August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    All that having been said, every runner is a unique individual. Food does take a while to digest, even something like a gel that is engineered to be digested quickly. Some people have trickier digestive systems than others; if you're one of the lucky ones whose stomach is easily upset, you just have to figure out what works for you personally. It does you no good for me to say all brands of gels are about the same, if you can only take GU or only take Honey Stinger gels.

This. One runner I know could not finish a 5k because she had a milkshake 2 hours before - this is a woman that has run way longer races (from up through and including marathon) so it was not fitness, it was the diary.

I, on the other hand, probably could drink a milkshake in the starting corral and be okay. I have had milkshakes an hour or two before races and not had a problem.

So you need to test for yourself and see what works for you cause what works for me might now. :)

This +1. I almost bailed out of my first full marathon because I ate too much that morning as suggested by a more experienced friend. "You'll get really hungry out there! Better eat some more," she said. Started feeling nauseous at 28km and nearly didn't make it. Couldn't eat a thing until nightfall.

Now I know that I'm one of those people who can either run or digest, not both. During longer trail runs, I eat sparingly and then walk for maybe a quarter hour coming out of the station.

I cannot eat dairy at all before a run, any run.
    I do have problems with low energy and dizziness though if I don't eat enough before even an easy run or during a long run. I had to try many things to find something I liked that liked me too. I can't tolerate GUs - they are too sticky, too sweet, too ugh! and whatever I do have I have to have water with it. I also found initially if I didn't chew whatever I had (Shotbloks, gummy bears, etc.) but let it dissolve slowly in my mouth I had less issues. These days I use SKRATCH Labs fruit chews, really soft fruity candy things but they have all the right ingredients. It could also be in the form of a hydration/energy powder added to my water. But it does come down to training your body to accept/use it as well as timing it for effectiveness (eating/drinking before you necessarily feel like you need it to keep your glucose levels up and steady). I have also had to train my body to eat after a run/race. For a long time I would go hours because I just couldn't eat - the very thought of eating anything made me nauseous.
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    August 1 - 20 km run
    August 2 - 9 km run
    August 3 - rest day
    August 4 - 16 km Harriers trail run/13 km water girl for football
    August 5 - 15 km Harriers trail run
    August 6 - 15 km run
    August 7 - 14 km run
    August 8 - 10 km run
    August 9 - 23 km run
    August 10 - rest day
    August 11 - rest day
    August 12 - 10 km club run
    August 13 - 23 km run
    August 14 - rest day
    August 15 - 10 km Hill Repeats

Total distance 178 km - goal 350 km.
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way, now I always carry bandaid sports bandages for blisters in my run belt. I stop when I feel a problem and put a bandaid on, because even walking back in shoes that aren't working will give me blisters for days.

Good advice. Yeah, I'm not going to be liking life the next few days. Hopefully my runners will hang on a little bit longer until I can replace them.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    August 1 – 5 miles
    August 4 – 9.2 miles
    August 6 – 6.2 miles
    August 7 – 8.1 miles
    August 10 - 6.1 miles
    August 11 – 11 miles (am); 4 miles (pm)
    August 13 – 4.47 miles
    August 15 – 5 miles
    54.1/125 miles

5 miles this morning brings me to 59.1 for the month. I need to get some additional morning/evening runs in to prepare for my upcoming relay.

I love GUs! Especially the chocolate ones! I know – I’m strange. I’m also one of those who can’t eat dairy even several hours before running. I think my body temperature gets so hot that it kind of curdles on my tummy. ☹ Like @shanaber, I also have no appetite until hours after a long run. Usually, the day after is when I’m starving.

@AprilRN10 – I have sock envy! I’ve got the Darn Toughs on my wish list in Amazon. Love Feetures and Smart Wool. I used to run in the Balegas but I got away from them for some reason which I can't recall now.

Anyone ever use Liquid IV? I tried it based on a recommendation of a trail running friend and it is pretty good. It dissolves well in water. I tried the Passion Fruit flavor.

Upcoming Races:
    September 1 – Iron Mountain 16-Miler
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    FueI: I switch from GU to Cliff Blocks because I found Gu to be a sticky mess. So far I have not regretted it. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    In church we’re supposed to ‘take a minute and greet people around you’ and I hate it. Forced socializing. I prefer being social on my own terms.

Funny thing about that... we do not do that at my church, in part because all the research that I have seen says visitor list it as their number 1 complaint when visiting a new church. I tend to agree with them. :)

L.p.
    Funny for me because I would classify as mostly introvert.(teaching is a very extrovert thing) but as much as I like pastor Vincent I could not attend a church where people didn't shake hands and greet each other. (No judgement here. It just wouldn't work as spiritual for me.)

For me the "turn around and greet someone" ritual is manufactured. Everyone knows we're only doing it because we have to, and for me it does more to highlight the unfriendliness of a group of people if everyone arrives and makes it to their seats without greeting anyone naturally, and then suddenly puts on a smile and wants to shake my hand on cue from the leader.

At our church its expected to come in, kneel and quite yourself in prayer upon arival. Not chit chat, or catch up on gossip. Some of you may recognize it as a catholic church where we do offer a greeting of " peace be with you" at the appropriate time. There's always time to catch up after service.

I'm introverted. Won't hold hands in church, do not want a hug, do not want eye contact, but I don't mind the opportunity to wish peace for my brothers and sisters. It's a genuine offering that I do wish them peace. I guess that is a different expectation from the greetings of "say howdy to everyone and play nice" prompt that can feel empty.

For a group of introverts, y'all are dang chatty! If you only moved your feet as much as you moved your fingers! Hahaha! I kid of of course!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Another introvert here (INTJ on the Meyers Briggs thingy). I love the fact that running is just me and my thoughts.

My worst nightmare is having to go to conferences and do those awful 'ice-breakers' or having to go on team-building exercises with my colleagues. At the last one, I was asked to give a presentation. I showed Susan Cain's 'the power of introverts' TED Talk.

Fellow INTJ although I sometimes fall into INFJ.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    In church we’re supposed to ‘take a minute and greet people around you’ and I hate it. Forced socializing. I prefer being social on my own terms.

Funny thing about that... we do not do that at my church, in part because all the research that I have seen says visitor list it as their number 1 complaint when visiting a new church. I tend to agree with them. :)

L.p.
    Funny for me because I would classify as mostly introvert.(teaching is a very extrovert thing) but as much as I like pastor Vincent I could not attend a church where people didn't shake hands and greet each other. (No judgement here. It just wouldn't work as spiritual for me.)

For me the "turn around and greet someone" ritual is manufactured. Everyone knows we're only doing it because we have to, and for me it does more to highlight the unfriendliness of a group of people if everyone arrives and makes it to their seats without greeting anyone naturally, and then suddenly puts on a smile and wants to shake my hand on cue from the leader.

At our church its expected to come in, kneel and quite yourself in prayer upon arival. Not chit chat, or catch up on gossip. Some of you may recognize it as a catholic church where we do offer a greeting of " peace be with you" at the appropriate time. There's always time to catch up after service.

I'm introverted. Won't hold hands in church, do not want a hug, do not want eye contact, but I don't mind the opportunity to wish peace for my brothers and sisters. It's a genuine offering that I do wish them peace. I guess that is a different expectation from the greetings of "say howdy to everyone and play nice" prompt that can feel empty.

For a group of introverts, y'all are dang chatty! If you only moved your feet as much as you moved your fingers! Hahaha! I kid of of course!

I prefer to communicate through writing. I like to gather my thoughts and lay them out.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 I like smartwool in the winter. For summer I'm finding I like the store brand ultra thin socks best.