Less Alcohol - August 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend, all! I'm really enjoying the clarity and energy of not drinking. Still feeling like I've been liberated. I don't think my brain will ever respond with a "meh" to alcohol. I guess that's what tells me moderation won't work for me.

@lorrainequiche59, I understand what you're saying. I've thought about that, too. Alcohol is clearly a toxic substance, and saying that shouldn't be interpreted that you (or I) are "demonizing" it. It's just a fact. However, I think another fact is that despite all the "alcohol doesn't taste good" stuff from the writers I admire . . . there is no question in my mind that alcohol as a component of a really good wine or beer can contribute to a truly delightful drink. I'm watching a series of Culinary Institute of America videos, and I do not think the chef instructor is fooling himself when he discusses wine pairings with particular foods.

The thing is, some people can enjoy in moderation those beverages that contain a certain percentage of this toxic substance, understanding that overdoing it is a really bad idea. Unfortunately, that toxic substance affects me in such a way that I know I can't ingest it at all without going down a very destructive road. At least, that's how I've come to think of it over these last months. I'm wasting my energy envying those who can moderate when I can't. Knowing that, I choose to feel free from, rather than wistful about, alcohol. It's the wistfulness that has led me to fail at being AF in the past and to feel like I "have" to drink because it's . . . Italy, my anniversary, vacation, or whatever.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    With all due respect-and I am not going to argue-we all have our beliefs. Time magazine is not always objective, therefore factual, and also the Mayo Clinic uses the words "possible" and "may have" in their pairing with "health benefits". When those words are repeatedly used, it can be looked at as not necessarily factual.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    With all due respect-and I am not going to argue-we all have our beliefs. Time magazine is not always objective, therefore factual, and also the Mayo Clinic uses the words "possible" and "may have" in their pairing with "health benefits". When those words are repeatedly used, it can be looked at as not necessarily factual.

You are absolutely right and I am a strong proponent of peer reviewed, well vetted scientific sources. As this is a small group that isn’t really geared toward debate I just grabbed a couple of mainstream articles for a quick reference, the Time one came up in my Facebook feed the other day as I follow a number of Alzheimer’s association groups. There are journal documented benefits of light to moderate alcohol consumption but as I really am not trying to convince anyone to alter their strategy that is working for them I will refrain from spending the time in digging them up.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    This is what I was afraid of....what happened to me after Dry January happened again after Dry July...I went out and had multiple beer....I feel so disgusted....I must come up with a better plan than dry 'month'....i am not touching alcohol so help me God

What if you try dry day? No disgust needed, just a better plan. :)
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @AndyWR72 Isn't it amazing?! I would easily consume an extra 1000 calories in wine and snacks when I was drinking. Along with intermittent fasting, the weight is coming off, fairly easily.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    This is what I was afraid of....what happened to me after Dry January happened again after Dry July...I went out and had multiple beer....I feel so disgusted....I must come up with a better plan than dry 'month'....i am not touching alcohol so help me God

What if you try dry day? No disgust needed, just a better plan. :)
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @Norminv you are doing great!! You did 31 days (at least) AF!!! Be proud of yourself. You can get back in the saddle.

Thank you. I think I should be ok now....I just need to have some goal in my mind and I think I am past the stage of 'one-day' goals. I just need to have a dry 'quarter of a year' or something....or say dry until Sep 15...however i do have a vacation coming up
  • salleewins
    Options
    AndyWR72 wrote: »
    Currently 24 days alcohol free, it really helps me to lose weight without it. Previously I would easily have 2000+ calories in just one evening of beer and snacks.

me, too
  • salleewins
    edited August 2018
    Options

Maybe there is just the need to celebrate after a victory. I have that with me, too. That is not uncommon. You have accomplished a lot!!!! You will pick it back up. It gets somewhat easier, especially without a goal date in mind for some reason, for some of us.
  • salleewins
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @WinoGelato, it would be interesting to hear about these: "There are journal documented benefits of light to moderate alcohol consumption but as I really am not trying to convince anyone to alter their strategy that is working for them I will refrain from spending the time in digging them up." You could just present them without much comments, perhaps? See what you think? I am pretty sure we are all open to factual information.

Presently I am also interested in seeing if wine is made differently than the way it used to be many years ago. I have starting looking around to see if there is any info on this. Maybe there is a possibilty to get addicted quicker nowadays? I will see.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Julie, you won't be the one with the headache tomorrow or does something else mortifying and cringe worthy at the reception. This is probably my favorite you tube wedding disaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBCH_vswYKk
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 OH my! That bride was disgusted and then disaster struck. OMG
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    salleewins wrote: »

You are absolutely right and I am a strong proponent of peer reviewed, well vetted scientific sources.

@RubyRed427 You hit the nail on the head. It depends on which organization is financing the study. Craig Beck, as you know, actually deals with the claim of "health benefits" of red wine for eg. and refers to a study financed by the alcohol industry in which they claim benefits which are just a big fat lie in order to convince us to continue to drink their product.

I too LOVE the taste of wine. I also KNEW while I was still drinking that alcohol is a toxin, BUT rationalized & justified & minimized so I could continue to drink anyway. It's called DENIAL!! Done with that.

@salleewins I wondered the same thing about wine being different in our modern age. At least the commercially made product which does contain added chemicals.