WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have enough clothes to last me the rest of my life! I plan on living at least 30 more years… Shoes both campers are full and I still have a container full in storage! Purses I have 8 and I generally don't carry one because I usually forget it or lose it!

<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Dr. Katie: Walking is a great plan as long as weather is cooperative. Many people walk in malls during inclement weather. The nearest mall to us is ridiculously far away through nasty traffic. That is why I appreciate my local gym membership, which is paid for by our healthcare insurance and gives me access to yoga classes and stationary bikes & other good things. :smiley:

Heather: It sounds as though your DH & family did a good job remembering your birthday and letting you know you’re important to them. CONGRATULATIONS! :bigsmile:

Viv: Thanks for the reminder to be thankful. :heart:

Machka: Great advice to Dandi 1986 regarding protecting broken ribs. :star:

Lisa: I’m betting your event will be a staggering success. :bigsmile:

Barbara: It is DD who has a remarkable attitude. DH & I are both less willing to face such a big challenge. I think of us as practical and sensible. I’m keeping my mouth shut as much as I can, although I am the product of a family of unasked for advice givers. Which is why I suggested the idea of talking to her county extension agent. :embarassed:

Carol: Get a doctor’s note that you need a handicapped parking hanger & take it to your Department of Motor Vehicles. I suspect they’ll give you one on the spot. That is all that DH had to do. :flowerforyou:

Regarding feet & shoes—I have narrow feet and have always had a tough time finding shoes that fit. I’m better off in the footwear department right now than ever before. I now own one pair of black dress boots that fit but need thick socks, and black leather sandals that are dressy enough to wear with nice clothes on dressy occasions. I recently bought a pair of SAS walking shoes that are an absolute delight. (It is rare that I find shoes that fit my narrow feet well.) I also have hiking boots that I’ve owned for years and they fit well enough, too. Most of my growing up years I had blisters on my heels from poorly fitting saddle shoes.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Katla I hear you on the blisters!

Most people are unaware how lucky they are to be able to buy shoes that fit properly. I have a dozen or so pairs of shoes, but have probably never had any that fit properly except shoes that slip on (slide or clog style without backs).

I can not wear 99% of sandals (leather or worse, fake leather or plastic , directly in my feet means blisters. My backs of the heel is also shaped differently from most, so any shoe with a proper back immediately causes blisters. The gym shoe ‘slide’ style saved my life for walking, (think easy spirit) and I have a half dozen or so as back-ups as I fear the style will go ‘out of style’ and then I won’t be able to find walking shoes.

This is one more reason I don’t run, I can not find running shoes that support properly and do not cause painful blisters. My heel just doesn’t fit into standard shoes, especially gym shoes (trainers) which tend to have a built up bump exactly where I get constant blisters. lol- not that I want to run, so it does afford me a nice excuse!

Rye
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    edited October 2018
    :) All the shoes I wear for walking are made by New Balance. They are all expensive but fit, are comfortable, and last a long time. When I found the first pair, I said, "If it works, don't fix it " Now NB is the only brand I buy. I have wide feet and they have a size that fits me. We are headed for the shoe store as soon as Jake gets dressed

:) This is a blog post about the way I dress:

https://bemorewithless.com/project-333/
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I’m out and on my way home. Everything went well. Colonoscopy clear. Endoscopy shows some inflammation. I will do their drugs for the two weeks until I see the Doc and then bargain to control with diet.

Okie.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Okie glad all is well with the colonoscopy. I just love how much lighter I felt afterwards, and yes, some of those lbs will come right back, but enjoy the lighter feeling and get in a well deserved nap.

Kelly you are working such long hours!

I skipped the gym today because my neck is so sore :/ I may go for a walk before the weather turns for the worse.

I love New Balance sneakers, they are expensive but they last, (I add orthodics as well). As for wardrobe, I definitely have a capsule like style with plenty of repetition and a typical musician look---lots of black! But Heather pink gloves and a gray coat sound stunning! (i could never carry that look!)

NYKAREN

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited October 2018
    HEATHER: Late to the party but wishing you a very happy birthday. It sounds like it was a really good celebration! :)

KATLA & TRACY: I have asked my ortho doctor twice about getting a handicapped parking permit and was told that they won't give you one until after you have had knee surgery and it would only be for 6 months. My DH's vascular/heart doctor gave him one with no problem. I guess when I go back to my internist I will talk to her about it. It is not only my knees but being out of breath on the least bit of exercise.

SHOES: Since I have gained so much weight (123 to 170) my feet have gotten larger. I used to wear a 5-1/2 shoe and now need a 7. Haven't been able to find any shoes that seem comfortable. BARBIE: DH has New Balance and likes them a lot.

Got the cortisone shot in both knees, went to Kroger and got a flu shot, and then went to the AT&T store to see about signing up for their services to replace the XFinity service. The deal was cinched when I got home from the AT&T store and our Comcast internet went out. Because our home phone is hooked in with the internet, we missed the call from the refrigerator repairman and he decided not to come. Everything in the frig is melting. DH put 3 bags of ice inside hoping to save some of the food. The repairman is supposed to come back at 4 PM which is right now. We will see. Hope we don't have to replace the frig and hope all the food (which is quite a lot) doesn't completely ruin.

Carol in GA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    Barbie--Thanks for keeping us going another month. I pray your back keeps getting better each day. <3

Machka--I agree this adult thing is not all it's cracked up to be, But I also believe you have stepped up and done a great job with all you have had to deal with and learn this last year.

Okie--Happy B-lated birthday! Your lunch sounds very good.

Heather--Happy birthday!

Margaret--Thanks for sharing about the home tour. Sounds very interesting. I admit when I am walking in the evening I like looking in the big windows of homes that are lit up. It's like seeing into someone's life for just a second.

Meg--glad you made it back safe and sound. It's this weather crazy, been so cool this last week I even had the fireplace on in the evenings and now today is to be almost 80 and tomorrow 90 then back to 50-60.

Rebecca--I understand how you feel, I am just not comfortable going anywhere without DH for more then a couple hours. I usually talk myself out of it and don't go.

Mary--My heart is happy that you and Shep are back together.

Viv--Sorry for the news about your dad. Sending hugs and prayers for both of you.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    edited October 2018
    Heather - yay on the pink gloves! And a double yay on the news about your buyers! I am glad you have been having a very happy birthday!

Tracey- thanks! I think we both are happy!

Barbie- I love new balance tennis shoes! That is also the only brand I buy for comfort and fit my wide feet. I think it is from going barefoot as a child!

<3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    OAKIE: Were you ever really overweight? I just can't imagine. :)
  • okiewoman510
    edited October 2018
    You are too sweet Peach. I was obese with a BMI of 30.92. I know that’s not the gospel, but it is an indicator of where I started.
    9agqumt7iyev.jpg

Okie

edited to make the pic a spoiler
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Okie glad all is well with the colonoscopy. I just love how much lighter I felt afterwards, and yes, some of those lbs will come right back, but enjoy the lighter feeling and get in a well deserved nap.

Kelly you are working such long hours!

I skipped the gym today because my neck is so sore :/ I may go for a walk before the weather turns for the worse.

I love New Balance sneakers, they are expensive but they last, (I add orthodics as well). As for wardrobe, I definitely have a capsule like style with plenty of repetition and a typical musician look---lots of black! But Heather pink gloves and a gray coat sound stunning! (i could never carry that look!)

NYKAREN

I have two female cousins that swear by New Balance. They both have Fibromyalgia and say these are the only shoes they can walk in for any length of time.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • okiewoman510
    Running Shoes - Another Brooks girl here, in fact, hub got me a new pair for my Birthday. It is time to replace mine and I wasn't real happy with the latest iteration of my preferred style so he bought me a new style. They are very clunky looking, but for my exercise, they are perfect. Not something I would wear out and about with normal clothes. My friends with wide feet prefer new balance or Hoku.

Okie
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2018
    Okie I get the same type of feeling. I started out a similar BMI (but didn’t wear near as well as you did in that pic! ) and am now at the top end of normal. Medium size clothes are generally too big, but small size are usually too tight. So I still don’t like the way I look in clothes and my mind still calls me “fat”.

Not sure how to bring my mind’s eye up to date, lol.

Rye
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Vickil57 wrote: »

Margaret--Thanks for sharing about the home tour. Sounds very interesting. I admit when I am walking in the evening I like looking in the big windows of homes that are lit up. It's like seeing into someone's life for just a second.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that! I think I would have been a good anthropologist. I love exploring how others live.