Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is bodybuilding bad for society, from a body positivity perspective?

Options

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this in there for your (relative to the discussion) entertainment:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hWpiZ2gA7cw

• harneska
    harneska Posts: 25 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You are the only one in control of if you feel inferior or not.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yeah, but it makes people feel better than having to accept responsibility for their own actions.

That's kind of BS. In the end we're all in control of ourselves, but for person A's circumstances, maintaining that control may be 100x harder than for person B's circumstances. For example, let's say you were sexually abused as a child. The trauma you've experience from that may distort your body image in ways that you or I will never understand. Personal responsibility is only part of the equation, no matter how much you'd like to stick your head in the ground and pretend every success you've achieved came to you purely on merit. It seems worthwhile to value the fact that we all come from different places, and our environment and circumstances matter.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Blaming everything on society is a cop out
    Yeah, but it makes people feel better than having to accept responsibility for their own actions.

harneska wrote: »
    I'm comparing powerlifting/strength training to bodybuilding. Unless you think anyone who doesn't bodybuild is "average." Neither the bodybuilder nor the powerlifter is average. Neither should feel bad about their body. The point I'm exploring is whether it is good for society and our collective idea of body image ideals to pursue bodybuilding in the first place.
    You've mentioned powerlifting a few times now. How is training for powerlifting any more 'virtuous' than training for physique? Both of them are a specific individual end goal. Is it because you think being able to lift a lot of weight won't hurt people's feelings as much as having a good body?

Because apparently, training to look your best is selfish (i.e. the only reason you would do it is to make other people feel bad about themselves), but training to be the strongest, fastest, etc is a selfless act that should be promoted by society... or some other such nonsense.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I understand the argument that you are making, but the problem is not that there are bodybuilders who are willing to sacrifice and spend unending hours in a gym to achieve what they believe are the 'perfect' body (and more than likely damage their health with various illegal substances to achieve their goals). The actual problem is a societal issue with how the bodybuilders are perceived. Banning the 'sport' of bodybuilding will not solve the problem, society would simply move on to the next thing that gets idolized/glorified/etc.

I mean, if you were to ban bodybuilding because it makes some people feel bad about themselves, what gets banned next? Blue eyes, blonde hair, beauty....? You should do a Google search on 'The Twilight Zone' - they actually covered this very topic more than 40 years ago by depicting a society that forced all people who had reached puberty to undergo plastic surgery so that all people would be the same (thus eliminating envy). There have also been a number of SciFi writers who have covered this topic extensively.

A classic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

I was actually reading this thread just to see if anyone had posted a link to this short story.
    http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

That's kind of BS. In the end we're all in control of ourselves, but for person A's circumstances, maintaining that control may be 100x harder than for person B's circumstances. For example, let's say you were sexually abused as a child. The trauma you've experience from that may distort your body image in ways that you or I will never understand. Personal responsibility is only part of the equation, no matter how much you'd like to stick your head in the ground and pretend every success you've achieved came to you purely on merit. It seems worthwhile to value the fact that we all come from different places, and our environment and circumstances matter.

Sexual abuse?!?! How does that have anything to do with what we are talking about?!?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Sexual abuse?!?! How does that have anything to do with what we are talking about?!?

You're getting really worked up about this. You and another poster were making the point that individual responsibility trumps all else. Sexual abuse is an example of how not everything is as easy for some people as for others.

Not being easy doesn't equal impossible. Unless you have a severe mental illness or cognitive impairment as an adult you are responsible for your actions.