Please be honest.....

Options

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Having lost 80lbs in the past. I would think of that person as an inspiration. I would be so proud of them and i would feel more comfortable talking to them instead of the skinny fit people.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I would think ...You go Girl! :glasses:
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't want a personal trainer who HASN'T been through every single step that I have been through. Who DOESN'T know what it's like to be fat and sick of it. Who knows how hard it is, but has done it, and now helps others to do it.

And what better place to learn the skills that you need than an actual course. No bull***t, just facts and advice.

I'd be scared going in to the class, but I'd feel so much more confident coming out knowing that I'm equipped with the skills and knowledge to make me a better me. Go for it!!

100% agree with this post!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I remember walking into my first Zumba class. I weighed 230 pounds and have all the rhythm and grace of a tazmanian devil on crack! I was terrified! So the class starts and 3 moves in I went right instead of left...and promptly burst out laughing.
    Well, by the end of the class my sides hurt from laughing at myself. I apologized to the teacher at the end and she said I teach this class for women like you! So I kept going. Within a couple weeks everyone in class knew which moves and dances I hated and would call out to me when they were coming up. One of the songs she did was called Breaking Dishes. Man it sucked. It was all raised arm movements and circles...I could never get through it without dropping my arms for a break. One of my last classes I managed to NOT take a break. My teacher had been watching me the entire time....when the song was over the entire class turned and cheered for the fat chick who finally did it!

So yeah...do it! You will be surprised and pleased at the support you will get
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Number one, don't worry about what other people think - are they going to get healthy for you? No.

Second, if you want to wait until you're in better shape, how does that really help? The sooner you get started with being serious, the better.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but the best thing to do is to start and realize it is your health - who cares what other people think.

If you are worried about what other people think, look at it this way. If someone sees an overweight person walk into a fast food joint, they may think negatively; if they see an overweight person walk into a fitness place, I think they will think that someone is trying to get their life in order.

Exactly! Go for it! Better yourself...and then help others! Go for it! I can totally understand your feelings....I may feel simular...but seriously, it will better you! Who cares what others think.....allthough if they have the right mindset...they will be happy and positive you are there!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Here is the litmus test I tell my children to remember when criticised:
    1. do those people mean anything to me?
    2. do they know what they are talking about?
    3. is there any truth in it?

After applying those rules, you usually have put the criticism in perspective. Go for it, enjoy and improve you life, it's the only one you get!

GG
    love this litmus test.
  • change_happens
    Options
    If you saw a person who is overweight walking into a personal training or fitness theory course at your local gym, what would you think?

I am asking because a friend of mine has asked me to join her in taking this class. I am very interested in fitness and am trying my best to get into shape again. I just feel like everyone else in the class will be super fit and I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.....I dont want to feel embarressed. A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.

You thoughts are welcome....

You want honesty? Here is the honest truth... nobody really cares! Seriously! I used to work at the YMCA and we would be so happy that someone who needed to get the weight off was actually taking the first step. We would actually give them incentives, like extra family passes (I would anyway *smile*).

I was always happy to see people and would actually make it known that I would work out with them. I know it is awkward going some place where others appear to be in perfect condition, but everyone had to start somewhere. YOu may feel like they are staring at you, even whispering behind your back, but for the most part the majority of people are there for the same reasons you are. just stay focused on yourself and do the best that you can. If you don't feel comfortable going to the gym, continue to do what you can at home. Knock off some pounds, get comfortable and then head on in.

I wouldn't really worry about the jerks who do have something to say, they are just showing their own insecurities. Focus on you!
  • FattySins
    Options
    You know, it is sooo annoying when a naturally stick thin person tells you which way is best to lose weight. They've never been there, done that. Never struggled with slow metabolism and emotional eating and trying so so hard and not getting anywhere, being fat as a part of genes and fighting constantly against it, doing more damage than good by extreme dieting. They were born that way, and some think it somehow gives them superior knowledge, and nullifies all your effort.

If I was to look for a personal trainer, I'll pay a lot more for someone who can show me the way through experience and knowledge gained by more than just books or sheer luck. Please go for it, even if you feel embarrassed, keep it to yourself and join the class as if it was created just for you. I really hope you do it, and enjoy every step of the way.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    id be happy for them that they were making an effort to get fit.

Thats if i thought anything at all. Tbh, they would probably blend into the crowd as you get people of all shapes and sizes normally
  • darlenewanamaker
    darlenewanamaker Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you saw a person who is overweight walking into a personal training or fitness theory course at your local gym, what would you think?

I am asking because a friend of mine has asked me to join her in taking this class. I am very interested in fitness and am trying my best to get into shape again. I just feel like everyone else in the class will be super fit and I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.....I dont want to feel embarressed. A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.

You thoughts are welcome....
    I Think you should not be discouraged about it, just do it.. or at least try..
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I say go for it!

Life is too short to have regrets and if you are considering it then deep down you must want to go along. Just think how you'll be able to put all that knowledge to good use and get the body you always wanted that much quicker! And you'll feel great learning too.

Don't worry about what people think; I bet half of them will be just as nervous as you are for their own reasons and insecurities. Honestly, life is too short, so just go for it if! And best of luck :-)

x
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had the same sort of fears when I bit the bullet, got a trainer and started spending quality time at my local gym. The simple answer is that no one will likely pay much attention to you. The one thing I learned about the gym is that pretty much everyone is there to work on their bodies, not worry about other people. I'm sure there were some people who did a double take when they saw the fat, sweaty guy killing himself on the treadmill but I didn't have time to notice or care. I was 34 years old before I really spent any time in a gym but I soon felt somewhat comfortable. Well, as comfortable as one can feel in a torture chamber, that is. . .
  • Bel811
    Bel811 Posts: 38
    Options
    You would be surprised on how your feelings will change once you enter the class.

Within saying that though, I do 5 group sessions a week and 1 Personal training session, and in the group training sessions there are all different body shapes... BUT we often get newbies join us... the latest one was a slim young girl... who looked around the group and scoffed... thinking "how hard can this be" ...within the first 20 minutes she was in the garden sick ...

So don't be but off with the size of others, you will be surprised that you may actually have more ability... do what you an do ... ALSO use that incentives to keep going back and pushing yourself more and more ....

We all have to start somewhere !!

You can do it ...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    its interesting how so many people have it in there head that someone has to "be" something to know a lot about it. certainy this may be the case in somethings but not everthing.

there is nothing to say that you need to be fit and healthy to know how to be.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for it. If I saw someone who was overweight going into the class I would think "Huh, wonder how I could get into a class like that too?"
    This is the exact reason why I hate gyms. The whole reason anyone goes to the gym is to get healthy, but people who need to go to the gym feel intimidated b/c its filled with skinny/fit people who may or may not give them dirty looks.
    F*** em!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Any time I see someone learning about fitness or nutrition or anything that's going to help them and their families live a little bit longer, and a little bit healthier, I smile, because it makes the world a little bit better.

Any time I see ANYONE at a gym, sweating, struggling, for any reason, I smile, because it means we're in the same boat - no matter how heavy or light we are.

I see someone running along the side of the road, and I think, "Someday I'd like to run like that, and how awesome is it that she/he's got such fantastic form. I bet s/he's worked a while to get there."

And when more experienced runners see me lurching along a trail, they give me a kind, understanding, respectful smile that says, "Way to go. Sweat it out. Every step counts." Anyone who's been through a fitness regime knows that not everything is as it seems - you see someone going slow on a treadmill and even though it looks like they're phoning it in, it may be the very best they can do - because of an injury, an underlying health problem, whatever.

I've never once been looked down on by someone in a gym or a track, no matter how much I weighed.

Go to the class. No question.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a right to good health. Walk in there with your head held high and if someone looks just smile and say hello.
    Don't assume everyone will be judging you. You may be really surprised by the support.
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    One of my yoga instructors is actually larger than I am and in much better shape (that girl can bend). In this area (Washington, DC) a lot of the folks going to the gym are much younger and thinner. I try to block them out. I'm there for me, not for them.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about this. If they think anythink negative it really is their problem and not yours! Sounds good, go for it!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I would not even notice