• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Icrizz wrote: »
    You miss cheese because they line it with a chemical that's addicting. You won't miss it after awhile. Trust me.

It can seem like a vegan lifestyle is really restricting at first, but it's really not. It's new. It's drastically different. It can take awhile of experimenting before you find foods that you like. I'm always pro vegan. There isn't a need for us to eat meat or animal products. Especially dairy. There isn't anything healthy about putting another mammals hormones into your body that was made for baby calves. That's why some people see an improvement in their acne when they stop eating dairy - it's their hormones balancing out.
    It's really easy to harm yourself with veganism if you don't know what you're doing. It's important for the diet to be varied. I would encourage you to experiment with the foods that you don't like and to see if there's a way to make them more appealing.

I don't want to make this comment too long. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me

Please stop spreading misinformation on the boards...

What chemical is cheese lined with? All cheese? Velveeta? Gouda? Stilton? How is it addicting?

This is usually what people are referring to when they say cheese is addictive (although I've never heard it said that manufacturers "line" cheese with it before, that's a new phrasing): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casomorphin

Note that there is not any evidence showing that casomorphins have an impact on humans. It is purely speculative.

So what we're witnessing here is the birth of woo?

Judging by when I first heard about it, this woo is at least ready to start kindergarten. It's been rattling around the vegan community for a few years now. It's usually used as an attempt to get people to quit cheese by making them think they're consuming the equivalent of prescription opiates.

I think most of us who have had cheese and heavy-duty painkillers can understand that there is a meaningful distinction between the two. I mean, cheese is delicious but I haven't had any for over a decade and I don't really miss it. Opiates, on the other hand, destroy lives. I try to be understanding, but as someone whose family has been impacted by opiate addiction, this sort of thing sets my teeth on edge.

I rarely go a day without cheese but if I do, I don't crave it. Heck, I live in Wisconsin where some of the best cheese is made so it is always easy to get and if it were addicting a large portion of the state would be having problems. We tend to keep the good stuff in-state and any grocery will have great locally produced cheese.

Yeah, I don't think we need an addiction-conspiracy theory to explain why people think delicious foods are delicious.

I recently heard a sound bite style news report that "a new study shows" that casein "lights up" the same part of the brain that drugs do, ergo and heretofore making cheese addictive. Not sure why just cheese specifically, as opposed to all the dairy products that contain casein. I wondered if this was the end of sugar being the debil drug that food companies hooked us with and now it was cheese. I mean, when the pendulum swings, it swings like a son of a gun. Everyone duck!

OP, any diet can be healthy or unhealthy. You need to find a way to eat that makes it easy for you to stick to the right calorie level, makes you feel good and healthy, allows you to eat a varied diet, and doesn't cause you any ethical concerns. Only you know if that is veganism or not. Don't get too caught up in eating in a way that has a name though!

I have heard people say that the casein is "concentrated" when cheese is made, due to the fact that water content is strained off to isolate the cheese solids.

I have never made (dairy) cheese and I don't know much about it (other than watching one episode of Ina Garten where her husband went to a cheese factory), so I don't know if that is accurate. But that's the explanation given as to why cheese would be more addictive than, say, a glass of milk.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You miss cheese because they line it with a chemical that's addicting. You won't miss it after awhile. Trust me.

It can seem like a vegan lifestyle is really restricting at first, but it's really not. It's new. It's drastically different. It can take awhile of experimenting before you find foods that you like. I'm always pro vegan. There isn't a need for us to eat meat or animal products. Especially dairy. There isn't anything healthy about putting another mammals hormones into your body that was made for baby calves. That's why some people see an improvement in their acne when they stop eating dairy - it's their hormones balancing out.
    It's really easy to harm yourself with veganism if you don't know what you're doing. It's important for the diet to be varied. I would encourage you to experiment with the foods that you don't like and to see if there's a way to make them more appealing.

I don't want to make this comment too long. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me

What chemical is cheese lined with? All cheese? Velveeta? Gouda? Stilton? How is it addicting?

This is usually what people are referring to when they say cheese is addictive (although I've never heard it said that manufacturers "line" cheese with it before, that's a new phrasing): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casomorphin

Note that there is not any evidence showing that casomorphins have an impact on humans. It is purely speculative.

Judging by when I first heard about it, this woo is at least ready to start kindergarten. It's been rattling around the vegan community for a few years now. It's usually used as an attempt to get people to quit cheese by making them think they're consuming the equivalent of prescription opiates.

I think most of us who have had cheese and heavy-duty painkillers can understand that there is a meaningful distinction between the two. I mean, cheese is delicious but I haven't had any for over a decade and I don't really miss it. Opiates, on the other hand, destroy lives. I try to be understanding, but as someone whose family has been impacted by opiate addiction, this sort of thing sets my teeth on edge.

I rarely go a day without cheese but if I do, I don't crave it. Heck, I live in Wisconsin where some of the best cheese is made so it is always easy to get and if it were addicting a large portion of the state would be having problems. We tend to keep the good stuff in-state and any grocery will have great locally produced cheese.

Yeah, I don't think we need an addiction-conspiracy theory to explain why people think delicious foods are delicious.

I recently heard a sound bite style news report that "a new study shows" that casein "lights up" the same part of the brain that drugs do, ergo and heretofore making cheese addictive. Not sure why just cheese specifically, as opposed to all the dairy products that contain casein. I wondered if this was the end of sugar being the debil drug that food companies hooked us with and now it was cheese. I mean, when the pendulum swings, it swings like a son of a gun. Everyone duck!

OP, any diet can be healthy or unhealthy. You need to find a way to eat that makes it easy for you to stick to the right calorie level, makes you feel good and healthy, allows you to eat a varied diet, and doesn't cause you any ethical concerns. Only you know if that is veganism or not. Don't get too caught up in eating in a way that has a name though!

I have heard people say that the casein is "concentrated" when cheese is made, due to the fact that water content is strained off to isolate the cheese solids.

I have never made (dairy) cheese and I don't know much about it (other than watching one episode of Ina Garten where her husband went to a cheese factory), so I don't know if that is accurate. But that's the explanation given as to why cheese would be more addictive than, say, a glass of milk.

Rennet is used in cheesemaking because it contains enzymes that curdle the casein in the milk. In a baby mammal, this makes it more digestible after the baby feeds. In cheesemaking it separates the liquids from the solids so yes, it is more concentrated in cheese. Casein is the most prevalent protein in dairy.

To confirm what I was pretty sure I knew already I googled casein. Wow! This is definitely the next "sugar is the debil" woo coming out. Next time I see my niece I will have to ask her about it. She is marketing director of the cheese division of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. They probably are already preparing info to counter the woo.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Rennet is used in cheesemaking because it contains enzymes that curdle the casein in the milk. In a baby mammal, this makes it more digestible after the baby feeds. In cheesemaking it separates the liquids from the solids so yes, it is more concentrated in cheese. Casein is the most prevalent protein in dairy.

To confirm what I was pretty sure I knew already I googled casein. Wow! This is definitely the next "sugar is the debil" woo coming out. Next time I see my niece I will have to ask her about it. She is marketing director of the cheese division of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. They probably are already preparing info to counter the woo.

Thanks for the confirmation! I wasn't sure if I had it right or not.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Until you start posting valid sources, your claims are not valid. I’d like to know, what chemical?
    I am going to guess that the OP of this claim is a college student, college students know everything. She probably read that statement on a pro-vegan website and repeats it without verifying the information.
    Do you consume DHMO?
    Dihydrogen monoxide can be very lethal! If only more people knew of the dangers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    An aside, addressed to newer vegetarians: If the idea that cheese uses animal rennet is new and distressing to you, be aware that vegetable rennet is a thing. Sometimes labels even designate. :drinker:
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    An aside, addressed to newer vegetarians: If the idea that cheese uses animal rennet is new and distressing to you, be aware that vegetable rennet is a thing. Sometimes labels even designate. :drinker:

And some cheeses, especially soft unripened ones like cream cheese, ricotta, and cottage cheese do not use rennet at all.

Also, I have had lacto-ovo vegetarian friends tell me that if the source of the rennet isn't listed on the label, many companies will be happy to tell you what they use if you contact them via email or customer service hotline.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    @DoubleUbea "I am going to guess that the OP of this claim is a college student, college students know everything. She probably read that statement on a pro-vegan website and repeats it without verifying the information."

Umm, excuse me, I am a PhD student and I certainly don't think I know everything. In fact, the more I study, the more I realise I dont know! Please don't throw stereotypes around.

Unless I am mistaken @lcrizz is the originator of the wild cheese addiction claim. Why are you acting defensive?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Gawd, and it's only Monday.

There must be some new woo "study" making the rounds - I've seen this "cheese = opioids" in a couple of places recently. Next thing you know, we'll all find out bananas have an effect like heroin on the human brain!!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

There must be some new woo "study" making the rounds - I've seen this "cheese = opioids" in a couple of places recently. Next thing you know, we'll all find out bananas have an effect like heroin on the human brain!!!

Aw, nobody better be swatting at bananas with the woo stick. I love to nibble on mine between sets. I usually have a couple a day.
    :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

If you love bananas like you love petting puppies, then yes.