Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto Diet Debate

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Keto Diet.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    JenMull44 wrote: »
    I have been on KETO for five weeks and have lost 16lbs so far. I do 35-40 Carbs a day as I do not want to rush the process and give up everything. Once you figure out what macros will put you in Ketosis, and ensure you are in a calorie deficityour on your way to losing weight.

Fixed it for you.

You really feel the need to edit the same persons post in two different threads and say "Fixed it for you"

If it helps clarify for that poster, and others reading along, what the true driver of the weight loss is (calories) so they avoid the delusion that they can’t gain weight if in ketosis... then yeah.

To be fair I didn’t notice it was the same poster, there are an awful lot of exited new keto followers these days on the boards...

I don't think any keto people think that eating to a calorie surplus will cause weight loss. At least I haven't met any so yeah you have a point. I feel that keto way of eating has two keys that some people find helps. One is the reduction of carbs and the cravings that some feel come with them. The other is the way carb calories get replaced by fat calories. The feeling of not being controlled by hunger is great. Anyway I am lucky because I don't count calories, I don't log and I eat til I am full. If that also works out to be a deficit so be it and yes if I gain then I will need to modify. There are many other things in the keto way of eating that don't fall into the weight loss category I like but no need to go there now.

There have been several in the last few months who were very vocal and have insisted that they could eat as many calories as they wanted (over and above maintenance) and as long as they ate keto they would still lose weight. That is why the clarification is need.

If they can eat keto to a calorie surplus and lose weight I would be impressed. Me, I am too lazy to actually count but I feel as though I am eating more. The emphasis is on "feel". I think that if it could be proven that a keto diet with a calorie surplus would result in weight loss we would have seen it documented by now.

This sounds like you think there’s a possibility, however remote, that a person could potentially eat at a calorie surplus, and as long as following a keto diet, then they wouldn’t gain weight. Is that true?0

No I don't think that, the math just doesn't work. I don't even know how to create a fantasy where a calorie surplus exists and an extra fat burning reaction depletes the body of more than the surplus of extra calories. They sell pills like that on TV but keto won't do it. I just would let them believe what they like but at the end of the day you are either gaining , maintaining or losing weight. I can see why they "believe" it and that okay.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    JenMull44 wrote: »
    I have been on KETO for five weeks and have lost 16lbs so far. I do 35-40 Carbs a day as I do not want to rush the process and give up everything. Once you figure out what macros will put you in Ketosis, and ensure you are in a calorie deficityour on your way to losing weight.

Fixed it for you.

You really feel the need to edit the same persons post in two different threads and say "Fixed it for you"

If it helps clarify for that poster, and others reading along, what the true driver of the weight loss is (calories) so they avoid the delusion that they can’t gain weight if in ketosis... then yeah.

To be fair I didn’t notice it was the same poster, there are an awful lot of exited new keto followers these days on the boards...

I don't think any keto people think that eating to a calorie surplus will cause weight loss.At least I haven't met any so yeah you have a point. I feel that keto way of eating has two keys that some people find helps. One is the reduction of carbs and the cravings that some feel come with them. The other is the way carb calories get replaced by fat calories. The feeling of not being controlled by hunger is great. Anyway I am lucky because I don't count calories, I don't log and I eat til I am full. If that also works out to be a deficit so be it and yes if I gain then I will need to modify. There are many other things in the keto way of eating that don't fall into the weight loss category I like but no need to go there now.
    You're kidding right? This kind of things gets posted all the time and the post in question is an example. You may realize it isn't true but lots think it is.

Same thing happens on both sides. People post how they are having success with a way of eating and it will be followed by a its only CICO that matters. Different ways of eating are everywhere and it is difficult to say which one is better or worse. If someone could truly eat at a calorie surplus and lose weight on keto then after the calorie math is done, there would be some freaking crazy metabolism going on. Which I doubt.

Of course if one eats at a true surplus on any WOE they are not going to lose weight.

I find myself not believing I am in deficit by they way I feel and eat but you are correct, if I lose I am.