Tummy surgery after 180 pound weight loss [warning - some graphic pics]

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    How does it feel looking at your own surgery like that? I'm not squeamish at all but is it different knowing it's you? Wild!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing your story!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    darla499 wrote: »
    I wish I could afford that! I've lost 185 and am 19 pounds from goal. Looking good!

I decided to save up bit by bit for my surgery. As I run more than anything else, I dropped my gym membership and cut a few luxuries out of my habit. I (slowly) saved up at the rate of about $50-100 a month. I also rewarded myself for each goal with a $20 into my savings. Just like weight loss taking time, but the end results can be massive, saving a little here and there ends up with the same results. Also, make it known that you want to save up for it, and instead of standard birthday or Xmas presents, request help to pay for it.

Do you mind sharing how much it cost? I want to have it done with some lipo -- I have some lower abdominal scar tissue that will require abdominoplasty to fix, and because it's cosmetic, my insurance won't cover it -- and have a guesstimate, but am trying to come up with a better ballpark as to what I need to save.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Thanks for sharing this. I know I will need an arm lift and tummy tuck when I reach goal. I have a double flap for a stomach. The top flap is skin folded over a double hernia repair scar and I have a lower abdominal flap too. I'm starting to see tricep development but skin folds hang over my elbow when my arms are by my sides.

My biggest issues are scarring because I tend to keloid and get dark scars, and pain.

But seeing how well you're healing and how you're taking shape makes it worth it. Wishing you a smooth recovery.

@New_Heavens_Earth last year I had my arms done and a flier de lis tummy tuck which addresses both the upper and lower abdomen. I also had a vertical thigh lift two weeks ago that I am home recovering from. I’d be happy to share some pics and any info if it’s ok with @VUA21 that I jump in on her thread.
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    That video was fascinating! Congrats on your successful surgery!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I don't think I posted this here, if I did, oops, if not - well here's the video my doctor posted of my surgery.

https://youtu.be/C2RZD5pXPLg

Cool! Especially the belly button part. I always wondered about that.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    You seem to be healing nicely!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Your incision looks awesome! I had a midline (1-2 inches above belly button all the way down) incision (for a completely different operation) and it never looked as nice as yours
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Thanks for sharing this. I know I will need an arm lift and tummy tuck when I reach goal. I have a double flap for a stomach. The top flap is skin folded over a double hernia repair scar and I have a lower abdominal flap too. I'm starting to see tricep development but skin folds hang over my elbow when my arms are by my sides.

My biggest issues are scarring because I tend to keloid and get dark scars, and pain.

But seeing how well you're healing and how you're taking shape makes it worth it. Wishing you a smooth recovery.

@New_Heavens_Earth last year I had my arms done and a flier de lis tummy tuck which addresses both the upper and lower abdomen. I also had a vertical thigh lift two weeks ago that I am home recovering from. I’d be happy to share some pics and any info if it’s ok with @VUA21 that I jump in on her thread.

@melissa6771 Feel free to. The more first hand information about various surgeries, the better. Helps people see what before/after and recovery is truly like.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing them as well. I'm not going to need my arms done, but eventually I am getting at least my thighs done
  • VUA21
    I don't think I posted this here, if I did, oops, if not - well here's the video my doctor posted of my surgery.

https://youtu.be/C2RZD5pXPLg

Cool! Especially the belly button part. I always wondered about that.

Before my surgery, so did I. I went from a fairly sad, extended, and droopy bellybutton to a cute one. Although at the moment it's not too cute as it's still scabbed over quite a bit.
  • VUA21
    Your incision looks awesome! I had a midline (1-2 inches above belly button all the way down) incision (for a completely different operation) and it never looked as nice as yours

My c-section scar was pretty bad, it's gone now. Part of it, is that plastic surgeons have a higher focus on end result aesthetics than other surgeons so the suturing tend to be focused on both proper closing and minimizing scarring. When I had my C-section, the top layer of sutures were staples, which resulted in a big ugly scar. My tummy-tuck removed it as the bottom incision went right below my old scar.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

My c-section scar was pretty bad, it's gone now. Part of it, is that plastic surgeons have a higher focus on end result aesthetics than other surgeons so the suturing tend to be focused on both proper closing and minimizing scarring. When I had my C-section, the top layer of sutures were staples, which resulted in a big ugly scar. My tummy-tuck removed it as the bottom incision went right below my old scar.

I had staples too and part of mine reopened so it didn't heal for 10 months so the scar is bad. I had a total proctocolectomy (colon and rectum out) by a colorectal surgeon so aesthetics was the least of his concerns.
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    okqce5kk2zhj.jpeg
    @VUA21 this is current the scar has faded dramatically!

it looks beautiful, it heal really well. I know you feel great they say don't toot your own horn but let me hear you say TOOT - TOOT lol
  • VUA21
    How does it feel looking at your own surgery like that? I'm not squeamish at all but is it different knowing it's you? Wild!

I like seeing what was actually done. Almost like an "oh, so that's why that area was so sore". I find it interesting.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    darla499 wrote: »
    I wish I could afford that! I've lost 185 and am 19 pounds from goal. Looking good!

I decided to save up bit by bit for my surgery. As I run more than anything else, I dropped my gym membership and cut a few luxuries out of my habit. I (slowly) saved up at the rate of about $50-100 a month. I also rewarded myself for each goal with a $20 into my savings. Just like weight loss taking time, but the end results can be massive, saving a little here and there ends up with the same results. Also, make it known that you want to save up for it, and instead of standard birthday or Xmas presents, request help to pay for it.

Do you mind sharing how much it cost? I want to have it done with some lipo -- I have some lower abdominal scar tissue that will require abdominoplasty to fix, and because it's cosmetic, my insurance won't cover it -- and have a guesstimate, but am trying to come up with a better ballpark as to what I need to save.

The total cost was just over $12,000. If you get a quote for substantially less, ask the cost covers the anesthesia, surgical center fees, and post-op consultantations and revisions. If it doesn't, ask how much those fees are. Any reputable and experienced will know. Also ask (demand really) to see thier credentials as a PLASTIC surgeon! A plastic surgeon is trained in plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. A cosmetic surgeon, might be a dentist with limited training on cosmetic procedures (RUN AWAY!!!!).

Remember, this is your body, don't ever go cheap (watch Botched) as bad results can often lead to higher costs in order to fix them.

Thank you! That's in the range of what I was thinking it would be. I figured it would be at least $10K.