I’m so done with this.

Options

Replies

• TheAnxiousPineapple
    TheAnxiousPineapple Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are going through this; I can completely relate. I feel like i could have written this post myself!

I don't know that i have some infinite wisdom to bestow upon you (wish i did) but I can tell you that for me, I need to constantly remind myself that this is an isolated moment in time and you won't always feel this way. Then, in an attempt to not beat myself up which only makes the situation worse, i try to add something positive into my life to take up space and push the negative out.

Can you take a different route home so you don't pass that McDonald's? Try to break the habit/cycle that your brain can used to with bad behaviors

Can you bring a journal to work and write for a few minutes before you turn your car on to go home at the end of the day? Not being present is a huge component of binge eating (so my therapist says)

Can you change up your meals or workout? (are you binges related to boredom and you need some spice in your life?)

Whatever works for you, do it and know that you are 100% NOT alone and that you will 100% NOT feel this way forever and we are all 100% HERE for you!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You appear to be young, in the mid-20's. What's your schedule? Job? School? Have you any family obligations?

McDonalds can be part of a healthy life. The McChicken and side salad is still about $2 and under 400 calories. Ditch the salad dressing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    let me just say that I have been at my weight loss journey for about 5 years. in which time I have only lost a little less than half my weight(I lost 44 lbs of the 70 I need to lose). I have taken diet breaks every so often over that time. I havent given up yet and usually Im one that sees if something isnt working I give up. I eat what I want in moderation and make it fit into my calories. some days I do go over like today(but didnt log all of it my bad) but I get myself back on track as best as I can and keep myelf going why? because I tell myself that I dont want to start out back at square 1 and be back to the size I was,out of breath doing simple tasks and having all that fat hindering my movement and causing me health issues in the long run. when I started out I was 209 lbs. obese for my 5'6 1/2 frame. I was eating more than 2000 calories and IM female. I was sedentary.

I dont believe in being too strict with my diet but I try to reach my protein and carb limits as for me I have to do a low fat,low cholesterol high fiber diet due to a health issue. I try and make some snacks fit but try to eat "healthier" foods throughout the day. if I had to cut out the foods I love the most I would have never lasted this long. I lost weight too because I was in a deficit and I lost a lot of fat. more fat than weight to be honest.right now Im maintaining my weight because I had stopped losing weight for some weird reason so I am doing a recomp. Im still losing fat but my weight is remaining steady and its working for me. You have to want to lose the weight and once you do you will realize how much better you feel,how much easier it is to do things

I had taco bell last night but the hours before I made sure to make healthier choices. so try to eat better choices and make one meal fast food every so often. I only eat fast food twice a month, rarely is it more. I eat other things I like but I make it fit into my calorie goal so I dont feel deprived either. its worked for me and has worked for many others here as well.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive and causes depression after about 1 hour of eating it because of the insulin spikes. I would highly suggest to try a keto diet and I promise your cravings will go away. just be strong and follow it for at least 2 weeks, once you re program your body to use fat for fuel instead of glucose.

your body burns fat in a deficit no matter how you eat. insulin can spike from eating protein as well. if a person doesnt have insulin issues they dont need to avoid sugar. keto is not any better than any other diet out there for weight loss. its good for those with IR,type 2,pcos and epilepsy but the fat you burn in keto is dietary fat.
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I found quitting calorie heavy foods harder than quitting smoking. I've been quit almost a year but I still struggle with my food choices, because honestly it's like an addiction to food for me. I totally get where you are coming from, that little though creeps into your head then BOOM its all you can think about and you are completely unable to stop it, so you satisfy it. You have to get your head thinking differently. I couldn't do it slowly, honestly. It took me 100000 times of cold turkey but eventually it stuck and I broke the "habit" of bad eating. I still have days where I don't make the best choices here and there, but I'm at a point where I can shrug it off and just keep going. We can try and motivate you as best we can and give you ideas and thoughts, but in the end, it boils down to your own intrinsic motivation. You CAN do this, you just have to let yourself do it.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Why don’t you just allow for the odd McDonalds in your calories?

The key to success is not in giving up things you really like, inevitably failing, and then beating yourself up. The key to success is figuring how to fit what you’re craving into your calorie allowance.

And frankly, if I managed to fit pizza into 1200, you can easily fit McDonalds into 2300.
  • Kirkyballs
    Kirkyballs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It like anything in life you have to really want it. To start just start with ordering the small meals at fast food paces maybe water instead of coke slowly just cut down however your can and still walk still go to the gym remember something is always better then nothing. You only fail once you stop trying pal. I was heavily addicted to cocaine drink then binging on fast food when I was coming down I still battle this but I’ve realised the day I stop trying is the day I’m doomed so small steps keep moving forward. A saying I always think ov when things seem overwhelming is. The longest journeys start with one step. So try remember that before you do a 100mph to Mac d’s not going that first time is that small step. Keep me posted and if u ever wanna ask me anything I’ll try help u pal
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Saibasu wrote: »
    Honestly? I found quitting calorie heavy foods harder than quitting smoking. I've been quit almost a year but I still struggle with my food choices, because honestly it's like an addiction to food for me. I totally get where you are coming from, that little though creeps into your head then BOOM its all you can think about and you are completely unable to stop it, so you satisfy it. You have to get your head thinking differently. I couldn't do it slowly, honestly. It took me 100000 times of cold turkey but eventually it stuck and I broke the "habit" of bad eating. I still have days where I don't make the best choices here and there, but I'm at a point where I can shrug it off and just keep going. We can try and motivate you as best we can and give you ideas and thoughts, but in the end, it boils down to your own intrinsic motivation. You CAN do this, you just have to let yourself do it.

Agree... it is an addiction. And it is HARD.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    zach_duden wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions/tips/words of encouragement. I know I can do this, i just have (a lot) of days where I doubt myself and I’m working to get rid of that self doubt.

The self-doubt improves a lot with modest, sustainable goals that allow a person to experience success. I hope you've taken the suggestions here about fully utilizing your calorie allowance and not trying to completely overhaul your diet overnight to heart. :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    zach_duden wrote: »
    My calorie goal set automatically by MFP is 2,300. I’m trying to stay below that, if possible below 2,000. I’m 300 pounds. I like what I eat when I’m eating healthy (ie. fruits, ham sandwiches, lots of grilled chicken, eggs, pb2, etc.) but it’s just like I can’t stick with it. I’ve tracked my daily, normal day food before. Not good at all. Over 4,000 calories. It makes me cringe even typing that. I go to the gym, but then the next day I sleep in. I know I’m lazy. I need to kick myself in the *kitten*. But I feel like I’ve been there, done that 1,000 times.
    Why do you think MFP gave you 2300 calories? Because those who designed it, don't really want you to lose weight, or because they know something you don't understand yet?

Of course... it's a conspiracy!

Why else would so many posters ignore the perfectly sustainable calorie allowance given to them by MFP and choose to impose misery & deprivation on themselves instead? ;)
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest with you. I don't think you are choosing to be fat. Or choosing the foods you eat. I think it is so hard for you to avoid McDonalds because you are so HABITUATED to McDonalds. Food choices, for many, are on autopilot. You can get slim the exact same way you got fat - by autopiloting your meals.

Have you tried habit training?

Maybe it's too much to try to eat under calories for an entire day. That's a lot of habits you are going against.

How about changing one meal?

Like, if you usually have coffee and a muffin, try coffee and eggs. Then eat like you normally would for the rest of the day. Do that for a month. Until you no longer want the muffin. Then move on to one of your snacks. Instead of chips, try popcorn. And so on and so forth until you have a good chunk of your diet under control, where willpower isn't needed. Then clean that up. Instead of coffee and eggs, move on to coffee and egg white and veggie omletes, etc.

It is slow, but it is DOABLE.

The little victories add up. Instead of beating yourself up for failure, set yourself up to celebrate your successes. It builds momentum.

Whatever you decide to do, don't give up!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "healthy" in order to lose weight. You don't even have to work out in order to lose weight. You just have to consistently eat within your calorie goal. Unless you have medical conditions that dictate what you can and can't eat, you can get your calories from whatever foods you want.

You don't have to cut out any foods at all. If you're denying yourself the foods you want, then it makes sense that your plan will be difficult to keep up. You don't have to stop eating what you like, but you may have to eat less of it or eat it less often in order to make it fit your calorie goals.

For instance, I love chocolate. I used to eat a whole chocolate bar as a dessert, no problem. (Also ice cream, brownies, cookies...you get the point.) When I was losing weight, I dropped down to eating just a square of dark chocolate per day. I budgeted calories for it. It was tough at first, but I really looked forward to my chocolate. I would have been extremely unhappy had I given it up altogether. Now that I'm in maintenance, my husband and I usually split a nice chocolate bar for dessert.

It also makes sense that if you're trying to change a lot of things in your life at the same time, that might be overwhelming and hard to stick with. You don't have to change your entire routine all at once. One thing at a time, one day at a time.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I've found that I've had to give up certain foods almost completely because they trigger me. There are certain *cheat* meals I can allow myself because I know I can bounce back from them. The occasional slice of pizza vs. having it almost weekly, sometimes multiple times a week? Sure. A bit or two of a decadent dessert? Sure! And it can be just a bite, maybe two. Tostitos and that devil cheesey dip? Nope. I start with that and wake up three days later with a needle in my arm and a vat of nacho cheese sauce at the other end. Donuts? Hell No, give me a powdered donut and when I come to, I look like Al Pacino in that scene from Scarface when he goes head down into all the cocaine. I've really dedicated myself this year and have lost weight slowly and steadily, occasionally I'll do a round of Whole 30 - because each time after, I notice my taste buds start to change a little and I like certain things less and other things more... Allow yourself treats, sure - but if there *triggers* you may just want to avoid them as much as possible. But if you don't, and you find yourself three days later under a bridge using a pile of burger wrappers to stay warm - forgive yourself. Brush yourself off and start over. It's all any of us can do, and it's so muc better than just giving up.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive and causes depression after about 1 hour of eating it because of the insulin spikes. I would highly suggest to try a keto diet and I promise your cravings will go away. just be strong and follow it for at least 2 weeks, once you re program your body to use fat for fuel instead of glucose.

Nope. I don't bother tracking my sugar, but I allow moderate treats. No depression, no cravings, and I'm on the default 50% carb target. Some days, I even exceed that slightly.

106lbs lost and counting.