Less Alcohol - August 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I just wanted to say something about the moderation/AF thing,I think it's great to have a place where there's no judgment no matter what your goal is,I've been on a forum for problem drinking for awhile and honestly I hate that they make people who moderate feel like eventually it'll spiral out of control and they'll become full flagged"alcoholics" or if someone who wants to be completely alcohol free has a slip they get chastised and made to feel like they're a failure,I've thought of leaving many times cuz I'm tired of the attitude but I have met some great people there too,I just hope everyone feels welcome to post here no matter how they choose to handle their drinking/not drinking <3

This group of people seems dedicated to remaining open-minded. You don't have to completely understand where a person is coming from to be supportive. We are not all the same. Even if you have a few things in common with a person doesn't mean they will respond the same in every situation.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I seem to be having a burst of creativity lately, doing lots of drawing and writing.

I'm certain a large reason for that is due to my brain being healthier from less alcohol.

• anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    @MissMay Yay to You indeed that is a great change in moderating consumption congratulations on a great July

I have noticed that many posts concerning moderation are followed by the feeling that we are professing that alcohol is poison and that makes it harder to be mindfully moderate. Unfortunately for some of us Alcohol is poison mainly because of the amounts we had been drinking before we became AF. Any substance including water can be a detriment to good health if consumed in quantities that are way above normal. I sincerely feel that if you have the will power and control to be indeed moderate that is fine. I couldn't coexist with alcohol since to be able to moderate you have to be able to stop at a predetermined point. My point most of the time was the bottom of the bottle, when the bottle was empty I was finished.
    To any and all of us here that are making a conscious effort to cut back or slow down or limit or stop altogether congratulations for putting yourself first.
    When I am swimming or running and I am fading I keep repeating to myself " Like your life depends on it"

One of my lifelong friends is unable to coexist with it either. He was not done until he blacked out. This was his daily cycle for years and years.

Likewise, he totally understands how the majority of people we all know can have a healthy relationship with alcohol as they can with any other type of food.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    I agree with @SpanishFusion: Hey Beautiful People! I'm also in for AF August. I'm on a roll right now, but I have not made one complete AF month since starting in January. August will be the one, for many reasons. I just can't handle alcohol. If I ever refer to it as a poison or something like that, I hope it is understood here that I am speaking of my own inability to handle it. My own husband and mother are total "take it or leave it" drinkers and I'm sure always will be. I envy them. I can't be that kind of drinker though.

Hey, Y'all. You won't believe this. You will think I'm lying but I swear I'm not. Some of you will recall that in March I took an awesome trip to Italy with my sister-in-law. I paid my own way, but she treated us to things like business class, crazy upgrades in hotels, etc. She had a very high-powered job. While in Italy, though, she was wistfully saying she wished she could just walk away from it and do something she loved. OK, she just quit her job and has bought a winery! OMG. Her attorney husband is also quitting. They have purchased a quite successful winery and her intention is to develop even better wines than it is currently producing. Her inspiration was our trips to the wineries in Italy, although she has been a regular visitor to Napa and Sonoma and really is quite an expert.

So . . . how do I go to the new winery and not taste? Thankfully they don't close until late September. For now, I'm in for August.

How many wines would they have? You could try one of each if it's only a couple of types of grapes.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Hello friends. I will be absent for a little. Busy day of work before some time off and then my wife and I are off to vacation in Denver!
    I may read up here in the mornings but if not I will catch up with everyone on Monday

Have fun!
  • WhineThyme
    WhineThyme Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Hello friends. I will be absent for a little. Busy day of work before some time off and then my wife and I are off to vacation in Denver!
    I may read up here in the mornings but if not I will catch up with everyone on Monday

Have a wonderful trip! Enjoy the family time. :)
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @erikNj, Denver sounds cool and refreshing right about now. Hope you have a great getaway.