August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    No run today, spent window for running stuck in traffic due to rain. Why do people forget how drive when it rains? It RAINS ALL THE TIME HERE. This is not like the south-west US or something. Grr.

Multiple accidents and stuff.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »

I used to think I was an introvert to the extreme but now I think I'm really close to the middle of the introvert-extrovert spectrum or possibly not very introverted at all. I am just shy in unfamiliar situations. (Shy but talkative... I'm just weird.)

I'm the opposite, usually think I'm extroverted to the extreme but am probably closer to the middle, toward extroverted. When I first meet people I'm usually reasonably quiet for the first 10 minutes or so, get the lay of the land, but once I get a sense of what people are like, the real me comes out. I'm definitely comfortable in a crowd, but hate being the center of attention. No issues talking to people one on one either (including strangers)

Good to see everyone going for it!

My ankle feels almost 100% - all the stretches and massage has made a HUGE difference. I'm contemplating going for a run Saturday (wednesday today) if things continue to be this good. I get the occasional twinge - not even a twinge just very mild discomfort to say yes this has been hurt - but no pain ATM. I miss it so much!

That said I chose an excellent week to take off, the weather has been appalling. its been blowing a gale, and torrential rain. I can do one but not both. So been kinda nice laying in bed at 5:30am listening to the rain on the roof and enjoying my warm snuggly bed.

Also I'm hoping our local sports shoe chain does a sale this weekend. If they do, Ill be going over Saturday to buy shoes and will run Sunday. If not Ill run Friday (very slow and gently) in my trusty pair and see how they go.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    "Of course, no one is entirely extroverted or entirely introverted. I am fairly far toward the introvert side of the scale, but I do need social interaction. Then I need cave time. Social interaction and cave time are the introvert's mental equivalent of exercise and recovery. Both are necessary, and too much of the exercise/social activity can lead to injury (mental breakdown). But 100% rest or 100% isolation slowly leads to long term problems. So I find a balance, both with running and with social activity." - @MobyCarp

Nailed it!!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq

Extroverted weight lifter: "I love going to the gym! I work out hard, see other people, it's great!"

Introverted weight lifter: "It's too much effort to go to the gym. I'm much happier with the weights in my basement. And they're paid for, no monthly fee!"

My observation: Free weights are not subject to technological obsolescence. The 25 lb. dumbbells I bought in 2005 still weigh 25 lbs. in 2018. In that respect, lifting is more economical than running; but I love running.

f7w5dgidhu52.png

YES!!!! THIS!!!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited August 2018
    Okay, answer a debate I have with a person in my running group. When running, the body diverts energy away from the digestive system and into our moving and working parts ( https://www.manhattangastroenterology.com/exercise-affects-digestion/ ). Does eating a small something during a long run really help?

I never eat during a run because it upsets my stomach. I wake up early and eat something small (toast, banana, etc) an hour before a long run. I bring a diluted energy drink in my hydration belt for runs over 10 miles. I did not eat during my marathon last December except for one orange slice at mile 21. A few people in my running group (not all) are telling me that eating helps. They try to sell me on that Gu and shotblock stuff. I have never found this to be true. Food takes a while to digest even when the body is at rest. Thoughts?