Replies

• missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Name: missperfectpitch
    Height: 5'4"
    Total weight lost: About 43 pounds
    Time it took to lose: 1 year and 2 months
    How long in maintenance: I hit my goal weight in the beginning of January 2018, but officially started maintenance in mid-March 2018 after figuring out my calories for a couple of months.
    Maintenance weight range: 108-111.5

Average weight recorded from January: 110.6
    Average weight recorded from February: 109.5
    Average weight recorded from March: 109.0
    Average weight recorded from April: 109.1
    Average weight recorded from May: 109.3
    Average weight recorded from June: 109.7
    Average weight recorded from July: 110.1
    Average weight recorded from August: 109.7

Week of...
    September 1: 110.3 (trend 109.8)
    September 8: 110.1 (trend 110)
    September 15: 110.7 (trend 110.4)
    September 22: 110.7 (trend 110.5)
    September 29:

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: My weight was up most of this week, probably because of a couple of high sodium meals I made making me retain a ton of water. Dropped some water weight for today's weigh-in, so not stressing about it too much. I'm hoping that my weight will stay down this coming week.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Name: It's ME!
    That leads to a question for y'all; how did you set your goal weight range, and did you revise it up/down after that? If so, why did you revise it? Thanks for the feedback!

I originally set my goal weight to the middle of my healthy BMI range, since that was the weight I was able to maintain for years while I was cycling regularly and had a 20 minute commute to work. I gained about 35 lbs. when I moved (a lot) further away about 15 years ago, and took on a ridiculously long commute and cut way back on my riding and activity in general. When I got to that weight last year I found that being considerably older and not as strong, my original goal weight was now too heavy to do the type of cycling I wanted to do. I set a new goal 15 lbs. lighter at the bottom of my healthy BMI and I've been maintaining for about 6 months. The lighter weight is making a noticeable difference in my cycling, so I plan to stay here. If/when I have to cut back my activity, I'll probably go back up 10 lbs. or so in order to be able to continue eating the extra calories.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,338 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    That leads to a question for y'all; how did you set your goal weight range, and did you revise it up/down after that? If so, why did you revise it? Thanks for the feedback!

I originally set my goal weight to the middle of my healthy BMI range, since that was the weight I was able to maintain for years while I was cycling regularly and had a 20 minute commute to work. I gained about 35 lbs. when I moved (a lot) further away about 15 years ago, and took on a ridiculously long commute and cut way back on my riding and activity in general. When I got to that weight last year I found that being considerably older and not as strong, my original goal weight was now too heavy to do the type of cycling I wanted to do. I set a new goal 15 lbs. lighter at the bottom of my healthy BMI and I've been maintaining for about 6 months. The lighter weight is making a noticeable difference in my cycling, so I plan to stay here. If/when I have to cut back my activity, I'll probably go back up 10 lbs. or so in order to be able to continue eating the extra calories.

Thanks for your comments! That's sort of how I started with a goal weight range, but it wasn't necessarily at the midpoint of healthy BMI. But that depends on how BMI is calculated.

If my goal weight was right in the middle of healthy BMI (i.e., BMI about 21.7), my goal would be much LOWER (i.e., about 137 pounds instead of 145). I'm currently at the upper end of the healthy BMI range at about 23; I was down around 22.6 in July and August when I was at my goal weight.

I have seen the the Smart BMI calculator referenced here, and I had also stumbled upon it independently. If I use that calculator, my SBMI is 34/70, which oddly enough is pretty much just below dead center of the normal weight range (SBMI 30 to 39). This still leaves me scratching my head as to where a realistic healthy goal should be.

I have a scale that provides some other body composition data from bio-electrical impedance. I don't really believe those numbers, but it suggests my body fat % is fluctuating at or just above 20 with a recent jump. It was allegedly up at or above 23% when I started my journey, so the trend is encouraging. My long term goal was to get body fat below 17%, BMI below 23, and weight just a few pounds below where I am now.

So thanks again for the way you set YOUR goal and then revised it. I need to remember it's a journey. It's ok if I stop for while to take in the attractions; I'll be continuing on the path when the side show is over. Sorry for the terrible analogy.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Thanks for your comments! That's sort of how I started with a goal weight range, but it wasn't necessarily at the midpoint of healthy BMI. But that depends on how BMI is calculated.

If my goal weight was right in the middle of healthy BMI (i.e., BMI about 21.7), my goal would be much LOWER (i.e., about 137 pounds instead of 145). I'm currently at the upper end of the healthy BMI range at about 23; I was down around 22.6 in July and August when I was at my goal weight.

I have seen the the Smart BMI calculator referenced here, and I had also stumbled upon it independently. If I use that calculator, my SBMI is 34/70, which oddly enough is pretty much just below dead center of the normal weight range (SBMI 30 to 39). This still leaves me scratching my head as to where a realistic healthy goal should be.

I have a scale that provides some other body composition data from bio-electrical impedance. I don't really believe those numbers, but it suggests my body fat % is fluctuating at or just above 20 with a recent jump. It was allegedly up at or above 23% when I started my journey, so the trend is encouraging. My long term goal was to get body fat below 17%, BMI below 23, and weight just a few pounds below where I am now.

So thanks again for the way you set YOUR goal and then revised it. I need to remember it's a journey. It's ok if I stop for while to take in the attractions; I'll be continuing on the path when the side show is over. Sorry for the terrible analogy.

I feel like finding your sweet spot with your maintenance weight can be a lot of trial and error, especially if you're not starting out with a reference from the past of a weight that was comfortable and maintainable. Healthy weight ranges can be 20 - 25 lbs. or more between top and bottom of the scale, people have different body shapes and looks that they want to achieve, specific activities may be optimized at specific weights - the list goes on!