Ancient Bone broth and the nutritional infi

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Bone broth is a trendy name for stock, which our grandparents made as a base for soups. It's not magic. Also, leaky gut is not a thing.

I can't help but doubt claims that someone (not you) has made "bone broth" for years -- if they really had, why are they calling it "bone broth"?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I had bone tablets as a child for calcium deficiency, but "powdered bone broth" sounds like you're just buying fancy stock cubes. Personally I'd just use Bovril.

Is that what that means? I was thinking it meant pulverized bones, not dehydrated stock. But I'm betting you're probably right.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    clsumrall1 wrote: »
    Powdered bone broth is about the collagen peptides and even though it has a protein profile it’s about the collagen benefits as a nutritional supplement. The research is become quite prolific over the last 35 years regarding topical collagen and ingested collagen

But wouldn't you take in enough collagen from a normal healthy diet anyway? I wouldn't imagine you'd need that big an amount that you'd have to spend money on posh stock cubes. Maybe just make some calf's foot jelly instead.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had bone tablets as a child for calcium deficiency, but "powdered bone broth" sounds like you're just buying fancy stock cubes. Personally I'd just use Bovril.

Is that what that means? I was thinking it meant pulverized bones, not dehydrated stock. But I'm betting you're probably right.

Pulverised animal bones is what chalk used to be made of, and it was given in tablet form to children with calcium deficiency. To pulverise bones at home you'd need to dry them out in an oven on low heat for about three days before grinding them (while presumably chanting "fee fi fo fum").
This discussion has been closed.