The psychology of needing to eat until stuffed - a discussion

Options
I knew a few people here have struggled with this
I also know it's probably not an easy/simply/clean discussion... not if X then do Y.

But I also know there are some smart, thoughtful, experienced people here.
I also know that there is a HUGE wealth of experiences on the board. So I put this out there...

Does anyone have any insight on the psychology of "needing" to eat until stuffed? Not just until you are full or no longer hungry... but stuffed, maybe uncomfortably so. I've struggled with emotional eating in the past (and probably will continue to), but I've made significant progress on identifying the whys and creating new habits/responses. However, I continue to struggle with the need to eat until I'm stuffed. From what I've read here, many would suggest there are signs of an ED.

I do think it's a mental/psychological thing, rather than something physical, as it seems to be rooted more in something like instant gratification or satisfaction rather than anything bigger picture like calorie or nutrient needs. But aside from that, I'm not sure where to start looking/thinking about things.

So...
- thoughts?
- questions?

TIA.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have only this - if it's ED, eating beyond uncomfortably stuffed can be used as self-harm/punishment. But an ED diagnosis must be set on more solid grounds than just one or two "signs". So it can also be a reaction to deprivation over time (like extreme dieting or too strict rules growing up). Or my "favorite", learned from hundreds or thousands of meals with a mom so anxious to get her little kommodevaran to eat enough, that no kind or degree of pressure and emotional manipulation could be left untried.

Let's see...
    1. Self harm/punishment -- I don't think that's it. That's some of the emotional eating problems I've dealt with in the past (which will probably creep up again at some point), but this seems different.
    2. Reaction to deprivation -- hmmm. My initial reaction was no, that's not it as it's just as likely to happen during days/weeks of calorie surplus than it is deficit. However, thinking more finely... it could be related to shorter term deprivation/restriction (think IF eating patterns... long periods of fasting could be a trigger rather than weeks of low calorie intake triggering something).
    3. Conditioning or learned behavior -- I think there is some connection here to habitual behavior, but I think there is more to it than simply habit. I'll have ot think on that a bit more, though.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a biological built in feeling to stuff oneself to prepare for a future famine? Or maybe for pleasure comfort? Otherwise I am not sure.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Is it a control issue? Almost like "Nyah, nyah, nyah. I'll do what I want when I want. Screw you, diet/healthy lifestyle."?

I do have some of that in me, yes... but I don't think it's part of this conversation/scenario.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it has a lot to do with learned behaviors. A lot of kids are taught to clear their plates of the food they were served, or served themselves. Otherwise, it is considered wasteful and rude. Regardless if they aren't hungry, or had enough to eat. The other part of it (I'm assuming) has a lot to do with the reward control centers of the brain. That dopamine release when we eat something tasty. I know for me personally, that is where I struggle the most with overeating. If the food is really good, my brain gets stuck in a "YUM. MORE!" cycle. That is sometimes hard to break out of. Even though I know the consequences of overeating. (That heavy, bloated, blah feeling.)

This is absolutely part of it. I know that, but seeing it spelled out this way is helpful.

Yeah that happens to me....if I am loving what I am eating very hard to stop. I am trying to train myself to stop eating even if I still feel somewhat hungry...very hard to do and still does not feel right in some ways! I think for me I still have those all or nothing tendancies where food is concerned because for so long "tomorrow" was going to be a fresh start thus I would try and eat whatever stuff was in the house that I considered "bad", i.e. white bread, chips, etc. etc., so I would find myself eating non stop in order to purge the kitchen of "bad/tempting/triggering" food even though I was not hungry.
  • mhetzel1983
    mhetzel1983 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Intuitive Eating is a good book that details the many reasons why people overeat. It's very interesting. They mention many of the reasons stated in this thread. For me, it was emotional eating and response to deprivation. But there are lots of reasons people eat to that level of fullness.