Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you gain fat while in ketosis?

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Wow KETO sure seems to be one of the hot button diets of the year. Cannot turn around without someone either saying it is the best thing ever, or it is the most overstated diet that is not real ever. I read each person's point of view here, and one thing really jumped out about the whole being in ketosis bit. On the whole, being in ketosis is not considered a healthy goal. So I find this worrisome that all that bow down to KETO are stating being in KETOSIS is the holy grail.
    I understand if someone is let us say, very healthy and on this lifestyle of Keto. But this is where this or so many other diets or lifestyle changes can be scary. For people who already have some type of major health issue, that decide oh yes I am going on Keto, and into Ketone land and this will cure my problems. Ah, I have news for them it could cause them more issues than they could even dream of, like nightmares. What I have read here and in many other posts is people appear to jump after the latest IN thing, and really do not do enough research first. Like want to lose weight well, the thing is we need to burn more calories, than we take in. Need to move more.

And me well I am a diabetic on insulin. So yes I do have to watch my carbs like a hawk. Because I am not just an obese person losing weight. I am an obese diabetic person losing weight. So in my case that means yes I have a calorie count, but me it is about carbs, protein, fat, sugar and sodium as well. And anyone that is a diabetic, ketones are bad news.

I believe that Midwesterner was referring to the above comment about ketones and ketosis...
  • CogentHMS
    CogentHMS Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow have not seen or read that post. Thanks
  • CogentHMS
    Options
    Oh, lol.. I have read thanks for noticing
  • CogentHMS
    Options
    After re-reading I don’t believe that post addresses Specifically DKA. So I am not sure or that is the case. But anyway. Thanks for addressing
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ...Lets also not forget that insulin is spiked by protein...
    ^ Another point widely ignored/omitted (or not understood) by the insulin=obesity crowd. Protein is equally insulogenic as carbs.

...So what this means is that no matter what you eat you are storing fat. But net energy balance is what determines if you gain, lose, or maintain your weight whether there is a net fat gain, loss or maintenance.
    Exactly, with a small tweak.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Lets also not forget that insulin is spiked by protein...
    ^ Another point widely ignored/omitted (or not understood) by the insulin=obesity crowd. Protein is equally insulogenic as carbs.

...So what this means is that no matter what you eat you are storing fat. But net energy balance is what determines if you gain, lose, or maintain your weight whether there is a net fat gain, loss or maintenance.
    Exactly, with a small tweak.

Good correction not to be confused with water weight changes.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I can't wrap my brain around people thinking 'overeating vegetables' (ie eating enough that the carbs knock you out of ketosis, which is not a lot!) is unhealthy when there is no evidence that eating a diet with lots of vegetables is associated with negative health outcomes or obesity.

PS I know a cardiac nurse AND an endocrinologist who disagree with you.

I'd like to know how the insulin=obesity peddlers attempt to explain the fact that there are many non-keto dieters at a healthy body weight/body fat percentage. That alone renders the carbohydrate/insulin obesity hypothesis null and void.

Plant-based diets are largely the antithesis of keto diets, generally being much higher in carbs. Yet, not every vegetarian/vegan is obese. How is it possible?

Look at someone like Freelee the Banana Girl (proponent of raw high-carb woo). She claims to eat like 3,000 calories of fruit and starch a day and is extremely lean. Because she’s an endurance athlete and doesn’t have a job that takes away from exercise time!
This discussion has been closed.