Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blame the consumer or the corporation? Detoxifying Toothpaste

13»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    If you have a bunch of toxins in your mouth, drop the fancy toothpaste and call poison control.

*Thinking on making "detoxifying water"*, exactly like regular water, but comes in fancy bottles and costs $9.99/liter.

So you mean pH-water :wink:

No, no, no... ionized, fortified pH water... get with the program, woman!!! :smiley:

As long as it's gluten free, I'm not worrying about my pH water being fortified - I'm getting everything I need in my superfood green shake. But I'm going to have to google the benefits of it being ionized.

I don't know the supposed benefits myself, I just keep hearing this crap advertised on the radio in the mornings here lately.

Dammit, see now you made me actually google it. So ionizing the water makes it more alkaline, and more alkaline water pretty much cures and prevents EVERYTHING. So basically you are a sick loser if you aren't drinking ionized water. Maybe someone can ionize my gum detoxifying toothpaste and save my life :grimace:
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited September 2018
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    ...but is it gluten free?

Wait, that phase of consumerism has passed hasn't it?

I saw Italian Ice at Sam's Club that said Fat Free and Gluten Free on the box.

Found it on their website:

22vuqcmb4w1i.jpg

There's a shampoo ad at the moment where the "young cosmopolitan female" voiceover happily declares it to be gluten free. I wasn't aware they used flour in hair products. I roll my eyes every time it comes on.

Wheat (or wheat germ derivative) is sometimes an ingredient in salon brand shampoos. People sensitive to gluten generally try to avoid anything that could potentially get into the digestive tract by accidently getting in the mouth. "Natural" and "Artificial" flavoring can include gluten-derived ingredients. Sometimes things that seem over-the-top to people who don't have to avoid gluten can be a legitimate draw for people who have to be aware.

That said, I absolutely agree with your point. "Fat free" and "sugar free" etc. on items that are inherently "whatever free", or for instance have 3 ingredients and none of them is sugar or fat (which has to be listed on the label in the US anyway) are lucrative advertising tactics, and increase revenues either because the company is giving the consumer the option of buying 2 versions of the same product with the same ingredients, or charging more for the same product another company hasn't labeled as "whatever free".

eta: and don't get me started on brands that add caffeine to flavored water, and instead of "Brand Name Flavored Water" for $1.99 it becomes "POWER ENERGY DRINK" for $4.99.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Word.

How about the Vitamin Water with lower than RDA? You get more from a glass of tap water and a multivitamin.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    PS they are really selling Virtue water. I’ve gotten sucked in. When I’ve been particularly virtuous and I don’t want plain water, I’ll grab a Virtue water.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Word.

How about the Vitamin Water with lower than RDA? You get more from a glass of tap water and a multivitamin.

If a person has malabsorption issues there's a good possibility that getting vitamins in fluid form absorbs better than a pill which may or may not get broken down
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Word.

If a person has malabsorption issues there's a good possibility that getting vitamins in fluid form absorbs better than a pill which may or may not get broken down

Betting you can get liquid vitamins - children's, if nothing else - that are cheaper than the Vitamin Water.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Word.

Betting you can get liquid vitamins - children's, if nothing else - that are cheaper than the Vitamin Water.

Yes. I was not advocating for vitamin water just pointing out that taking multivitamins in pill form aren't necessarily the best choice for some people. I prefer getting mine through medical grade meal replacement shakes.