Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gullible Naive Society or Just down right Lazy?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    People fall for those scams for two reasons:

1) Inherent laziness/wanting a "quick fix"/not wanting to take any initiative to actually learn anything about how the body works.

2) Because the diet/fitness industry is very, very good at understanding the psyche of their target audiences, and is very, very good at marketing their BS in a manner that makes it very appealing to said audiences. They understand 1) above, and prey on it.

The industry also understands that the 'appeal to authority' seems to hold a lot of water with people - hence you have Doctor Oz, Doctor Fung, Doctor Mercola, Doctor Lustig, etc. - and gullible people think "Well, he's a doctor, so he must know what he's talking about". They don't realize that these "doctors" are just snake oil salesmen who are using their titles to sell products. They won't do a half hour of research to vet their sources.

But somebody still has to explain to me why anybody listens to Taubes. He has no education or training in medicine, health or nutrition. He's a freaking journalist. You might as well take nutritional advice from the guy who changes your oil at the local Speedy Lube. Taubes is as credible/reliable a source as Freelee the Banana Girl or David 'Avocado' Wolfe.

I actually had the counter guy at the place where I got my last oil change try to sell me on some quack "health" supplement that he said would help my dad's dementia. It took a lot for me to not smack the crap out of him, considering my dad was in the hospital and very sick at the time.

No jury of your MFP peers would've convicted you. That would be justifiable assault and battery.

Yup. I was getting the oil change done before making the drive to see him. It really just spoke of how people will prey on those they think are weak.

That's despicable and embodies everything I hate about MLMs :frowning:

It really was deplorable. ☹
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I would say lack of education regarding fitness, nutrition, the human body ...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not to mention all the crowd-funded quackery the internet has brought us....ie Solar Roadways, Fontus, SciO etc. Plus the popularity contest impractical BS like Hyperloop.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    A lot of people drop science, but they don't know the math, because their minds are narrower than the righteous path.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A lot of people drop science, but they don't know the math, because their minds are narrower than the righteous path.

I used to wonder about people who don't believe in themselves...but then i saw the way that they portrayed us to everyone else. That cursed us, then only see the worst in ourselves. Blind to the fact the whole time we were hurting ourselves.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I’m posting from my phone, and messed up my quote