Less Alcohol - August 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @Callandscaper, that sounds like a great moderation plan. I'm glad that works for you!

@RubyRed427, have you tried subbing sparkling water (Pellegrino or Perrier) for the club soda? I can't tolerate soda either, but the water is fine. I have trouble finding good subs for alcohol because I don't like sweet "mocktails," but I do get sick of plain old water. This weekend my husband mixed grapefruit juice and diet ginger ale, and I really liked it. Heavier on the juice so not so sweet. He laughed when he offered me a second one and I said, "No, one's my limit."

On that note, I've noticed that I expect to have a drink in my hand pretty constantly, albeit a non-alcoholic drink. I wonder when that will fade. Surely other non-drinkers don't constantly need to be drinking something. I guess that's a habit I got into with the alcohol.

Have a great week, everyone.

I do like Pellegrino and Perrier; I think I’ll switch to that always instead of soda.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say that last night was my hardest in terms of really wanting to drink, and convincing myself that was ok...if it hadn't been Sunday I most likely would have gone to specs for a bottle of vodka. Thankfully, I didn't have that option!

Congratulations on getting through it!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I have a personal challenge for everyone this week. At least 3 times this week turn on one of your favorite upbeat songs and dance. If, like me, you can't dance that well then dance awkwardly. Have yourself a 2-3 minute celebration whether you have a good reason or not. It doesn't matter if you do it alone or with someone else.

You're on. Challenge accepted. I think that is a great idea!!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Day 2 AF-today was easier than yesterday.

Flex those muscles! Way to go :)
  • mef1107
    mef1107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So what are some of the things you do to distract yourself from wanting that drink? Such as when, happy hour rolls around just before dinner or the usual drink after work, etc....
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say that last night was my hardest in terms of really wanting to drink, and convincing myself that was ok...if it hadn't been Sunday I most likely would have gone to specs for a bottle of vodka. Thankfully, I didn't have that option!
    Well done, stick to it, it’ll get easier
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    mef1107 wrote: »
    So what are some of the things you do to distract yourself from wanting that drink? Such as when, happy hour rolls around just before dinner or the usual drink after work, etc....
    Personally I think of alcohol as a poison, for me why would I want to poison myself so not drinking is so easy.
    It’s funny to sit and watch people convince themselves, it tastes nice, or it quenches their thirst.

By the way, I was an alcoholic
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Really great thread. Thanks to all for sharing!