Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is bodybuilding bad for society, from a body positivity perspective?

Options

Replies

• harneska
    harneska Posts: 25 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    harneska wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    In the same way, I'd leave powerlifting out of this conversation -- because that's about function -- how much you can lift.

Sure. Because then people can obsess and feel inferior about how much they can squat, deadlift or bench press, instead of how their bodies look. Seems legit.

You're drawing false conclusions. Feeling inferior about how much you can squat is no different than feeling inferior about how well you can write, or how well you can speak, or how well you can play basketball. Feeling inferior because who you are and what you look like does not conform to societal ideals is not the same.

Here's where I'm having trouble following your logic - you are assigning virtue to motives rather than actual accomplishments. How does a power-lifter who lifts purely because they like the way they look when they're at the top of their game fit into the virtue/selfish paradigm you've created?

I haven't created any such paradigm. You all are taking this so personally. Forget about the individual. You can do whatever the F you want. This is a philosophical question about whether society is better or worse off from bodybuilding existing at all. Not banning, not taking away your rights or your Fing guns. The question is just whether bodybuilding is a good thing, considering the aesthetic ideals it collectively promotes and how that impacts people in the world on the whole (e.g. boys and adolescents who feel like to be a "man" they need to look like Arnold).
  • harneska
    Options
    In the same way, I'd leave powerlifting out of this conversation -- because that's about function -- how much you can lift.

Sure. Because then people can obsess and feel inferior about how much they can squat, deadlift or bench press, instead of how their bodies look. Seems legit.

You're drawing false conclusions. Feeling inferior about how much you can squat is no different than feeling inferior about how well you can write, or how well you can speak, or how well you can play basketball. Feeling inferior because who you are and what you look like does not conform to societal ideals is not the same.

Here's where I'm having trouble following your logic - you are assigning virtue to motives rather than actual accomplishments. How does a power-lifter who lifts purely because they like the way they look when they're at the top of their game fit into the virtue/selfish paradigm you've created?

I haven't created any such paradigm. You all are taking this so personally. Forget about the individual. You can do whatever the F you want. This is a philosophical question about whether society is better or worse off from bodybuilding existing at all. Not banning, not taking away your rights or your Fing guns. The question is just whether bodybuilding is a good thing, considering the aesthetic ideals it collectively promotes and how that impacts people in the world on the whole (e.g. boys and adolescents who feel like to be a "man" they need to look like Arnold).

You're actually debating whether or not society is better or worse if there is any achievement that can't be replicated by all.

Not at all. Again, I'm debating whether we should consider something an "achievement" as a society that promotes unrealistic body image. Yes, idealized body images are not attainable by all, just like elite athletic performance or elite academic performance. But neither of those two things have anything to do with body image, which seems to be a serious psychological problem in our society. Don't conflate that with "everyone gets a trophy" arguments. You could, however, compare it to beauty pageants.
  • harneska
    Options
    You are the only one in control of if you feel inferior or not.
    Yeah, but it makes people feel better than having to accept responsibility for their own actions.

That's kind of BS. In the end we're all in control of ourselves, but for person A's circumstances, maintaining that control may be 100x harder than for person B's circumstances. For example, let's say you were sexually abused as a child. The trauma you've experience from that may distort your body image in ways that you or I will never understand. Personal responsibility is only part of the equation, no matter how much you'd like to stick your head in the ground and pretend every success you've achieved came to you purely on merit. It seems worthwhile to value the fact that we all come from different places, and our environment and circumstances matter.

I still don't understand. Why would anyone's circumstances justify changing an entire population of people with all kinds of their own circumstances to appease someone? Why is one person's pain more important than another's? Why is it okay to want others who find joy or even solace in any certain activity to feel bad in order to change the way someone else feels about something? Would forcing others to give up their activities change the psychological damage caused by circumstances?
    I don't know where most of your questions came from or what we're even talking about any more. Very off track from the topic.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I halfway understand the point. I am not a fan of bodybuilding competitions and beauty pageants. I don't like them because I don't think that they are very healthy for the PARTICIPANTS (both physically and mentally/emotionally). I do not believe they are detrimental to society, or everyone else's body image issues.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You're actually debating whether or not society is better or worse if there is any achievement that can't be replicated by all.

Not at all. Again, I'm debating whether we should consider something an "achievement" as a society that promotes unrealistic body image. Yes, idealized body images are not attainable by all, just like elite athletic performance or elite academic performance. But neither of those two things have anything to do with body image, which seems to be a serious psychological problem in our society. Don't conflate that with "everyone gets a trophy" arguments. You could, however, compare it to beauty pageants.

I'm having trouble with the idea that society does consider bodybuilding an "achievement". Most straight women I know think male bodybuilders look gross, not attractive. (They may often think that kind of lightly muscled athletic looking men are attractive, but that's way different.) Virtually everyone I know thinks female bodybuilders look absolutely grotesque.

(I'm not endorsing those perspectives, BTW, but to the extent I've ever heard anyone talk about it, that's what I've heard.)

At best, as far as I can tell, people I know think of it as a weird niche hobby. Even those with body issues - women who feel insecure, triggered by people talking about weight loss, triggered by "fitspiration", etc. - don't seem to feel bad that they don't look like bodybuilders. They feel bad because they don't look like photoshopped models and actresses.

(I'm talking about women here, because I can't recall ever talking with any men about their body insecurities, but I have heard men say in conversation that they think male bodybuilders don't look a way they'd want to look - usually expressing that less politely.)

I could get on board with the idea that popular culture (at least in the US) promotes idealized versions of completely useless superficial qualities, and glorifies traits that weaken society if/when widespread, while being all kind of "meh" about accomplishments/traits we'd be better off if more people pursued, like health, strength, good character, kindness, hard work, etc.

But worrying that popular culture glorifies bodybuilding, or considers it an achievement, to the extent that that materially affects insecure people? I think that's pretty close to fiction.

I think she was talking about the bodybuilding an actor might do, as opposed to a competitive bodybuilder. There are levels to this.