• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone,hope we all have a wonderful weekend <3
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Interesting that I stumbled across this thread. Been AF since Sun 7/8. We were on vacation for two weeks in June on a cruise with an all inclusive drinks package, so we took full advantage of it. Knowing we were getting back on the eating healthy wagon, one of the first things I avoid is drinks with calories, so bye bye -OH for a while. I'll incorporate a bit of alcohol back into my plan once football season arrives, but since it wrecks my triglycerides and messes with my blood sugar... probably holding off until after my late September dr.'s appointment.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Glad you found us! Post whenever you feel like it, ups and downs. There's a lot of support from everyone here.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this young man would benefit from our group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IML3jU_yyGs
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    twyla77 wrote: »
    Went to Friday Happy Hour with co-workers, but just had sparkling water. Still had lots of laughs!

How nice!! Well done! Were you nervous about it beforehand?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Stopped for dinner on a road trip at one of our favorite burger spots in a college town. Partly out of habit and partly out of feeling obligated to drink in a pool hall, I ordered a beer with my burger. I immediately thought “why did I do that, I don’t really even want a beer” but decided not to chase the server down to change my order. I took about 3 sips of it and it didn’t taste great, so I left over half of it on the table when we got up to leave. My husband said, “you didn’t finish your beer, you ok?” I said “yep, just didn’t feel like it after all. “. It’s so weird how my brain is still programmed to go for alcohol but my body is starting to say “meh”.

Wow, well done!! Nice self-moderation. You have a great balance going on.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 3! I found the grocery store had a lot of triggers, there was wine/beer everywhere planted around the store and samples. I resisted and I feel great! I'm concerned as it is the weekend. [/quote]

Congratulations to you and all who are trying!

The weekends get easier overall. I now plan my weekends, leaving alcohol out, rather than the other way around like I used to. Not sure when I started making alcohol so important, but..... For me, I found I had given up much I loved in favor of alcohol. It takes some practice, but you can do it! Let us know the struggles. There is something about sharing that helps.

• salleewins
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Perhaps this young man would benefit from our group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IML3jU_yyGs

Wow, he must be in a blackout. Aww. Sad. At least one of my late son's friends drinks too much. It is very sad to see, especially as a young man. His pics on FB are often of drinking with his father etc. When I was young like that, there wasn't computers to have your pics all over the place. Good thing.
  • salleewins
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 happy vacation!!!!!!!!!!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    I'm on Day 3! I found the grocery store had a lot of triggers, there was wine/beer everywhere planted around the store and samples. I resisted and I feel great! I'm concerned as it is the weekend.

Congratulations to you and all who are trying!

The weekends get easier overall. I now plan my weekends, leaving alcohol out, rather than the other way around like I used to. Not sure when I started making alcohol so important, but..... For me, I found I had given up much I loved in favor of alcohol. It takes some practice, but you can do it! Let us know the struggles. There is something about sharing that helps.

[/quote]

YES weekends DO get easier. As I was passing all the vacationers headed North last eve on my drive home from work, I briefly thought about drinking accompanying the activities this holiday weekend. How many people will be "letting 'er rip" & doing stupid things, & feeling like crappola the next day!! NO THANK YOU!! I've had more than my share of those days.

@JenT304 Unbelievable that young man was able to walk around the store let alone run carrying an alligator in his condition. The sad part to me is he likely won't stop at this. Even though he is verbalizing some of the possible consequences for his drunken stupidity, this will likely just provide another tale to tell at his next drink-fest. Not sure this is his last drinking rodeo.

It made me think of the whole alcohol is poison debate. It is what it is, what is IS!! And that IS a toxin. It messes with us. YES, if a person drinks moderate amounts, which means what a body is able to process within a particular time frame, then there is no obvious effects. BUT who really can do that...I'm thinking it is the minority. And if there are some of the minority on this thread who can actually "moderate" alcohol then good on ya. I just don't want to get on the denial train & call alcohol anything other than what it is. I'm not saying that it isn't possible to moderate alcohol, but that doesn't mean it isn't toxic. As far as vilifying alcohol, that is not what I am doing. I am stating a well researched FACT!! I just really needed to put this out there because it has been swirling around inside of me needing to be vented. I'm not asking for anyone to agree/disagree.

Hopefully, I don't "offend," I just want to be able to be real.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    PS: I messed up yet ANOTHER quote!! LOL I likely don't need to point this out though do I?