August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Okay, answer a debate I have with a person in my running group. When running, the body diverts energy away from the digestive system and into our moving and working parts ( https://www.manhattangastroenterology.com/exercise-affects-digestion/ ). Does eating a small something during a long run really help?

I never eat during a run because it upsets my stomach. I wake up early and eat something small (toast, banana, etc) an hour before a long run. I bring a diluted energy drink in my hydration belt for runs over 10 miles. I did not eat during my marathon last December except for one orange slice at mile 21. A few people in my running group (not all) are telling me that eating helps. I have never found this to be true. Food takes a while to digest even when the body is at rest. Thoughts?

Everyone is a bit different in this but in general yes.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Okay, answer a debate I have with a person in my running group. When running, the body diverts energy away from the digestive system and into our moving and working parts ( https://www.manhattangastroenterology.com/exercise-affects-digestion/ ). Does eating a small something during a long run really help?

I never eat during a run because it upsets my stomach. I wake up early and eat something small (toast, banana, etc) an hour before a long run. I bring a diluted energy drink in my hydration belt for runs over 10 miles. I did not eat during my marathon last December except for one orange slice at mile 21. A few people in my running group (not all) are telling me that eating helps. They try to sell me on that Gu and shotblock stuff. I have never found this to be true. Food takes a while to digest even when the body is at rest. Thoughts?

I think it depends on how fast you run ie whether your body is using glycogen or converting fat for energy. Also, I don’t think all your energy is diverted. Running in the heat is harder because blood and energy is being diverted to cool your body. So I imagine your body is still doing a bit of digestion.

Everyone is different though. The gu and blocks are quick energy sources- your body convert the simple sugar to energy quickly which is why your friends are pushing th.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq

Extroverted weight lifter: "I love going to the gym! I work out hard, see other people, it's great!"

Introverted weight lifter: "It's too much effort to go to the gym. I'm much happier with the weights in my basement. And they're paid for, no monthly fee!"

My observation: Free weights are not subject to technological obsolescence. The 25 lb. dumbbells I bought in 2005 still weigh 25 lbs. in 2018. In that respect, lifting is more economical than running; but I love running.

f7w5dgidhu52.png

YES!!!! THIS!!!

Absolutely! The running version would be something like -10 energy for running, -1000 every time I see someone approaching and my brain does the "should I acknowledge them or not/am I staring at them/are they staring at me/oh no they sort of blinked and I didn't acknowledge them do they think I'm rude" dance.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    RE: Introvert. I am Introvert with a side of shy. I only like talking to friends and family and even then it tires me. I loathe talking to strangers and I really hate when I have headphones in and people say hi or try to talk to me. No, just no.

RE: Food. I have to have gu for long runs. I typically use 2 during a half, depends how I feel. It definitely gives me a boost of energy. I can do 8-9 training miles without (except lately - heat) but despite being a more conservative racer I still go out harder than training runs.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

I never eat during a run because it upsets my stomach. I wake up early and eat something small (toast, banana, etc) an hour before a long run. I bring a diluted energy drink in my hydration belt for runs over 10 miles. I did not eat during my marathon last December except for one orange slice at mile 21. A few people in my running group (not all) are telling me that eating helps. They try to sell me on that Gu and shotblock stuff. I have never found this to be true. Food takes a while to digest even when the body is at rest. Thoughts?

You feel like death when you run out of glycogen. Your body can only hold up to 2 hours running worth of glycogen.

To feel less like death, you can start eating things on your run before then.

Your body can't give you all the energy in that food you eat running, but it's still better than none.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    August goal: 180 miles

Date................Miles............Total/Remaining
    8/1...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/2...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/3...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/4...................20.00............... 20.00/160.00
    8/5.....................5.00............... 25.00/155.00
    8/6...................Rest................. 25.00/155.00
    8/7.....................9.00............... 34.00/146.00
    8/8.....................5.50............... 39.50/140.50
    8/9.....................5.00............... 44.50/135.50
    8/10.................Rest................. 44.50/135.50
    8/11..................24.00............... 68.50/111.50
    8/12.................Rest.................. 68.50/111.50
    8/13.................Rest.................. 68.50/111.50
    8/14..................10.00............... 78.50/101.50

Upcoming Races:
    August 25, 2018 Bubble Run 5K (Pittsburgh, PA)
    October 20, 2018 Sinnemahone Ultra Marathon Trail Run 50K (Emporium, PA)
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    In church we’re supposed to ‘take a minute and greet people around you’ and I hate it. Forced socializing. I prefer being social on my own terms.

Funny thing about that... we do not do that at my church, in part because all the research that I have seen says visitor list it as their number 1 complaint when visiting a new church. I tend to agree with them. :)

L.p.
    Funny for me because I would classify as mostly introvert.(teaching is a very extrovert thing) but as much as I like pastor Vincent I could not attend a church where people didn't shake hands and greet each other. (No judgement here. It just wouldn't work as spiritual for me.)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Another introvert here (INTJ on the Meyers Briggs thingy). I love the fact that running is just me and my thoughts.

My worst nightmare is having to go to conferences and do those awful 'ice-breakers' or having to go on team-building exercises with my colleagues. At the last one, I was asked to give a presentation. I showed Susan Cain's 'the power of introverts' TED Talk.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    1---3.03 run
    2---8.72 mile mtn bike ride
    4---6.22 intervals
    5---8.06 hike
    7---3.31 intervals
    8---8.60 muddy trails bike
    11---5.27 interval run
    12---5.80 interval run
    14---4.02 interval run

Running.  35.7/85 miles
    Cycling. 17.3 miles

Upcoming Races
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    November 3rd Dinosaur Valley Endurance Run. Half. Glen Rose TX
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member

In a long slow easy run, I might not need a gel to run 12 or 14 miles. I'll take one at 6 or 7 miles anyway. My last 20 mile run, I took gels at 6.5 and 13.5 miles. I might have been okay with just one, or with none. Other runners report training themselves to run 10 or even 18 miles with no nutrition.

Here's the deal: My first pace leader, a multiple-time iron man, explained that you take gels (or Shot Bloks or whatever) on training runs in part to train your body to digest while running. Then when you get to the marathon or ironman tri, your body is used to what you trained with, digests it, and gives you the energy from the gel/blok/whatever in addition to however much energy you were able to store with carb loading. But if you don't train with eating, chances are that eating won't do you much good on race day.

So you train taking nutrition for several reasons:

- To determine what foods/products your body will accept.
    - To train your body to digest something while running, so you can keep running faster than an easy pace for longer.
    - So that when a gel that was never a problem in training *is* a problem on race day, it gives you a clue that there's something else going on. (Not that I've ever been smart enough to perceive that clue in real time during a race.)
    - So that on race day, opening the gel is a familiar activity that you can do at marathon pace and don't have to stop to figure out. (Don't underestimate this. The rain at Boston disrupted the normality of opening gels sufficiently that I took probably 2 fewer than I should have.)

All that having been said, every runner is a unique individual. Food does take a while to digest, even something like a gel that is engineered to be digested quickly. Some people have trickier digestive systems than others; if you're one of the lucky ones whose stomach is easily upset, you just have to figure out what works for you personally. It does you no good for me to say all brands of gels are about the same, if you can only take GU or only take Honey Stinger gels.
  • PastorVincent
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    In church we’re supposed to ‘take a minute and greet people around you’ and I hate it. Forced socializing. I prefer being social on my own terms.

Funny thing about that... we do not do that at my church, in part because all the research that I have seen says visitor list it as their number 1 complaint when visiting a new church. I tend to agree with them. :)

L.p.
    Funny for me because I would classify as mostly introvert.(teaching is a very extrovert thing) but as much as I like pastor Vincent I could not attend a church where people didn't shake hands and greet each other. (No judgement here. It just wouldn't work as spiritual for me.)

You miss understand. :) We are a very friendly church. You are likely to get hugged if you show up (not by me though!). What we do not do, is the fake ‘take a minute and greet people around you’ thing that many churches do. We let any interaction happen naturally and do not order it as part of the service.
  • PastorVincent
    Another introvert here (INTJ on the Meyers Briggs thingy). I love the fact that running is just me and my thoughts.

My worst nightmare is having to go to conferences and do those awful 'ice-breakers' or having to go on team-building exercises with my colleagues.

THIS!!!
  • PastorVincent
    All that having been said, every runner is a unique individual. Food does take a while to digest, even something like a gel that is engineered to be digested quickly. Some people have trickier digestive systems than others; if you're one of the lucky ones whose stomach is easily upset, you just have to figure out what works for you personally. It does you no good for me to say all brands of gels are about the same, if you can only take GU or only take Honey Stinger gels.

This. One runner I know could not finish a 5k because she had a milkshake 2 hours before - this is a woman that has run way longer races (from up through and including marathon) so it was not fitness, it was the diary.

I, on the other hand, probably could drink a milkshake in the starting corral and be okay. I have had milkshakes an hour or two before races and not had a problem.

So you need to test for yourself and see what works for you cause what works for me might now. :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    kcs76 wrote: »
    8/1 3.5 m
    8/2 Rest
    8/3 Rest
    8/4 3.5 m
    8/5 5 m
    8/6 Rest
    8/7 UP Rest
    8/8 3.5 m
    8/9 Rest
    8/10 2.5 m am run
    8/11 3 m
    8/12 UP Rest
    8/13 2 m
    8/14 1.5 m

Short distance after work last night and even shorter tonight. My shoes are on their last leg so today I thought hey I'll bust out those one shoes I don't wear and see how it goes. Yeah, there's a reason I don't wear them. Called it quits 1.5 m in because I could feel the blisters starting to form and walked home. Then I kettlebelled til I was too tired to be angry.

24.5/75

Upcoming Races:
    10/? 2 mile RACC Inauguration Celebration Run *maybe*
    10/28 Fitzy's Run 5k
    12/8 West Reading Run Santa Run 5k

Never mind! Sorry about your shoes, though.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member

This. One runner I know could not finish a 5k because she had a milkshake 2 hours before - this is a woman that has run way longer races (from up through and including marathon) so it was not fitness, it was the diary.

I, on the other hand, probably could drink a milkshake in the starting corral and be okay. I have had milkshakes an hour or two before races and not had a problem.

So you need to test for yourself and see what works for you cause what works for me might now. :)

This +1. I almost bailed out of my first full marathon because I ate too much that morning as suggested by a more experienced friend. "You'll get really hungry out there! Better eat some more," she said. Started feeling nauseous at 28km and nearly didn't make it. Couldn't eat a thing until nightfall.

Now I know that I'm one of those people who can either run or digest, not both. During longer trail runs, I eat sparingly and then walk for maybe a quarter hour coming out of the station.