July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    What, if any, running apps do people on here use? I use Strava and Nike+. Good luck everyone!!!!

Umm, my Garmin watch updates the Garmin site and then the Garmin site pushes out to Strava, MFP, and Runkeeper.

Strava - I use to keep in touch with this group here (we have a Strava group)
    MFP - Cause I am trying to NOT refind all the weight I lost... again.
    Runkeeper - because that is what I used long before I had a Garmin so it has historical data going back a long time.

Notably, I do not actually use the Garmin software at all :)

I love my Garmin metrics. They're not perfect, but i do love having them. Strava is my formal running social club. MFP social hour with the natives.

My Garmin pushes to Strava and MFP. I completely ignore mfp with exercise. Its just calorie counting.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 25 because I don't need any other information beyond time and distance and I exclusively use Garmin Connect to keep all my run info. I have all my runs stored there. I tried Strava twice but it drove me nuts...lol... I think I lasted three days the last time I tried it. Like someone said before, you just gotta go with what you like.

ETA I also use Athlinks...
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @ariceroni! I was wondering where you have been. Looks like you've been busy...logging over 100 miles already this month.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm praying for the best resolution for your girl's medical stuff. I hope she can take the time she needs to heal and that the coaches will be supportive and encouraging for her to do the right thing for her body.

There were a whole bunch of other things I wanted to respond to...and they're gone now. Apparently I need an afternoon coffee!

Today I went outside intending to run 3-4 miles, but it was *horrible*. Not so horrible that I probably won't do it again tomorrow, but pretty sucky. I only made it about 2.25 miles before I walked home. I stood there and dripped sweat for about half an hour after...gross. I did wear my new gypsy runner shorts. They are awesome! I got the 9 inch and I think I might try the 7 inch. The pockets are the bomb!

So I have a question about the garmin thing. I like map my run and MFP. I don't need loads of data, just time and distance and occasionally I am amused by splits and elevation. I normally use my phone for tracking, but my phone is bulky (hence the need for pockets) and gets warm. I like the idea of a wearable device, but I don't know if its worth the investment. I don't wear a watch when I'm not running. Any throughts?

exercise.png

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I have the same problem with my TomTom. Although my pace tends to be even slower so I end up shouting at it 'well if I could RUN 30 seconds a miles faster I WOULD'!!!

Regarding syncing - I have a fitbit I wear daily which does steps, and a Tom Tom which does my runs (but when will it ever die and I can replace it with a Garmin?,). I sync the TomTom to Strava, and the Fitbit to MFP otherwise I found I was double counting.

@5BeautifulDays I'd suggest one of the entry Garmin's. I too want only a watch to record exercise rather than wear daily (I bought the Fitbit for heart rate tracking, but won't replace it ( or maybe with a pretty timepiece for wearing out).

Still no running, I didn't leave work until still late. But I've packed my emergency run from work bag already for next time!!!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »

This morning I saw a male cardinal in all his beauty and I raced a squirrel! It kept running back and forth with me.

Love when that happens. The best is when the birds do it. They hop along for a bit then give up and take wing. Once they do that they crush me. heh.

I compete with lizards. And lately cockroaches. Gotta love monsoon season! I'm the weirdo that if I see a roach inside, kill it! Outisde? OH I better not step on this poor creature.

My paths are frequently crawling with snails and big fat slugs. Gross! I try to avoid stepping on them (snails crunch, but slugs are just slippery and one once got in between my toes and my flipflop in the yard, ewwwww). I'm fast enough that I don't need to race them, though ;)

@amymoreorless My "woo" is for TomTom, not you :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm praying for the best resolution for your girl's medical stuff. I hope she can take the time she needs to heal and that the coaches will be supportive and encouraging for her to do the right thing for her body.

There were a whole bunch of other things I wanted to respond to...and they're gone now. Apparently I need an afternoon coffee!

Today I went outside intending to run 3-4 miles, but it was *horrible*. Not so horrible that I probably won't do it again tomorrow, but pretty sucky. I only made it about 2.25 miles before I walked home. I stood there and dripped sweat for about half an hour after...gross. I did wear my new gypsy runner shorts. They are awesome! I got the 9 inch and I think I might try the 7 inch. The pockets are the bomb!

So I have a question about the garmin thing. I like map my run and MFP. I don't need loads of data, just time and distance and occasionally I am amused by splits and elevation. I normally use my phone for tracking, but my phone is bulky (hence the need for pockets) and gets warm. I like the idea of a wearable device, but I don't know if its worth the investment. I don't wear a watch when I'm not running. Any throughts?

exercise.png

I got my Apple Watch primarily to use as a fitness tracker and I love it. It’s got GPS, stores way more music than I need, and can make calls and texts, which I find very comforting. Running with a phone sounds like a pain, especially with how big most phones are these days - I think the wearables are definitely worth it if you’re running regularly. I’m afraid I haven’t used anything except the Apple Watch, but I think I’d be happy with anything that had those same functions.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @LaDispute57 @bullterrierfan I'm on athlinks too. Love stalking everyone's races!

ETA @LaDispute57 you weren't hard to find! :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @amymoreorless I have the same problem with my TomTom. Although my pace tends to be even slower so I end up shouting at it 'well if I could RUN 30 seconds a miles faster I WOULD'!!!

Regarding syncing - I have a fitbit I wear daily which does steps, and a Tom Tom which does my runs (but when will it ever die and I can replace it with a Garmin?,). I sync the TomTom to Strava, and the Fitbit to MFP otherwise I found I was double counting.

I'd suggest one of the entry Garmin's. I too want only a watch to record exercise rather than wear daily (I bought the Fitbit for heart rate tracking, but won't replace it ( or maybe with a pretty timepiece for wearing out).

Still no running, I didn't leave work until still late. But I've packed my emergency run from work bag already for next time!!!!

I wear my Garmin daily. Its nice to have the phone alerts that i constantly miss at work because its noisy. And since i wear it daily, i never get out for a run or bike and forget it or its near dead because the activity button some how got pushed then it searched for the gps all dang day, and have to use Strava that drains my phone battery after I've been on it all day at work, working. :blush:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq I'm considering building bat houses because our mosquitos are so bad.
    i like them. i think they are cute. i sorta think speed demon looks like a fox bat when she relaxes her ears

cockroaches can stay away
    7fpg45733dxz.png

and earwigs. *shiver*

Bats are the best! Of course, I might feel differently if I were in an area with a lot of rabies. We do have bat rabies here but it's extremely rare, and it's almost unheard of in other animals. Memphis seems to be protected by the river on one side and the mountains on the other, we just got lucky somehow when it comes to rabies.

At the Fourth of July fireworks (the big municipal ones where they accidentally dropped an unexploded cannister on the audience) we saw a very traumatized bat zip out of a tree! Poor bats! Everyone was discussing their dogs, but it seems wildlife doesn't like fireworks any better than domestic animals do.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2018
    Options
    10$ off Back Country if anyone is interested. I think its for a new accounts. So if you have one and want the 10 creat a new account or sign up your spouse. Thats what i do.... http://refer.backcountry.com/s/EliseH

@shanaber think it was you that recommend the Topo shoes. I ordered a pair. They are pink... Barf. But pink does goes well with mud. :wink:

Wait, or was it @lporter229 ?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    LOL... Yeah... You must have remembered one of my old incarnations from here. I got a little fed up with Athlinks... They don't have all my race results and don't even list some races that I enter. I think they have a crappy database. The website is real wonky to use too.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    So it really just furthered my belief that big dogs are better than little dogs.
    I agree, as I so frequently see big dogs laying there in their yards, and they give me this look, like "I can't even be bothered to get up right now, have a nice run." Meanwhile the little dogs are jumping all over themselves barking and coming after me. Fortunately most people here have fences.
    What, if any, running apps do people on here use? I use Strava and Nike+. Good luck everyone!!!!
    My watch uploads to the Suunto app, and from there goes to Strava (I like the stats there and partner apps, but don't use the friend aspects), and MFP to balance out the food logging and community aspects. I used to use another running app (RunMeter?) and loved it, but it wasn't compatible with any of the above so I only use it now if I need to check one of the routes I have programmed into it. I like being able to leave the phone behind for racing or if I don't want music/podcasts.

Totaled about 6.5k today running, plus swimming with the kids.

exercise.png

Upcoming races: (none!)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

I got my Apple Watch primarily to use as a fitness tracker and I love it. It’s got GPS, stores way more music than I need, and can make calls and texts, which I find very comforting. Running with a phone sounds like a pain, especially with how big most phones are these days - I think the wearables are definitely worth it if you’re running regularly. I’m afraid I haven’t used anything except the Apple Watch, but I think I’d be happy with anything that had those same functions.

I hadn't thought of an Apple Watch, but I know I could sync that up with my son's glucose monitor, and I already have like 5000 songs on iTunes...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    LOL... Yeah... You must have remembered one of my old incarnations from here. I got a little fed up with Athlinks... They don't have all my race results and don't even list some races that I enter. I think they have a crappy database. The website is real wonky to use too.

I wont advertise how i found you... :smiley: Aw that sucks. I havent had any problems yet. I think you can manually add races. Or tell them to go look for you at such event.

I complained to athlinks about an advertised race being short, and they got me a refund. So i love it haha!
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

exercise.png

I was a don't wear a watch girl until I got my Garmin.

I got the Forerunner 235 because it has a little more information than just time and distance, such as splits and elevation. Like what @Elise4270 said - I like it because I can get phone notifications when I am at work and since I am wearing it I can go out at anytime for a run or walk. The only thing I did wish it had was a swim feature - it only has run, run indoor, bike and other.

I still bring my phone with me for safety reasons and to listen to low volume music when I run.

ETA: I am glad you like your Gypsy Runner shorts!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

@5BeautifulDays I'd suggest one of the entry Garmin's. I too want only a watch to record exercise rather than wear daily (I bought the Fitbit for heart rate tracking, but won't replace it ( or maybe with a pretty timepiece for wearing out).

Yep, that's what I'd suggest too. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 25. It's not the prettiest watch out there, and there's no HR monitor. But for me it's perfect. It's got all the basic stuff I'm interest in - time, pace, distance, splits, elevation, cadence etc. And I like Garmin Connect where I can see the map of where I've run and all the other nerdy data things I like, such as tracking the mileage my shoes have put in, a calendar where I can put what workouts I've done, what races are coming up, and lots of other geeky things a numbers nerd like me can squee over.