Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Awards" Rant

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Some people find these kinds of things motivating, I suppose. This "gamification" is a pretty standard thing in digital life nowadays. MFP gives you a digital high-five when you log in for a certain number of days straight. Heck, I'm almost kind of proud of some of my untappd "badges", including the "Extraordinary" badge for 1000 unique check-ins:
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Regarding 9 AM: When I was in grad school I'd routinely stay up working until 2-3 AM and then sleep in well past 9. Of course, you can argue that a PhD student isn't a "normal functioning adult". ;)

1169 as of today :)

Love Untappd!

do we need to start a MFP untapped club :) i'm laggin behind you guys - i just joined

Done!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/128596-untappd-beer-lovers-of-mfp

I can't join. I hate beer :sad:

Same. Shall we go for margaritas, @pinuplove?

Sign me up! I just want to belong :cry:

You guys can launch Uncorkd.

Looks a bit too much like something else no guy would ever want to join.

Although.... :tongue:

This guy is in

jiuzccohyzs9.png

Edit - I have no idea who this is. This was the #3 image result from my google search "ultimate beta male"

I was wondering. My education is lacking on current social figures, so I just figured it was somebody I should know but didn't.

:lol: Same here!

ETA now I wonder what the first two images were...
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    They are organizing a step challenge at work, Some of my group was going to do it so I took a look. It involves measuring steps with a tracker or phone app. Since I don't have a tracker, I looked at the recommended phone app.

When I looked at the app, this "challenge/award opportunity" came up. WTF, some app developer feels the need to "award" adult behavior (2nd or 3rd shift workers not included in this rant)?

For what it's worth, developers just write what the spec tells us to. There was a product manager, a designer, and a graphic artist involved in this decision.

If they'd had a Business Analyst, they'd have discovered the actual need the app could meet and developed towards that instead.

*Steps off soapbox

(Yes, I'm a business analyst lol)

Just to point out, there has been analysis that finds in a lot of spaces the "gamification" of these kinds of rewards does lead to higher user engagement #s. You can find examples in this very thread.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    They are organizing a step challenge at work, Some of my group was going to do it so I took a look. It involves measuring steps with a tracker or phone app. Since I don't have a tracker, I looked at the recommended phone app.

When I looked at the app, this "challenge/award opportunity" came up. WTF, some app developer feels the need to "award" adult behavior (2nd or 3rd shift workers not included in this rant)?

For what it's worth, developers just write what the spec tells us to. There was a product manager, a designer, and a graphic artist involved in this decision.

If they'd had a Business Analyst, they'd have discovered the actual need the app could meet and developed towards that instead.

*Steps off soapbox

Just to point out, there has been analysis that finds in a lot of spaces the "gamification" of these kinds of rewards does lead to higher user engagement #s. You can find examples in this very thread.

There's a reason why people in the tech industry limit themselves and their children to gamification exposure, especially around social media.

I'm disappointed that no one has used this in a positive way to influence behavior. When Microsoft began to realize the power behind their Xbox Achievement point system there was a speech about this on how societies could do this. I cannot remember the speaker or the event, but the point was astounding.

Join a carpool - 10 pts.
    Maintain a healthy weight - 20 pts.
    Exercise 30 mins - 10 pts.

Governments could use this as a carrot to influence behavior where a certain amount of points is rewarded with recognition, tax benefits, etc.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

*Steps off soapbox

Oh, I'm aware of that. But just a guess, for this particular app, it would likely be more useful for the user if the app was dynamic enough to be adjusted for their schedule. A generic wake up time of 9 am is likely not applicable to most.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd, I just signed up with my husband's health insurance app which I am REQUIRED to do or be charged extra, which is really irritating. Anyway, they have stuff like that. One of my "missions" is to work out for 2 minutes per day. That's not a typo - TWO. I don't do any of this stuff, you just have to sign up and turn in your biometric screening, the rest is optional for "rewards."
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

*Steps off soapbox

There's a reason why people in the tech industry limit themselves and their children to gamification exposure, especially around social media.

I'm disappointed that no one has used this in a positive way to influence behavior. When Microsoft began to realize the power behind their Xbox Achievement point system there was a speech about this on how societies could do this. I cannot remember the speaker or the event, but the point was astounding.

Join a carpool - 10 pts.

Governments could use this as a carrot to influence behavior where a certain amount of points is rewarded with recognition, tax benefits, etc.

Hey. Some of us Canadians can do this. There is an app called Carrot rewards that gives rewards (Air miles, Save on Food points etc.). It's only in some provinces and does not play well with Garmin so I don't use it. But if I carried my phone everywhere I went I could get a benefit, underwritten by the provincial government.

There is a thread around here somewhere on this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Since it seems optional to choose this challenge/reward in that app I wonder how many are doing it? I wonder why they selected 9 am?
    I could see a dumb reward thing like that maybe helping someone who is a bit depressed or who struggles to maintain routines. Sometimes little things can help someone feel like they did one thing so maybe they can do more. I've seen advice encouraging depressed people to make their beds every day to help them. That is something many would not think was a big deal to do. Maybe this is similar. What is nothing for some adults is an accomplishment for others.

I wake up most days by 7 am without an alarm clock without a reason to be awake at any particular time of day. I've struggled with insomnia and have gotten 8 hours of sleep a few nights this week at last. I'd like the sleep tracker I am using to help me celebrate this minor accomplishment of sleeping all night with a dumb "reward" but it does nothing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

*Steps off soapbox

Join a carpool - 10 pts.

Government could just plant a chip in your *kitten* to monitor those things. Send results directly to the IRS.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Since it seems optional to choose this challenge/reward in that app I wonder how many are doing it? I wonder why they selected 9 am?
    I could see a dumb reward thing like that maybe helping someone who is a bit depressed or who struggles to maintain routines. Sometimes little things can help someone feel like they did one thing so maybe they can do more. I've seen advice encouraging depressed people to make their beds every day to help them. That is something many would not think was a big deal to do. Maybe this is similar. What is nothing for some adults is an accomplishment for others.

I wake up most days by 7 am without an alarm clock without a reason to be awake at any particular time of day. I've struggled with insomnia and have gotten 8 hours of sleep a few nights this week at last. I'd like the sleep tracker I am using to help me celebrate this minor accomplishment of sleeping all night with a dumb "reward" but it does nothing.

It's a hook. Something achievable by most people so the barrier to engagement is low, and once you're "caught" you're more likely to do more, and probably even enter a compulsion loop where you want more and more of that gratification, except tasks are now harder to achieve so you need to work harder. Having put effort into it, you're less likely to leave.

Or you're an outlier like me and decide it's an incredibly stupid waste and get turned off from the app.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmin Connect added a "badges" feature a while ago. A lot of them are real easy to earn. Go for a gravel ride, a run, etc. Everybody has a key a few badges. Comment on a challenge, create a segment, etc, to get folks using that aspect of their system. I think they're doing it to compete against Fitbit on "social."
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    My first fitness tracker tried to give me awards for waking up on time. I turned that feature off pronto! I am not a product of the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality, and a program rewarding me for doing what I've done on my own since I was 13 isn't motivating.

ETA also, 9am? Is that really some kind of achievement? I've been up for 3 hours chasing kids off my lawn by then :laugh:

Right?! #AdultingIsHard

I live next to a school. The struggle is real!

I am 42 and going back to school full-time, I'm surrounded by children (young enough to be my child = children), and live 1 block away from a middle school. Sometimes I truly understand the guy with the chainsaw vs college/high school kids in cheesy horror movies.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I could have used that app and that award when I was a child, and it was the holidays.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

It's a hook. Something achievable by most people so the barrier to engagement is low, and once you're "caught" you're more likely to do more, and probably even enter a compulsion loop where you want more and more of that gratification, except tasks are now harder to achieve so you need to work harder. Having put effort into it, you're less likely to leave.

Or you're an outlier like me and decide it's an incredibly stupid waste and get turned off from the app.

That's why these kinds of apps advertise towards the majority but try to accommodate the outliers by presenting other choices of challenges. Judging by the number of people who joined, it's working.

Personally, I like badges because they are fun and I'm a "collector". I don't like challenges because unless I'm already doing or planning to do something, joining a challenge will make me do the opposite just because. I have a character flaw in that I value my autonomy above all else. I would join this challenge to collect the badge, though.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

That's why these kinds of apps advertise towards the majority but try to accommodate the outliers by presenting other choices of challenges. Judging by the number of people who joined, it's working.

Personally, I like badges because they are fun and I'm a "collector". I don't like challenges because unless I'm already doing or planning to do something, joining a challenge will make me do the opposite just because. I have a character flaw in that I value my autonomy above all else. I would join this challenge to collect the badge, though.

Just personally can't understand a "challenge" and "awards" for something with a level of difficulty just above breathing for a healthy individual.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

*Steps off soapbox

Join a carpool - 10 pts.

Government could just plant a chip in your *kitten* to monitor those things. Send results directly to the IRS.

I suspect Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. are already doing this...and we have essentially bent over.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

*Steps off soapbox

Join a carpool - 10 pts.

I suspect Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. are already doing this...and we have essentially bent over.

And they forgot the lubricant.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Just personally can't understand a "challenge" and "awards" for something with a level of difficulty just above breathing for a healthy individual.

Dopamine.