September 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Rest day today, lifted lower body and 1 mile walk on treadmill so I don't have soreness tomorrow. Run day tomorrow then upper body lift on Friday, and a 5k local race on Saturday to round out the week. Welcome to everyone joining us lately(been too many to keep up with), it is always inspiring to read from more people who are anywhere in there running journey. 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️💪
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq - your mom needs to want to improve things however if she mentions something that makes you think she is interested in getting in better shape make some 'gentle' suggestions for walks or joining a fitness group at the Y or a gym. When I was so frustrated about not losing weight my daughter made a suggestion that led to where I am now... (similar journey as @biketheworld, I just started a few years later in my mid 50's). You would be surprised at how much impact a little encouragement from our children can have on us! Maybe even talking to her about how you would love for her to get stronger so she can play with the grandkids soon :)

It really is about wanting it. She has gotten a bit more active over the last few months, and I've tried to make a couple gentle suggestions when she seemed open to it. Who knows, maybe something will stick. She's only in her mid-60s but she seems much older.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    @MegaMooseEsq - your mom needs to want to improve things however if she mentions something that makes you think she is interested in getting in better shape make some 'gentle' suggestions for walks or joining a fitness group at the Y or a gym. When I was so frustrated about not losing weight my daughter made a suggestion that led to where I am now... (similar journey as @biketheworld, I just started a few years later in my mid 50's). You would be surprised at how much impact a little encouragement from our children can have on us! Maybe even talking to her about how you would love for her to get stronger so she can play with the grandkids soon :)

It really is about wanting it. She has gotten a bit more active over the last few months, and I've tried to make a couple gentle suggestions when she seemed open to it. Who knows, maybe something will stick. She's only in her mid-60s but she seems much older.
    Yep I understand completely - I hope something clicks for her. I see so many others, including friends younger than me, who seem, look and act much older and it makes me so sad.

Welcome back to the challenge @rusgolden!
    @runsonespresso - I agree with @garygse - run the 6k and just have fun and enjoy!
    @PastorVincent - I want some of those wings! They are awesome! My DH were joking about how fun the bat wings would be for halloween!

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Welcome back @rusgolden!

Those are amazing @PastorVincent, but they look a little heavy. I'd need something more like a parasail tied to an elite to do the trick for me!

Wow @garygse you got me with the ticket lol Wouldn't that have been a kick in the teeth?

3:45 a.m. is dedication. I am sometimes awake at that hour, but I can't imagine being out of bed and/or running. And I'm a little jealous at how you feel comfortable outside at that time of day. My husband is the same. He actually prefers running in the dark. I prefer light and want people to be out and about.

Are any of you ladies running outside in the wee morning hours? Do you carry anything to make yourself feel safer? We have a pretty large homeless and drug-addicted population; a few have issues that make them unpredictable in an encounter. Not to mention the wild creatures: cougers, bears, coyotes, raccoons. . . . I have stuff for hiking: a whistle, a knife, first-aid stuff, and I keep meaning to get some bear spray, but I don't carry anything other than my phone on road runs.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @PastorVincent - I want some of those wings! They are awesome! My DH were joking about how fun the bat wings would be for halloween!

Just do not look at the price tag... it might ruin your fun dreams! :lol: