20 lbs in 20 weeks!

Options
rainandfire1
rainandfire1 Posts: 9 Member
Hi guys!
I’m starting my weight loss journey here mid summer- not the typical time but there’s no reason to put off further what needs to be done! I figured it could be helpful to motivate each other in a group as we go and have somewhere to check in and have support and motivation- rather than annoying our friends who don’t want to hear numbers and dates.

About me!
I’m a 5’1.5 female and my starting weight is about 140 pounds.
My goal weight is 120 pounds by December 4: any more than that would be awesome too of course ;-)
One pound a week is a manageable number and I know my body is dying to get rid of this excess fat I’ve accumulated recently.

If you want to join, we can use the board to check in, keep accountable, put our goals and intentions into a tangible space (rather than just internally where they can be harder to stick to), and ask questions of one another for advice and tips.

I am planning to:
-Exercise for 45min at least 3/week, and try to increase that to 4/week within 2 weeks.
-Eat at least 2 servings of vegetables a day
-Reduce sugar consumption
-Not binge eat (my real problem :/ Anyone have tips on managing extreme stress and overwhelming work expectations? I find that food numbs and calms me like I expect many drugs do... but makes me fat in the process. Not worth it...)

These are very small goals but I’m starting from ground Zero: as I improve and become more resilient I will adjust my goals as needed too. But I gotta work with where I’m at!

Alright guys, let’s do this! Nervous but hopeful for support!

Replies

• rainandfire1
    Options
    Amazing! That’s definitely the case for me as well. I just need to come up with other strategies when I’m stressed rather than a trip to the grocery store 🙄.
    Let the group know if there are any goals you’re attempting to reach! especially ones that are
    Specific, Measurable, Time Based, and have Markers along the way!
    Or, just be here to talk about your progress, check in, and lend support! All good ✨
  • gearanger
    gearanger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Raina, I would love to join you on your journey, too. I’m 5’9”, currently 158 lb, and I’ve been on and off dieting when I was a senior in high school losing 30 lbs. Ever since I started college, I’ve also been binging on food because of stress, so I started dieting again this summer. I lost about 10ish lbs so far and I want to be around 140 by half a year which makes this challenge perfect. I’m new to this app, so idk how these group things work. if I don’t respond, it’s because of that. I wish you all luck and I hope that everyone in this group will be successful in their journey.
  • karenvandam
    karenvandam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would like to join you, too. I'm 5'3" and 164 lbs. I need to get down to 140 to be in my normal weight zone. I've been doing the Real Appeal diet through my work's insurance company, but I track everything on MFP. I've lost 15 lbs since February, which is great but awfully sloooow. I'd like to redouble my efforts and get closer to my goal by the end of the year. I feel like this kind of group is exactly the kick I need!

My goals (for the next 4 weeks, then I will update):
    -Train for the El Tour de Tucson 50 mile bike ride in November (one ride per week outside, plus one spin class per week)
    -Core strength training and stretching (my chiropractor gave me some exercises to do every day)
    -Walking (aim for 13,000 steps per day average, which will be a slight increase)
    -Change my MFP calorie target to lose 1 lb a week and STICK TO IT
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    agduffy4 wrote: »
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    Hello! Would love to join too!

I have been writing my masters thesis for the past year and let my weight get way ahead of me. I was usually always around 150 and wanting to get to 125, but just had the shock this morning of finding out stress of thesis has led me to get up to 170 lbs. So I would love to join and be held accountable.

My goals are:

-start with one run once a week
    -start with one gym class once a week
    -keep to logging 1200 calories/day

I also gained a considerable amount of weight when writing my thesis! I used to comfortably fluctuate in the 150s and now I find myself stuck in the 165-175 range. After defending I was the heaviest I have been at about 182. I moved on to a PhD so I didn't exactly alleviate this stress and have been struggling to get back down to a comfortable weight for my build (lower 150s is probably OK but 145 would be ideal).

Height: 5'7
    Weight:
    July 18 - 167.2 lbs

My goals for the rest of July are:
    - 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 jumping jacks daily
    - Walk/jog 10 miles/week (I have an 8 month puppy, so we can't run/jog the whole time but I have started mixing in some jogging on our walks)
    - Additional work out (YouTube boxing or "at home workout" video) 3x/week
    - Log food in MyFitnessPal daily!
    - Lose 3 lbs

Oh it’s so nice to meet someone in the same boat!

I think I just kept telling myself I have enough stress without dieting but in the last month all my clothes have stopped fitting me, so I want to at least be able to wear my old clothes again 🤦‍♀️

• KelseyRL
    KelseyRL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    I'll join in. I was doing really well last August to December, then Christmas came and then it was the depth of winter and I fell off the wagon. I'm 5' 10" and starting now at 175lbs. I would love to be 155 but I've never been below 165. 20 weeks would make it the first week of December, just in time to rock our Christmas party dresses!

Wednesdays work good for me for a weigh in day, so lets do this!

July 18 (starting weight): 174.4 lbs
    July 25 (week 1):
  • jazzypdx
    jazzypdx Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi All - 20 in 20 is a great challenge - count me in. Forum threads can get weird though (107 views with 10 comments). Wednesday weight check-in works for me.
    I re-started MFP July 1 with a goal to lose 35-45 by my birthday, so this fits perfect with about mid-point. I love Kelsey's comment about rocking our Christmas dresses.

I'm 57yr, 5'6, goal 140. I live in Portland,OR and get most of my exercise gardening, walking the neighborhood after work in the evenings or out dancing to local bands. I had to replace my Fitbit and just got MisFit Ray.

Goals I set for the month, eating healthier BY shopping healthier, log every day every bite, increase steps in prep for 5k ALZ walk in September, declutter to curb my couch potato snacking routine. Anyway...

7/18 (start) 184.5
    7/25...
  • michelinefortuin
    michelinefortuin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Count me in. Just joined MFP - still a lot to learn. Would like to lose 20kg by my 50th birthday January 2019, which puts my goal at 0.75kg per week.

Height: 152cm
    Weight: 96kg

My fitness goal is to spend at least 2 hours per night, after work, decluttering and cleaning. I tend to relax at night and weekends. I'm in admin so not much in the line of activity at the office.
  • rainandfire1
    Options
    Glad to see everyone joining in!
    I should set a weigh in date: I’ll start tomorrow weighing in. Sometimes the scale can be intimidating but I know it does motivate me
  • hazel_77
    hazel_77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would love to join too! This is my 4th week to my weight loss journey and lose 7 lbs. I am 5ft and goal is to lose additional 23 lbs in another 5 months. I do cardio boxing 6x a week for 30 to 45 minutes. I eat less carbo and add fruits and vegs to my diet which should be 1200 calories a day only.
  • leighmcc1
    leighmcc1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    I’ve been using this app for food tracking for over 3 years. I managed to lose 40 pounds over my first year and then I got lazy and stopped eating well.
    I do Zumba 5-7 days per week but I stopped strength training when I started grad school last year.

I restarted my efforts last week on my birthday.
    I want my 47th year to be healthy and strong.
    I’ve started with the loseweightbyeating detox week.

I’m 5’3; 180 lbs
    my short term goal is 160
    My ultimate goal is to get to 140

My goals:
    Finish detox week then
    Continue the daily smoothie challenge
    Increase my strength training to 2 times per week.

Thank you
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hi again everyone!

Just checking in - it’s been a good week so far: met the 1200 goal, been for a run and also went to zumba class yesterday. Hopefully the weekend goes ok - going to a street food event tonight, so will have to be careful not to indulge.
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi Can I join too?
    I’m 5’3 and currently weigh 174.2, I’ve lost almost 30lbs since I started at the end of February but need to lose 20-30lbs more. My target weight at the moment is 147lbs but that may change as I’m focusing more on body shape and clothes size. I would love to reach my target by Christmas if possible to start the new year as a new me.
  • GorditoTerronillo
    GorditoTerronillo Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi, came to check in and leave my progress this week! Welcome to all the people that joined recently too!
    Let’s see:

SW: 269lbs
    Week 1 20/07/18: 265.6lbs

Keep it up, we got this! 💪🏼