I need some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Okay. I'll be the unjaded voice of romance for a change. It is great that you finally got a chance to express your feelings and have them reciprocated. The feelings stirred up will settle again as time and reality march onwards.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You guys are awfully cranky. At least the ones that are so eager to answer anyway. I appreciate the feedback, it just doesn't need to be so snide and judgy.

you're new to MFP, aren't you? :laugh:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So, I have all this refreshed emotion again. It's not something I plan on acting out on, and I'm pretty sure she feels the same. To me it was "let me correct one thing I regret not doing while I have the chance". Was it the right thing to do? That's what I'm not sure about. Keep in mind this all happened less than nine hours ago, so I still really haven't processed it myself. Our lives were different because 20 years ago, both of us felt something, but never said it. Now, I don't know if I ever bring it up again, or reminisce more, or what. What if she's thinking the same thing and neither of us talk about it again, and we both want to. My head is a mess right now. Keep in mind the two of us are both happily married as funny as that sounds. I just don't know how to handle how much I care for K and always, always have. Does this even make sense?

Talk to your wife about your love for your old friend and desire to rehash it. If you can't bring it up to her then that is a sign there is something not good about all your thinking and reconnecting. Maybe go see a therapist to help work through your emotions instead before doing something.

IMO, If you guys had really had such a deep love you would have gotten together. Something held you back and maybe that was for the best. You made different choices. She made different choices. I would stop reminiscing and discussing what might have been with the person. You are where you are.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Does anyone have any advice for how to handle any potential awkwardness when I see her?? I'm not leaving anybody.

Sort of like with confidence, fake it until you make it.

ETA: By that I mean, pretend it isn't awkward until it isn't awkward anymore.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Does anyone have any advice for how to handle any potential awkwardness when I see her?? I'm not leaving anybody.

Sort of like with confidence, fake it until you make it.

ETA: By that I mean, pretend it isn't awkward until it isn't awkward anymore.

i agree, if you are going to see her regularly, you either fake normality or you avoid seeing her again for another 20 years
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I totally get the make peace with it thing. That is option one by a long shot. The thing is, we're still friends that see each other on occasion. I don't want that messed up either.

As far as it being 20 years, we still know each other. We've been friends since we were in diapers. Plus, there's other reasons, interests, etc that makes me 98% certain we'd be compatible. The reality of it is that there would be too many other lives destroyed trying to rekindle something old. I just wonder how to handle things going forward.

Why are you even considering compatability If you are married?!?! If you are tempted to persue more than a friendship with K. then get her out of your life. Spend your efforts building the relationship with your wife so you don't want to be with another.

I'm not tempted to pursue more. The comment I was quoting was under the assumption that we hadn't seen each other in 20 years, which wasn't true. My compatibility consideration took me about 3 seconds while I was typing it and not a long drawn out thought process. It was simply to say that we're not strangers to each other. Make sense?

Not at all.

Question...what are the consequences of your wife just reading this thread?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I totally get the make peace with it thing. That is option one by a long shot. The thing is, we're still friends that see each other on occasion. I don't want that messed up either.

As far as it being 20 years, we still know each other. We've been friends since we were in diapers. Plus, there's other reasons, interests, etc that makes me 98% certain we'd be compatible. The reality of it is that there would be too many other lives destroyed trying to rekindle something old. I just wonder how to handle things going forward.

Why are you even considering compatability If you are married?!?! If you are tempted to persue more than a friendship with K. then get her out of your life. Spend your efforts building the relationship with your wife so you don't want to be with another.

I'm not tempted to pursue more. The comment I was quoting was under the assumption that we hadn't seen each other in 20 years, which wasn't true. My compatibility consideration took me about 3 seconds while I was typing it and not a long drawn out thought process. It was simply to say that we're not strangers to each other. Make sense?

Not at all.

Question...what are the consequences of your wife just reading this thread?

There would be a lot of questions, I'm sure. She also wouldn't be nearly as rude about it.

You really need a thicker skin, where's the rudeness? Just because people seemingly still aren't giving you the responses you want?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Ermagerd EVERYONE who has been in a committed relationship for more than a few minutes has been tempted by the lure of the could have beens and what ifs. This is so far from a unique situation as to be laughably cliche. Connected with an old flame on Facebook? That never happens.
    She's on it.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Talk to a therapist or talk to nobody about this. Some things in life don't need to be shared or need strangers opinions. You know what you need to do, so do it. Real simple stuff.