Keto help

Options
I just started Keto 2 weeks ago and I am looking for any tips and food recommendation, especially on how to get your fat in. I need about 104 grams of fat a day and I have no idea how to fit this in. I'm allergic to all pork products so I'm limited to chicken, fush, and beef. I can't seem to tolerate fatty beef - I have GI upset. I was doing a shake for breakfast with coconut milk, whole milk plain Greek yogurt, pb2 powder, and coconut oil but it's too high in carbs to continue. Does anyone have any shake ideas thatbare high protein but low carb they can share? I prefer to drink my breakfast since I'm never hungry enough to eat a meal first thing in the morning. Thanks!

Replies

• jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    If you aren't tolerating fats well, why don't you just not do keto.

I'm good with coconut oil, olive oil, and veggie based oils but I found I can't eat beef fat without digestive upset. Can a person successfully do keto and not eat animal fat? I'm still learning. So far the diet has been the best fit for me with keeping me full and feeling my best. I don't feel good when I eat carbs. I feel draggy, achy, and sick anytime I have bread things
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat 100% of your fat goal, that's a maximum number not to go over not a minimum that you have to consume.

I do keto for migraine control, just keep carbs below goal, try get get your protein over goal, and let the fat fall wherever it falls.
  • jarelary4
    Options
    You don't need to eat 100% of your fat goal, that's a maximum number not to go over not a minimum that you have to consume.

I do keto for migraine control, just keep carbs below goal, try get get your protein over goal, and let the fat fall wherever it falls.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out all the keto particulars. I have migraines too- I had no clue keto helps with migraines!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    There are vegetarian keto members and I think they have a group maybe check in there (I know you are not vegetarian but they would have a ton of other ideas for non beef/pork options).

try here
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/127202-keto-support-group
  • jarelary4
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    There are vegetarian keto members and I think they have a group maybe check in there (I know you are not vegetarian but they would have a ton of other ideas for non beef/pork options).

try here
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/127202-keto-support-group

Thank you! I'll check it out.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Atkins shakes are good - low carb and taste great
  • jarelary4
    Options
    I'm also limited to 35 carbs this week but I'm starting slow- next week I'm aiming for 20 net carbs. Any tips on keeping to 20 or less carbs would be helpful. Thanks so much for the tips so far!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    jarelary4 wrote: »

I'm good with coconut oil, olive oil, and veggie based oils but I found I can't eat beef fat without digestive upset. Can a person successfully do keto and not eat animal fat? I'm still learning. So far the diet has been the best fit for me with keeping me full and feeling my best. I don't feel good when I eat carbs. I feel draggy, achy, and sick anytime I have bread things

Sounds like maybe you are gluten intolerant. You could try replacing bread with potato or rice and see how that works.

However, to achieve ketosis your carbs just have to be low, you don't need the fats to get there.
  • amurdock2412
    amurdock2412 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

help, I am doing Keto and went out to eat, go some greens and I didn't know they had sugar in them. My head is hurting, what do I do?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    help, I am doing Keto and went out to eat, go some greens and I didn't know they had sugar in them. My head is hurting, what do I do?

Take a Tylenol!

If you are doing keto to lose weight, one day where your macros are off is not a big deal, just live and learn. I believe you are more likely to get a headache or feel sick from an electrolyte imbalance (which is associated with sodium and potassium due to losing water weight in the beginning), not from eating a bit of unexpected sugar. If that's the case, make sure you are getting enough sodium and stay well hydrated.

Also, you might want to join the low carber group and learn more about what to expect: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    MCT oil is colorless and tasteless and I have it in my coffee. Eggs with cheese will get some fat in too. For lunch I have tuna or chicken salad mixed with a avocado. Some tree nuts can be good too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I just started Keto 2 weeks ago and I am looking for any tips and food recommendation, especially on how to get your fat in. I need about 104 grams of fat a day and I have no idea how to fit this in. I'm allergic to all pork products so I'm limited to chicken, fush, and beef. I can't seem to tolerate fatty beef - I have GI upset. I was doing a shake for breakfast with coconut milk, whole milk plain Greek yogurt, pb2 powder, and coconut oil but it's too high in carbs to continue. Does anyone have any shake ideas thatbare high protein but low carb they can share? I prefer to drink my breakfast since I'm never hungry enough to eat a meal first thing in the morning. Thanks!

I see your diary is open, but didn't see any entries other than today - if you log, we can take a look and give you specific suggestions.

How low carb do you want your bfast smoothie? Use protein powder, a non-carby liquid like coffee or whatever, and coconut oil. Bascially, "Bullet Proof" coffee plus protein powder.

Here's my bfast smoothie. I'm not keto - unflavored and unsweetened protein powder will have less carbs. I switched from coconut oil to shredded coconut because that was more satiating to me, but for you I suggest coconut oil.

eace2409a5746fd1c78e9e25ec245c5d.png
  • jarelary4
    Options

Sounds like maybe you are gluten intolerant. You could try replacing bread with potato or rice and see how that works.

However, to achieve ketosis your carbs just have to be low, you don't need the fats to get there.

Ok, thank you. I think I may be a bit intolerant of gluten due to the the crappy feeling I get after eating any bread after being without for almost 2 weeks. I know I'm feeling better since I started so I'm keeping it up. I got some Ghee and I'm going to try more avocados.
  • jarelary4
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I see your diary is open, but didn't see any entries other than today - if you log, we can take a look and give you specific suggestions.

How low carb do you want your bfast smoothie? Use protein powder, a non-carby liquid like coffee or whatever, and coconut oil. Bascially, "Bullet Proof" coffee plus protein powder.

Here's my bfast smoothie. I'm not keto - unflavored and unsweetened protein powder will have less carbs. I switched from coconut oil to shredded coconut because that was more satiating to me, but for you I suggest coconut oil.

eace2409a5746fd1c78e9e25ec245c5d.png

I just started charting my food today. I was getting into this slowly since I have a habit of dropping a diet soon after starting. I make too many changes and it feels too much like work and I wanted to be sure I stick to it this time. I actually had 24 net carbs today so i did pretty good! Next week I will aim for 20 net carbs. I did get protein powder today with only 1 net carb so I'm going to keep up the smoothies.
  • jarelary4
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    MCT oil is colorless and tasteless and I have it in my coffee. Eggs with cheese will get some fat in too. For lunch I have tuna or chicken salad mixed with a avocado. Some tree nuts can be good too.

Thanks!
  • jarelary4
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Take a Tylenol!

If you are doing keto to lose weight, one day where your macros are off is not a big deal, just live and learn. I believe you are more likely to get a headache or feel sick from an electrolyte imbalance (which is associated with sodium and potassium due to losing water weight in the beginning), not from eating a bit of unexpected sugar. If that's the case, make sure you are getting enough sodium and stay well hydrated.

Also, you might want to join the low carber group and learn more about what to expect: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Thanks for the insight! I'll check out the group.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hi @jarelary4 ! Check out coconut butter and/or avocados for the smoothies!