Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Supply & Human Future

Options

Replies

• SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    We're also helping, to preserve land for farming & thus our existence by building up rather than out, transforming flat roofs into gardens & cremation or donation, rather than the burial of our dead!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Peak population is not that far away. I think I’ll see it before I die.

Vertical gardens.
    https://www.iflscience.com/environment/china-to-get-vertical-gardens-in-2018-to-help-tackle-smog/

We were supposed to run out of food and fossil fuels a long time ago. I started seeing these predictions since the seventies.

What happened? The green revolution.

Farming looks quite a bit different than from my childhood, and it continues to be more sustainable and efficient.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Hey MFP,

Let's also discuss this topic casually,

Given our rapid reproductive growth as a society and it's projection to hit over 10 billion population in "x" ammount of time, and the rate of deforestation and the slaughter of animals and the vicious cycle that society is handcuffed too, does food run out at some point?

It's a finite world we live in.

It's like that movie Infinity Wars where Thanos has to kill 50% of the universe so that the rest can continue to live.

Or like INTERSTELLAR where food sources stop growing completely and all that's left was corn

Although unrealistic .... food security may not be a concern for our generations but certainly in the years to come given our patterns of consumption will become an inevitability. Does the younger generations then realize the mistakes of our forefathers and transition gradually into more plant based nutrition sources and divert more towards reinforcing our agricultural industries (we are already seeing a growing movement towards vegan and vegetarian diets based primarily for morality but also couple with health benefits)

I myself eat both (plant and animal) but the question does make you think about it.

What are your thoughts about food scarcity

Many years ago, governments charged food scientists with the task of making calorie dense foods full of preservatives for the reason you stated.

Now we deal with an obesity epidemic in places like Africa.

Extreme poverty worldwide has been reduced 50%. It took 5 years, once the UN determined it was one of their goals.

For all the negativity about pesticides, non-organic farming produces larger yields, which is why they did it in the first instance.

There are two things to consider that isn't directly related, but may give some insight:

Chernobyl and glass beach, North Carolina.

After the nuclear disaster in Chernobyl, the unihabitable land is thriving with wildlife 30 years later.

In North Carolina, a polluted beach that was a garbage dump had a clean up effort - the large applicances were removed, but the broken glass remained. The surf has smoothed over the glass over the years, turning it into jewlery quality stones covering the beach and creating a colorful landscape in the water which has attracted a large number of fish who now make glass beach their home. It is so beautiful, it is now a tourist attraction.

Three woos, and all I did was present facts. People don't like facts?

Even wonderful facts like the reduction in extreme poverty?

What is wrong with people?

Facts? Back your facts up. Start with the obesity crisis in Africa.

I'd also like to see the research on the obesity epidemic in Africa.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Another fact to consider. New land mass on Earth was created this summer. Within a decade, it is probable that life will be thriving there.

Land masses are created and destroyed on this planet just about every day... it's a very natural process. It is also a very slow process and the amount of land that is either created or destroyed is insignificant when compared to the amount of land that is currently in use.

Exactly, and there is already a lot more land for people to live. According to NASA, most people live on 1% of the Earth's land. Other studies are at 10%.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3389041/Where-world-lives-Map-shows-half-planet-s-population-lives-just-1-land.html

Are you saying the daily mail is one of your sources of info?

Sigh.
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Hey MFP,

Given our rapid reproductive growth as a society and it's projection to hit over 10 billion population in "x" ammount of time, and the rate of deforestation and the slaughter of animals and the vicious cycle that society is handcuffed too, does food run out at some point?

It's like that movie Infinity Wars where Thanos has to kill 50% of the universe so that the rest can continue to live.

Or like INTERSTELLAR where food sources stop growing completely and all that's left was corn

Although unrealistic .... food security may not be a concern for our generations but certainly in the years to come given our patterns of consumption will become an inevitability. Does the younger generations then realize the mistakes of our forefathers and transition gradually into more plant based nutrition sources and divert more towards reinforcing our agricultural industries (we are already seeing a growing movement towards vegan and vegetarian diets based primarily for morality but also couple with health benefits)

I myself eat both (plant and animal) but the question does make you think about it.

Many years ago, governments charged food scientists with the task of making calorie dense foods full of preservatives for the reason you stated.

Extreme poverty worldwide has been reduced 50%. It took 5 years, once the UN determined it was one of their goals.

For all the negativity about pesticides, non-organic farming produces larger yields, which is why they did it in the first instance.

There are two things to consider that isn't directly related, but may give some insight:

After the nuclear disaster in Chernobyl, the unihabitable land is thriving with wildlife 30 years later.

In North Carolina, a polluted beach that was a garbage dump had a clean up effort - the large applicances were removed, but the broken glass remained. The surf has smoothed over the glass over the years, turning it into jewlery quality stones covering the beach and creating a colorful landscape in the water which has attracted a large number of fish who now make glass beach their home. It is so beautiful, it is now a tourist attraction.

I'd also like to see the research on the obesity epidemic in Africa.

Hey MFP,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_Middle_East_and_North_Africa

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/21/obesity-africas-new-crisis

https://www.afro.who.int/health-topics/obesity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3721807/

You said Africa, not North Africa or South Africa. Both of these area are affluent.