimating exercise calories, etc. If you're not weighing calorie-dense things like avocados, oils, and butter, you could be way off there. Spoons are less accurate, more time-consuming, and create extra dishes to wash, so weighing those foods instead would be an all-round plus.

It's not the protein: Extra protein won't make you gain weight, if your calories are correct. (If it did, I'd still be a fat vegetarian: Now in maintenance, I get 100g+ most days, and tended to be around 80g while losing.)

Since you eat fish, I'd call that technically pescatarian rather than vegetarian, so that should give you more options. The meals you mention seem like fine things to eat, if they're hitting the right calorie level and contribute to good overall balanced nutrition.

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 44 years, but - with apologies - can't help with other meal ideas. I'm eating 200g+ carbs most days in maintenance, just as I did while losing, and rely heavily on legumes and dairy that has (inherent, not added) sugars - things like plain Greek yogurt and skimmed milk. Vegetarianism and keto are each slightly harder to manage than balanced-nutrition omnivorous eating, and there's no weight loss advantage to either, so I personally can't imagine combining them, but if those are your goals, I certainly support you in them.

Best wishes!
    Thanks Anne ! Very insightful as always 😁 you rock
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You've been given sound advice, IMO. If you are accurately measuring your food and logging, you are probably losing fat which is masked by water weight.

I found the scale can go up or down a few pounds every day, and I do get times where the scale seems to sit steady for longer than I'd like, but as long as you eat at a deficit, the scale will move down again.

Did you take starting measurements or pictures? Sometimes that shows what is happening much better than the scale does.

Best wishes.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why do you feel keto is a good fit for you? Do you have a medical reason to restrict carbs?

If weight loss is your goal - that comes from a calorie deficit. You can achieve that eating keto, low carb, vegetarian, paleo, high carb, etc. it’s the calories that determine weight loss, not the carbs or protein.

I do better on something strict as I have yo yoed my entire life. I seem to have control in a strict environment and not much control if I'm just trying to watch my weight.
    Its not that I think Keto is better than any other diet, I just thought I would try it, given the publicity , (as I gain weight very easily and it seems people are having a lot of success.)
    I ate vegan for four months and then vegetarian for a few, now I am pescatarian. I didn't lose weight eating like that, I love carbs to a fault.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    Today I am down .8lb ... I made sure I didnt go over my protein limit. Tomorrow I will begin to use the weigh scale for butter and cocounut oil etc... I had no idea that measuring spoons werent accurate enough.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You've been given sound advice, IMO. If you are accurately measuring your food and logging, you are probably losing fat which is masked by water weight.

I found the scale can go up or down a few pounds every day, and I do get times where the scale seems to sit steady for longer than I'd like, but as long as you eat at a deficit, the scale will move down again.

Did you take starting measurements or pictures? Sometimes that shows what is happening much better than the scale does.

Best wishes.

If I lose inches I will be very happy - definitely more important than the weigh scale, however, seeing the pounds come off, is always really encouraging in the beginning. I did take pictures, and I did measure my waist, which is the most important area where I need to lose it :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I think avoiding strict diets, at least those perceived as strict, is not a good idea for everyone. Sometimes eating the "right" foods us exactly what makes weight loss or better health achievable.

I eat rice cakes or noodles in moderation I crave more and calorie moderation goes out the window. I limit carbs and avoid certain foods and calorie moderation becomes easy.

A strict diet does not equal an eventual binge and loss of control for everyone.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think avoiding strict diets, at least those perceived as strict, is not a good idea for everyone. Sometimes eating the "right" foods us exactly what makes weight loss or better health achievable.

I eat rice cakes or noodles in moderation I crave more and calorie moderation goes out the window. I limit carbs and avoid certain foods and calorie moderation becomes easy.

A strict diet does not equal an eventual binge and loss of control for everyone.
    I think you may have misunderstood me, but you're actually pointing at something very important - what feels strict, is individual and subjective, what we call things, can be a little different, and what is right for one person can be totally wrong for another. We all need reasonable boundaries, but exactly what is reasonable, is personal and situational. That's why it's so important to attack this at both sides simultaneously - knowing the universal principles, and your own preferences, and understanding what's what.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I think you may have misunderstood me, but you're actually pointing at something very important - what feels strict, is individual and subjective, what we call things, can be a little different, and what is right for one person can be totally wrong for another. We all need reasonable boundaries, but exactly what is reasonable, is personal and situational. That's why it's so important to attack this at both sides simultaneously - knowing the universal principles, and your own preferences, and understanding what's what.

I apologize if I misunderstood.

It is good there are so many options out there. Being aware of them makes it more likely that one will find what works best for them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I apologize if I misunderstood.

It is good there are so many options out there. Being aware of them makes it more likely that one will find what works best for them.
    No worries. I need to work on being clear to others, not just to myself :D
    I think many options is a blessing and a curse at the same time. When there are too many, its harder to choose. Being aware of the process behind something, is even more important when there are so many different, seemingly contradictory advice for achieving the same result.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone . I know I need to find something that works ... currently I feel satiated in keto and the only thing I miss is wine ! Once I achieve the loss I am looking for, I will slowly return to a regular caloric intake and limiting carbs but not as extremely, as I continue to exercise .
    I definitely need to adhere to ‘everything in moderation.’ I seem to have little control when I get my hands on sugar, it’s just easier to avoid it entirely right now.
    Thankfully I only felt withdrawal symptoms during the first week of keto.

I will however, look forward to eating more greens. I don’t think veggies should be limited - unless one is consuming corn potatoes or peas .