September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    So, why do non-runners buy running shoes?

Before I was a runner, I bought running shoes to walk in because they were more comfortable than what was marketed as walking shoes. I was totally clueless about the distinction between types of running shoe, and later learned that buying whatever model of Asics is cheapest wasn't a good strategy for me to buy shoes to run in.

As a fairly new runner, I once had identical models shoes for running (red) and walking (socially muted grey). Now, I have a different model for walking than for running, though I would consider a pair of Kinvaras for walking/social wear if I found them in a muted, non-garish color.

But the examples you gave are just plain weird. I kind of get the nurse who is looking for a magic bullet, but how can someone not realize that cleats are a bad idea for hard surfaces?
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that it's probably a mix of one or more of the following: marketing, fashion, a smattering of ignorance (not ignorance in a derogatory sense, more the 'is genuinely unaware' sense), and good intentions (I'm going to exercise, and spending this much money should motivate me, right?).

That being said, I'm similar to @MobyCarp in that my first pair of running shoes were for walking...and I made sure to tell the sales associate in the store that I wanted a pair specifically for that purpose. Before that, I just bought cheap sneakers for general use.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,032 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Thanks for the info. I'll definitely work up to a pace/mileage I feel comfortable doing before my walk breaks. It's slow, but steady that wins, right? Mentally, this method works for me. Even though I am probably capable of running for longer distances, thinking that I HAVE TO run without stopping just messes with my head. If I know it's okay to walk a little, I'm fine. I understand it isn't for everyone, but that's why running is such a great sport. There's no rule book. LOL
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - So how would you suggest I train for the 5K using the Galloway method? And how would I track my progress? By average pace? Sounds interesting but I am a little confused on how to start.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zerlinna87 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I can't remember if I posted in August at all, but I'm posting for September. Still running! I'm usually running 2 miles 2-3 times per week. Just wanted to check in and say hey!

Hi!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    My sept goal is simple: 5km! LOL (basically to be able to run at all). fingers crossed.

Great goal! Do you have a plan? You will need one of those. :) If not I suggest you look up "Couch to 5k" - many of us have used it with great success.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Before I was a runner, I bought running shoes to walk in because they were more comfortable than what was marketed as walking shoes. I was totally clueless about the distinction between types of running shoe, and later learned that buying whatever model of Asics is cheapest wasn't a good strategy for me to buy shoes to run in.

As a fairly new runner, I once had identical models shoes for running (red) and walking (socially muted grey). Now, I have a different model for walking than for running, though I would consider a pair of Kinvaras for walking/social wear if I found them in a muted, non-garish color.

But the examples you gave are just plain weird. I kind of get the nurse who is looking for a magic bullet, but how can someone not realize that cleats are a bad idea for hard surfaces?

I often wear my retired / worn out running shoes for walking / casual / shopping shoes. Usually, that works well if I retire from running by around 500 miles. I had a pair recently that I retired from running at 633 miles and they are seriously much more worn down. I started wearing them for day-to-day stuff and am pretty close to saying I should just go back to the pair I retired with fewer running miles. They are badly worn.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 1.65 miles
    9/2 - rest day
    9/3 - lifted
    9/4 - supposed to run but had a robotics league meeting for my son
    9/5 - lifted
    9/6 - 1.88 miles
    9/7 - lifted
    9/8 - nothing, rest day
    9/9 - 1.77 miles
    9/10- lifted
    9/11- nothing! Ahh I've been planning on running 3x a week but so far it's only been 2x.
    9/12- lifted
    9/13- 1.73 miles - week 5 day 1 of c25k

I guess fitbits aren't very accurate for measuring distance? I can run the same route multiple times and get different distances. I mean they're pretty close but not exactly the same. 1.88 vs 1.73 for example.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    my running store fits nurses and hairdressers. if they don't buy the shoes there, they at least know what sort of shoes they are looking for. i've seen them do an analysis of how they stand and walk. the nurses i know that have gone there have been very grateful
    the store has walking shoes, not just running shoes

good luck this weekend @JulieS3103 NF Endurance 10k
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo - So how would you suggest I train for the 5K using the Galloway method? And how would I track my progress? By average pace? Sounds interesting but I am a little confused on how to start.

@pudgy1977 Like others may have mentioned I would suggest a C25K - Couch to 5k plan. A simple google search will turn up various ones. Most of them work of a walk-run type pgm with slowly increasing the overall distance/time and slowly increasing the run distance.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    9/1 - 1.65 miles
    9/2 - rest day
    9/3 - lifted
    9/5 - lifted
    9/6 - 1.88 miles
    9/7 - lifted
    9/8 - nothing, rest day
    9/9 - 1.77 miles
    9/10- lifted
    9/11- nothing! Ahh I've been planning on running 3x a week but so far it's only been 2x.
    9/12- lifted

I guess fitbits aren't very accurate for measuring distance? I can run the same route multiple times and get different distances. I mean they're pretty close but not exactly the same. 1.88 vs 1.73 for example.

i think you need to set your stride length for the most accurate. my vivosmart is pretty accurate when i have the gps on
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    my running store fits nurses and hairdressers. if they don't buy the shoes there, they at least know what sort of shoes they are looking for. i've seen them do an analysis of how they stand and walk. the nurses i know that have gone there have been very grateful
    the store has walking shoes, not just running shoes

Yeah, that would make sense, but that's not what was happening yesterday. This was two very confused salespeople helping two separate people who were buying specialty running shoes despite the sales associates advising that the shoes were not appropriate for what they wanted.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    Ok - I said I wasn't going to try to catch up and now I have spent at least a few hours just reading... lol I have to know what you all have been doing/discussing here!

@RunnerGrl1982 - do you run along the beach? If I were In Santa Monica that is where I would want to run every day!
    I have a couple different routes I take to change things up, but for the most part, I do run along the beach. I can't ever complain about the view, especially since I'm always out before the sun comes up and I generally finish my runs as the sun breaks through. It's also kind of neat to run by the SaMo Pier before sunrise and see the colors change on the ferris wheel while I'm running. :smile:
    I love that pier! When my husband was in grad school we lived on Pacific St and would walk there in the afternoons and my mom used to go to ride the carousel when she was a little girl! I don't know if they have them anymore but a couple of years ago they also had some great concerts (Way Over Yonder festival) on the pier in the summer.

I have been thinking that I just need to drive down to the beach and run once a week or a couple of times a month, just to enjoy the view and fresh sea air!

That's awesome. Yeah, it's just a very nostalgic place. I adore it as well. They do still have a concert series every summer. I think it's called "Twilight on the Pier", and it takes place every Thursday night. There have been some mishaps as of recently, because so many people have been in attendance - they actually had to shut it down one evening. I think they're trying to find a balance of getting bands artists that people want to listen to but not over-run the pier in hazardous attendance numbers. It's just gotten overly popular regardless. Not sure what their plan is moving forward, but I have a feeling they may have to officially cap it at some point to curb issues.

If you're able to get away and head to the beach to run, I say go for it! I don't even notice the time passing me by, and that makes it enjoyable for my longer runs when my mental toughness may be waning. I'll just look out at the ocean and remind myself of why I'm out here and being grateful for the continued ability to run each day.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    9/1 - 1.65 miles
    9/2 - rest day
    9/3 - lifted
    9/5 - lifted
    9/6 - 1.88 miles
    9/7 - lifted
    9/8 - nothing, rest day
    9/9 - 1.77 miles
    9/10- lifted
    9/12- lifted

I found the GPS on my old Fitbit to be really off. My phone was more accurate so I stopped using the Fitbit. I used my phone for a while until I bought a watch with better GPS accuracy.