Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is bodybuilding bad for society, from a body positivity perspective?

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    harneska wrote: »
    Not everyone has as their priority an aesthetic body. Maybe their career or family is. Should they not try to advance in their career because NOT EVERYONE can attain CEO status? Or should people not marry because some people can't find a partner?

Trying to push down people from their desire to see what their God-given potential is, (in whatever ethical arena) is really a SELFISH thing to do.

It would be selfish to ban bodybuilding as a sport, but not selfish for an individual to decide that their participation in the sport was a net negative for society. That would be selfless, IMO. The debate is how we each answer that individual ethical question.

In a similar vein, some women don't wear makeup for the exact same reason -- they don't want to perpetuate the physical ideals that bombard girls in magazines, and they'd rather show an alternative idea of beauty. That's their decision, and not something they're imposing on others. Selfless, not selfish.

Selfless - really? Not just a meaningless act to make themselves feel morally superior?

Or, it may be just their preference and people read into it more than they should. I never wear makeup. Reason: can't be arsed. Often times it's not a great sacrifice for the good of people at the altar of social justice, but people who care about an issue tend to see the world through their particular glasses.

But you aren't also going around saying you are purposely abstaining from makeup to show the world "an alternative idea of beauty." (Or maybe you are, I don't know you!)

My comment was not directed at you, but at OP who sees women without makeup and assumes they're fighting the fight, just like they assume everyone who does bodybuilding does it to conform to a perceived society ideal and should feel ashamed.

I assumed that - I just wanted to reiterate the point.

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bufger wrote: »
    I haven't met a woman yet who thinks Chris Hemsworth is ugly in Thor.

The fact is genetically we are predisposed to see lean form in males as alpha/prime just like males see female wide hips and big busts as good mating partners. This is in our subconscious because it's been our percieved reality for hundreds of thousands of years. Over time these predispositions fade as ideals change but think of how many thousands of years the Homo sapiens have thought like that... a few generations of alternative thought isn't going to remove that hard wiring.

It often comes to what we see as good in mating partners, but what "good" is has changed dramatically over time in our culture, and is completely different in many other cultures.

So is the point that we should endeavor to have society embrace being fat, out of shape and sedentary as the ideal, so all those people don't get hurt feelz?
    Not at all. The point is whether we should endeavor to have society value what we can do more than precisely how you look. Power lifting vs. bodybuilding. Nobody ever said anything about embracing poor health and being sedentary.

Even that is discriminatory, and makes people feel bad about themselves. There are people who, because of the way their body is made, will be able to lift a lot more than many who have been lifting for a long time.

Basketball players will be able to play better basketball with a height advantage.

Gymnasts who are short have an advantage over those who are tall.

This goes on and on.

You want to see what REAL body positivity is? Listen to this choreographer at the end of this video:

https://youtu.be/Zy2226V5NYk

The various people, races, and body types and abilities are a lesson in body positivity itself, but if you want to skip the dancing and get to the point, it's at 4:08.

Let me know what you guys think of it if you bother to watch it.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bufger wrote: »
    I haven't met a woman yet who thinks Chris Hemsworth is ugly in Thor.

The fact is genetically we are predisposed to see lean form in males as alpha/prime just like males see female wide hips and big busts as good mating partners. This is in our subconscious because it's been our percieved reality for hundreds of thousands of years. Over time these predispositions fade as ideals change but think of how many thousands of years the Homo sapiens have thought like that... a few generations of alternative thought isn't going to remove that hard wiring.

It often comes to what we see as good in mating partners, but what "good" is has changed dramatically over time in our culture, and is completely different in many other cultures.

So is the point that we should endeavor to have society embrace being fat, out of shape and sedentary as the ideal, so all those people don't get hurt feelz?
    Not at all. The point is whether we should endeavor to have society value what we can do more than precisely how you look. Power lifting vs. bodybuilding. Nobody ever said anything about embracing poor health and being sedentary.

Even that is discriminatory, and makes people feel bad about themselves. There are people who, because of the way their body is made, will be able to lift a lot more than many who have been lifting for a long time.

Basketball players will be able to play better basketball with a height advantage.

Gymnasts who are short have an advantage over those who are tall.

This goes on and on.

You want to see what REAL body positivity is? Listen to this choreographer at the end of this video:

https://youtu.be/Zy2226V5NYk

The various people, races, and body types and abilities are a lesson in body positivity itself, but if you want to skip the dancing and get to the point, it's at 4:08.

Let me know what you guys think of it if you bother to watch it.

Her message is absolutely what we should be preaching and not this HAES crap!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea.

Stop watching so much TV.

Stop buying Cosmo.

Stop believing that you have to live in fear and -

Comparison is the thief of joy.

If only it were that easy... ha

I do none of those things. But chocking every problem in life up to individual virtue is such a cop out. Not everything is as easy for them as it is for you. Circumstances are different.

What dos "individual virtue" mean? I think it was mentioned to stop doing those things because obviously you're getting the notion of an ideal body somewhere...typically that would be media...though I'm not sure what media you would be consuming to think that a bodybuilder's physique is the societal ideal...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Not everyone has as their priority an aesthetic body. Maybe their career or family is. Should they not try to advance in their career because NOT EVERYONE can attain CEO status? Or should people not marry because some people can't find a partner?

Trying to push down people from their desire to see what their God-given potential is, (in whatever ethical arena) is really a SELFISH thing to do.

It would be selfish to ban bodybuilding as a sport, but not selfish for an individual to decide that their participation in the sport was a net negative for society. That would be selfless, IMO. The debate is how we each answer that individual ethical question.

Wait, whut???

Are you actually arguing that people should let themselves get fat and unfit to spare the feelings of the people around them???
    Not at all. Just questioning whether people should go to the gym to get fit and strong, or to look good. I know there's a lot of overlap between those two things, but bodybuilding indexes on looking good.

Why should people's motives matter? This is like all the posts where OP asks for help losing vanity weight, and someone always posts a judgy response about how that's not a good motive for weight loss. Do you think that people should only lose weight if it's based on health objectives, because losing vanity weight could make people who are having trouble getting to the top of a healthy weight feel bad?

I've worked hard with my diet to get my body into a (low) healthy weight range. I've worked hard in the gym and on the road to get strong, visible muscles. Like others here, I look (and feel) younger than I am (67). Everything I do beyond adequate nutrition and movement to maintain health is purely for vanity. Do you think I'm harming society by striving for a body and health goal that others in my age group can't or choose not to persue?

I can't think of a single accomplishment that every single person on earth can reasonably achieve. So the answer is, are we going to race to the bottom or are we going to accept that people are different?

Exactly!